Keystone Laredo travel trailer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tiger Rag said:
I went to one of the local RV supply's today to check out hitch options.? I mentioned the Reese dual cam hitch and they said they didn't recommend it due to after you get into a curve, that it no longer functions.? They prefer the friction controlled device.? They said it is always working, even in curves.? Any thoughts on whether this is the case or not?? Thanks, Matt

Check around a few other places.  Obviously the place you talked to did not have that particular hitch for sale.

I went to one of the local RV supply's today to check out hitch options.  I mentioned the Reese dual cam hitch and they said they didn't recommend it due to after you get into a curve, that it no longer functions.

Again nertz. 

The problem here is that if the bloody thing works, you don't know it is working.    I have used the Reese Dual Cam on a 30 foot trailer pulled by a E350 van and on a 23 foot trailer pulled by a Bronco.  I have even had it used on a boat trailer pulling a 20 foot ocean going boat with the van.  This over a period of some 15 years with the same gear.  Not once did I experience an apisode of instability or yawing.  That includes 30 knot cross winds in Banning Pass.  With passing buses, panel vans, and semis I can feel the shock wave hit the trailer but never experience any feeling of instability.

The only issue with the Reese system is that it depends on heavy tongue weights.  My 4650# dry weight trailer has a tongue weight of 750#, both figures coming from actual weighings.  I normally travel with a full 40 gallon water tank. 

I meant to add that this was a Reese dealer.  I can't remember if they had the dual cam or not, they just preferred the friction controlled device.  It was also a Reese product.  Is there any issue with the function of the friction device?

Tiger Rag said:
I meant to add that this was a Reese dealer.? I can't remember if they had the dual cam or not, they just preferred the friction controlled device.? It was also a Reese product.? Is there any issue with the function of the friction device?

Then I would ask around and try to get enough information that you feel comfortable.  Carl has provided some good advise and he has some good experience under his belt.

Tiger Rag said:
I meant to add that this was a Reese dealer.? I can't remember if they had the dual cam or not, they just preferred the friction controlled device.? It was also a Reese product.? Is there any issue with the function of the friction device?

One decider is the tongue weight of your trailer.  What is it?

Carl, one of the ones I'm looking at is 920 lbs (29'er), one is 620 lbs (25'er) and one (26'er) is not listed in the brochure.

Ask I've asked around, it seems like the dual cam is preferred.  The one Reese dealer is probably just pushing what they stock (with the friction bars).

I doubt I'll drop the $3g's for the Hensley.  Looks like you can get an Equal-i-zer for around $400 delivered from: http://www.rvwholesalers.com/catalog/product.php?productid=268&cat=0&page=1 , though I don't know enough about this one.  The Reese name has been around a long time, so I know what to expect from their products.  I'm guessing I'll source their product and probably install it myself.  I can folllow directions well and am fairly handy.  I figure if I do this, I'll learn how they work and will be able to make proper adjustments if need be.

Just saw a  picture here:

disthitch.JPG

It makes a lot more sense to me now on how it works.  Just needed a visual I guess  ;D !

Ok found some more infomation:

Reese Standard Friction Sway
It doesn't prevent the generation of sway; it simply works to resist the forces once they have started.

Reese Dual Cam HP Sway Control
This patented product is Reese Products main technique for controlling trailer sway. Unlike the friction sway control, this approach works to control sway from the start rather than just resisting sway once it's begun and it works only when needed.

Info seems to back you up Carl, not that I doubted you  ;D ! 

Well, just for the record, that's the same equalizer hitch I have.  I've had no problem with it, and haven't had any problems with sway with just the hitch.  But I probably will get a anti-sway before long.  That dual cam looks pretty nice, and not too 'spensive either.

Tiger Rag said:
Carl, one of the ones I'm looking at is 920 lbs (29'er), one is 620 lbs (25'er) and one (26'er) is not listed in the brochure. 

The 920 pounder should work just fine, the 620 about the same.  If they came in under 500 lbs I would ants a bit.

I'm guessing I'll source their product and probably install it myself.  I can folllow directions well and am fairly handy.  I figure if I do this, I'll learn how they work and will be able to make proper adjustments if need be.

Done it myself.  You will need to adjust the height of the ball mount, and and the angle of the ball from the vertical.  That done, you will need to adjust the tension of the spring bars to relevel the tow vehicle.    Reese had detailled instructions for both the ball mount and the bar adjustment.  Be sure you get spring bar ratings comfortably over you tongue weight.  My 750# works fine with 1000# rated bars.  They level a 4WD off road suspension  four chain links down.

Have owend two keystones both outbacks a 26rss TT and now a 28rls 5er like them both. you will have miner things with all brands. need to tighten lose screws, tighten water line fitings so on and so forth. Like the 5er better as far as towing. it does not sway like the tt does (every time a car passes you on the freeway) and the wind does not effect it near as much. Like the keystone brand they seem to have it down on making every square inch count.

Ok, we bought a RV.......well, kind of.  It was the right decision for us getting started and so far we love it.  We decided to see how we like this route first before we go with a travel trailer.  Here is what we decided to do:

Photo 1

Photo 2

Thanks again for all the advice, we may end up using that info if we decide to move up later.  Take care, Matt

PS.  BTW, it is a 2004 Rockwood Premier 2302

Attachments

• Ready to leave for WV.JPG
    Ready to leave for WV.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 51
  • Camping in WV-1.JPG
    Camping in WV-1.JPG
    155.5 KB · Views: 48

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members