Battery recommendation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Riverdog

Last fall I purchased a used TT (my first).  It had one 12v battery which has now died, however it does have placeholders for two.  I?m looking for recommendations as to what to use for a replacement.

Most of our trips are to full hook-up campgrounds, however I do still need a battery for the break-away brake and for the slide.  I will do a couple trips a year at primitive campgrounds but also have a Honda EU2000 I can bring along.

I know there is a lot of merit to running 2 6v?s, but am thinking I really only need one 12v based on my camping habits.  The battery I?m replacing had all the labels removed so I?m not sure of what type battery to use ? deep cycle, etc.  Any advice is appreciated.

I almost always recommend deep cycle batteries for rv use even if you don't boondock a lot. They are built with larger, thicker plates that will stand up to the bumping and bouncing of the rough(er) roads we tend to travel; as well as the longer life when subjected to deep discharges between charging. If you have room for two, get two. Less load on one means longer life, and it never hurts to have a back-up in case one develops a bad cell.

As to the "Advantages" of six volt golf cart batteries.... I know of one poster elsewhere who claims there are no true 12 volt deep cycle batteries out there (As it happens I have information he does not, there are, just not common).

It also is a fact that how you get to 230 amp hours of battery capacity really does not matter, 230 amp hours is 230 amp hours, don't matter if it's 12 volt batteries side by side or six volt end to end it's still 230 amp hours 115 usable and 12 volts.

HOWEVER: Let's look at golf cart batteries.. First, they are TRUE deep cycle, designed to take it if they have to. And what's more they are designed to be maintained by hired help (Theory is if I am the one paying for new batteries I'm going to pay more attention to maintenance than if the boss is buying them)

So, in the event that a deep discharge causes some material to flake off the plates they have more 'bottom room" (Distance between the bottom of the case and plates) and in case the hired hand does not check the fluid level often enough they have more Head room.  And they have the true deep cycle chemistry so if you go below 1/2 charge it's not as bad.

And ... They are used by thousands of golf courses in many more thousands of golf carts six at a time so they ship these suckers out by the semi load nearly every day.. The lines never shut down.

This means they cost less per watt

And that's where they shine,, Dollars per watt is better than anything else out there.

Ron likes Trojan's I like Interstate, we both agree on Excide (Avoid) and there is not much more I have to say.

buckle823 said:
I just use a couple 6v from Walmart. Works great, couldn't be cheaper.

I believe Walmart batteries are made by Exide and while cheaper to buy initially but will not last or give the service of a quality battery.  Bottom line you get what you pay for and in the case of Exide probably less IMHO.

John In Detroit said:
Ron likes Trojan's I like Interstate, we both agree on Excide (Avoid) and there is not much more I have to say.

Any comments on "Crown" made in Fremont Ohio? That is what my battery shop carries and I have in my rig.

A pair of high quality 6V deep cycle golf cart batteries (not just any 6V battery) will cost you a lot more up front but last longer, so the lifetime costs is similar to less expensive batteries. But if you don't maintain them properly, it doesn't make much difference what kind you buy. If you are NOT good at maintenance, buy a single inexpensive 12v "marine" battery and figure on replacing it in two years. But if you are willing to check the water regularly (how often depends on the quality of your charging system), go with the more expensive up front cost of the golf cart deep cycles.

Lots of folks get along fine with the cheap batteries - just don't expect a long life from them.

Confirming what Gary said, I've seen folks replace expensive Trojan deep cycle batteries after little more than 2 years because they weren't maintained properly. OTOH I've had generic golf cart batteries last well over 5 years with good maintenance. I've also heard of Trojan batteries lasting in excess of 10 years with good maintenance.

Thanks guys - I'm pretty vigilant about maintenance.  How does the saying go..."A penny for prevention......" or something like that.

One other question if you don't mind --- when I hook up the 6 volts in series to produce the needed 12 volt I assume the 12 volt on board charger will charge the two 6 volts correct?

Yes, your 12V charger will charge a pair of 6V batteries (in series) just as it would a 12V battery. Just be sure that the charger is connected to the "external" battery terminals (i.e. the positive terminal of one battery and the negative terminal of the other).

Thanks Tom - if I understand the hookup correctly all of the positive leads from the TT go to first battery and all of the negative leads from the TT go to the second battery.  Then there will be one single cable connecting the negative post from the first battery to the positive post on the second battery.

I will make the charging question easier

When you hook two six volt batteries in series (What I call "END TO END") you get... ONE 12 volt battery

Treat it as such save for lifting it in and out, and cleaning the battery terminals and most all your questions will be self answering.

Charging: 12volt battery

Replace just one? Can you replace 1/2 of a 12 volt battery
Same make, size, age, type, and so on:  Would you buy a 12 volt that was half Interstate half Excide?

And so the questions get answered

Back
Top Bottom