Southern CA, dont come this way... big storms on the way

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bob Buchanan said:
... I thought it read, Golfers. We "do" have to keep Golfers off the levee's.

LOL Bob, no golfers in this household, on or off the levee.

Thanks for the lesson in earth dam/levee construction. I honestly don't know whether to be concerned or not. We have a Reclamation District office right here in our community, and I'm told the guy regularly patrols the levees, including the ones on which houses are built. Where he deems appropriate, he'll recommend that a homeowner adds rip rap to reinforce the levee.

The Feds provide the rock and the homeowner pays for it to be put in place. Although he hasn't approached us, I have a TBD item to ask the guy to check out our levee, specifically around our house, and determine if we need more rip rap. Chris recently had the gardener trim back some bushes which will make it easier to inspect and easier for the guy who has to dump any additional rock.

This discussion reminded me I needed to add more rip rap to the levee. This morning a truck turned up and dropped a load of rock in our driveway. Six guys with shovels and wheelbarrows didn't take very long to move this stuff to the rear of the house. Note how they first put plywood on the driveway to protect it.

I convinced 4 neighbors they also needed additional rock behind their houses, and they placed their orders. I'm doing my part to help protect Delta levees  ;D

Attachments

• riprap.jpg
    riprap.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 35
I convinced 4 neighbors they also needed additional rock behind their houses, and they placed their orders. I'm doing my part to help protect Delta levees  Grin

Tom,you're a great American.

I hope the governor's budget cuts don't remove the funding of levee repair. Parts of the Sacramento and San Joaquin valleys will look like New Orleans post Katrina if those things don't get fixed.

Dave,

I didn't get to see all the details of the budget yet. I heard he cut school funding and plans to close a number of state parks. For good measure, he's letting thousands of criminals out of prison. If he cuts levee funding, that will be just one more promise he'll have broken.

Good morning, Tom.

Allow me to slip in a bit of info here for all the landlubbers, re rip rap.

Word origin and meaning:

RIP-RAP:
    "loose stone thrown down in water or soft ground as foundation," 1822, Amer.Eng., from earlier nautical meaning "stretch of rippling water" (often caused by underwater elevations), 1669, probably of imitative origin.

Betcha that made your day. How are you going to complete the job? Stone by stone?

carson, FL

LOL, thanks for the explanation Carson.

How are you going to complete the job? Stone by stone?

Yes, but it won't be me; I have a tough time just standing on the rocky slope of the levee. We have a team of 6 young, strong Mexican guys here and, yes, they'll be moving them one rock at a time.

Robert,

Yes, high humidity (relative). Foggy early in the morning and light rain. The grass and the tree are gone, and the workers are slopping around in the mud digging trenches, laying new drainage pipes and modifying sprinklers.  I'm hoping they'll get gravel down and compacted for the new paved areas today. Chris is at the nursery again looking for drought resistant shrubs.

This brings back memories of what we did ouselves at the old house, but that was a much larger area. Chris and I moved 20,000 lbs of baserock for the RV pad one weekend. Sure wish I'd had these guys to do that.

Should I have them take out your lawn so you don't need to pay the gardener to mow it?

Found another (5th) neighbor who needs more rock behind his house. Maybe we'll start a trend in the neighborhood by putting out a sign saying "free rock, courtesy of the Federal Government" or "your tax $$ at work".

caltex said:
Think I will wait and see what yours looks like before I rip mine up.

Glad you said that, because they were going to cross the street tomorrow  ;D

How many times have we alternated being the guinea pig over the years. Next time, it's your turn to go first  ;)

Back
Top Bottom