2004 COACHMEN FREEDOM 27' WITH CHEVROLET 6.0 ENGINE fuel economy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RADMANMOOSE

Hi evryone, I am a newbie.  I would like to buy a class c and came across this coacmen freedom with a great flooor plan.  The seller said at 58mph it gets 10mpg, at 65 it gets 8mpg!  I am wondering if there are better choices.  is the Ford motor better?  I like the Winnebago View/Navion, but I don't want to pay $72,000to get 17mpg.  I also looked at a Winnebego vista with a VW motor.  I am really confused.  Can anyone give some advice to me would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You so much.

If you are going to use this unit as a vacation unit, it's OK and lower end classification. There are a lot better units out there to purchase. Everyone has to make their own decision. JMO

The MPG is pretty typical of a Class C and smaller Class A's.  I get 10 - 11 mpg in my 2006 Dutchmen (Ford E450) at 55mph, with or without my toad (2300lb) - which is pretty lightweight as toads go.  An increase/decrease of a mile or two per gallon will depend largely on the condition of the engine, tire inflation, terrain and the way it's driven. I'd be surprised if you got anything close to 17 mpg from any Class C.  For that mileage you would be looking at a Class B.

Do your homework and look at as many makes and models - new and used - before you chose.  If you still like the floorplan of the Coachmen and it suits your purpose, go for it.  It's not a 'high-end' coach but it's probably not a 'high-end' price either.  Good luck!

BT

Thank You all very much!
I want to get a small coach 22-26 ft class c not just for vacation but use around town on the weekends.  I know ultimately I need to choose, but if you can offer any suggestions of models that are mid or higher end ones choices or offfer the best economy or reliabilty.  I don't want to be stranded anywhere with my kids, nor do i want to have to be repairing it daily.  I am new to rving and am excited, but scared to make the wrong choice if I am not aware of other choices.
Thanks again

Our old 24-foot Class C Coachman (Chevy engine) got anywhere from 6 mpg (climbing mountain passes) to 10 mpg (going down the other side of the mountain passes) and averaged 7.9 mpg driving 100,000 miles over 14 years in a variety of terrains. HTH

Wendy

High fuel economy is not anything you will find on any RV.  Period.  Maybe that will change in future years with hybrid engines and other new technologies, but it's just not the case now.  So you will first have to know that 6-10 mpg is the average for most sizes and styles, and once you get past that reality the rest of your decision-making will be much easier.  ;)

Another thing is that part of RV ownership is tinkering.  There will always be little things to fix.  Might be mechanical (like a car) and might be structural (like a house), since a camper is a little of both.  If you rely on "professionals" for all these things, the cost can be staggering.  But obviously none of US do that, and there's really no need to with a resource like this forum.  :)

As far as reliability, every manufacturer has lemons and cherries.  I would recommend you continue shopping for well-maintained used units, and don't settle on a specific year/make/model just yet.  Unless you're sure that the '04 Freedom is the only model that has the floorplan you like (probably not the case).

What makes you choose Class C over Class A?

Hello and thanks to all,
I like class A, but my son likes the bed on top, but I guess there are class A with bunk beds too.  I just don't want too large and I thought there are no class A 23ft-27ft.  What are the advantages of class A?  Also is a deisel a huge advantage or better economy?
Hope to RV soon.. :)

RADMANMOOSE said:
I like class A, but my son likes the bed on top, but I guess there are class A with bunk beds too.  I just don't want too large and I thought there are no class A 23ft-27ft.  What are the advantages of class A?  Also is a deisel a huge advantage or better economy?
Hope to RV soon.. :)

The Fleetwood Flair (a Class A) came in 26 ft. models for several years in the 90's.  I know because I considered buying one before I decided to go BIG.  ;)  It still slept 5-6 by way of a rear corner full-size bed, collapsible dinette (or couch, can't remember which), and a drop down bunk over the front seats.  But it would be a pretty tight fit with all the beds extended, as will just about any Class C of the same vintage.  If you are looking at '04 or so models, slides are probably a definite so lack of space may not be a big problem for a Class C.

Search for any number of previous threads "Class A vs. Class C" and you will find all sorts of opinions for and against either body style.  It's really what will fit your needs most.  Diesels are generally only more economical if you are traveling tens of thousands of miles per year.  Otherwise a gas RV should be just fine, and in many ways are easier to maintain for the "do it yourselfer".

EDIT: here are a few of those "A versus C" discussions I mentioned above.  These are just a couple that came up on a quick search, I'm sure there are more... but you will likely see the same themes throughout all of the threads:

- Class A vs C...and other questions by some newbs
- Class A or C
- Handling in the wind? Class A vs Class C
- Class A or C w/ Kids

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom