What are the width rules?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UK_Al

Hi all

I have been following the recent posts on this forum and elsewhere regarding length and width regulations and other problems when registering an American RV import and it seems very much like a mine field.

I am planning an extended trip to the USA and would like to bring the purchased RV back to the UK but am wondering whether its worth the bother when looking at the confusion on registration.

Does anyone have any recent experience on this that may be helpful?

What is the reliability or the RV list on the RVDA site
http://www.rvda.co.uk/rvlist.php
does the list have any relevance when registration is attempted or is measurement of each vehicle undertaken by the DVLA or VSO (?)

I have tried to follow links that purport to give a list of allowable RV's listed
on the SMMT site but cannot seem to get the information referred to - am I missing something or is the list no longer available/relevant?

Are there any rules in this game or is it just a lottery?

I'm interested in a Winnebago Adventurer, manufacturer's width 101.5 inches = 257.8cm but sized at 253.5 on the RVDA list or possibly a Coachmen Mirada listed as 99inches = 251.5cm by the manufacturer and also on the RDVA list.

Also if it is illegal to drive a vehicle unregistered except to a test station how should do I get it from port of entry to vehicle conversion site so as to make it legal before registration? Do I have to hire a trailer or something?

Can anyone offer any Help! from recent experience?
??? ???
Al
[edit]Changed subject.[/edit]

Hi UK_AL
I was lucky enough to import our Fleetwood Revolution just as the whole debate on oversized RVs started.Paul  aka UK RV will be along shortly with a full rundown as he has just recently imported a Fleetwood Expedition .As for driving to the testing station ,you are allowed to drive it from docks to place of conversion,not sure if it has to be on USA plates but mine was as i drove it from Southampton back to Cornwall where i did the conversion myself.You must be insured and can get that on just the vin number .Been a few years since i did ours but as i said Paul will give a full run down

Happy to give any advice i can
Ian

Oh - my favourite topic (the one which leads me into all sorts of trouble  ::) ).

Does anyone have any recent experience on this that may be helpful?

I imported my Fleetwood Expedition in April 2006. A friend imported his Revolution a few months later.

Neither of us had any problems (other than DVLA trying to give us older registration plate than we were entitled).

What is the reliability or the RV list on the RVDA site
http://www.rvda.co.uk/rvlist.php
does the list have any relevance when registration is attempted or is measurement of each vehicle undertaken by the DVLA or VSO (?)

Forget everything written on the RVDA website - they havent updated it since April last year, and even then it wasn't accurate.

The RVDA have now refused to help any private individuals, claiming they are a dealers association.

Unfortunately, they promised to keep everyone informed when they were asking for everyones help. Now they seem to have had a result they are keeping things to themselves.

I have tried to follow links that purport to give a list of allowable RV's listed
on the SMMT site but cannot seem to get the information referred to - am I missing something or is the list no longer available/relevant?

The SMMT List has been abolished (and the RVDA one is also void).

The SMMT are now out of the loop as far as RVs are concerned.

Are there any rules in this game or is it just a lottery?

The RVDA claim that awnings, wheel arches, ladders etc are now exempt from measurement. They suggest that you ensure the RV "body" is under 2.55m wide - except nobody is able to say 100% how the body should be measured.

The general belief is from external window frame on drivers side to external window passenger side, excluding window rubbers. The RVDA claim the DVLA will allow a "tolerance" for this measurement but nobody has it in writing.

Now, Travelworld claim the awnings etc ARE to be included and actually have all their vehicles modified so that the awnings are roof mounted and the grab handles are flush mounted.

If you write to the DVLA, you won't get anything clearer - one office will tell you one thing and another office something different.

It really is a mess still.

I'm interested in a Winnebago Adventurer, manufacturer's width 101.5 inches = 257.8cm but sized at 253.5 on the RVDA list or possibly a Coachmen Mirada listed as 99inches = 251.5cm by the manufacturer and also on the RDVA list.

Im not even going to get involved with suggesting a make :D

You have to make you own decision on what to do.

I would say that my Expedition is listed as 102" on the Fleetwood website but measured less (under 2.55m) from window to window.

One suggestion is to stick to a model being imported and sold by RVDA members - I would keep an eye on Itchyfeet (Cornwall) and import something he has already imported - maybe even register at his local DVLA office.

Also if it is illegal to drive a vehicle unregistered except to a test station how should do I get it from port of entry to vehicle conversion site so as to make it legal before registration? Do I have to hire a trailer or something?

Ian has covered that one  ;D

Paul

PS come and take a look at rvfulltiming.com and motorhomefun.co.uk - both usefull UK sites.

UK-RV said:
One suggestion is to stick to a model being imported and sold by RVDA members - I would keep an eye on Itchyfeet (Cornwall) and import something he has already imported - maybe even register at his local DVLA office.

Paul

Paul,
As you know in Sept / Oct 2005 Itchyfeet imported a Fleetwood Revolution 40L which when presented was 4" ( 4 inches ) over the maximum 39ft - 3" in length.

In Sept 2006 the same RV was again presented for registration and passed and Eric quoted this on his web site.
In September 2006 we finally registered our Fleetwood Revolution. You really do wonder what all the fuss was about. I still laugh with myself today about the difference 4 inches can make! Seriously, it's all down to how a human interprets a tape measure and where he or she actually measures the motorhome from or interprets a manufacturers website. This has been the problem for the private individual and certain dealers that have to physically present their vehicles for inspection.

We are currently in the USA having bought a Fleetwood Discovery which when measured as Paul suggests is 100" wide but that is only good news if MR or MRS DVLA inspector also measure at this location :mad:

We are enjoying America whilst monitoring those forums Paul mentioned for news of any DVLA developments.

Tom,

I didnt realise just how much you had added to the Library - lots of useful stuff.

Particulalry liked the Swansea bit you linked to.  ;D

Paul

Thanks Paul. As I'm sure you realize, much of the content in the library comes from discussions here in the forum and from files contributed by forum members. It's a continual work in progress that I'm always looking to expand and improve. You'll probably recognize that your own stories have been an inspiration for some of the content.

Glad you liked the Swansea/DVLA file. I did that as an attempt at comic relief for folks who feel they're running into a brick wall. It was inspired by the time when I worked not far from the DVLA and used to entertain business visitors at that same pub (the Plough and Harrow). Many a pint served over lunch helped to pave the way for business agreements when we got back to the office, aka 'greasing the skids' on this side of the Atlantic.

I hasten to add that, although I dealt with business people and government employees from all over the UK and Europe, I never had business dealings with anyone at the DVLA in Morriston. However, my wife worked there and her sister still does. I doubt that either of them would approve of me posting that file  ;D

"....DVLA......my wife worked there and her sister still does...."

AT LAST - we have a contact within the DVLA.  ;D

You better get her prepped Tom - we'll direct all enquiries thru you then ?  :D

Paul

LOL Paul. Actually, I vaguely recall asking my sister in law a question that had been posed here, and posting the reply. But that was a year or two ago.

An item of trivia; When Chris (my wife) worked for DVLA, she dealt with Prince Charles' application for a driving licence. She should have insisted he drop "Wales" from his title, since he's not of Welsh descent. Now we're getting into one of MY favorite subjects  ;D

Edit: To keep this on topic, monarchy-related responses have been moved here.

Thanks all for the rapid information. Seems like the best idea for me is to go armed with a tape measure and then on return to UK register the vehicle in Cornwall like Paul suggests. Reckon Wales is out Tom, cos I never was much good with foreign languages!

If I think of any other questions I'll be back again.

Just one for now, any problems with the Montana LLC ruse?

Cheers all

Al

Al,

You could also cut a few inches out of the middle of a tape, glue it back together, and take it along to your appointment at the DVLA. When they're ready to measure, just whip out your tape and say "allow me".

Tom,

What a great idea!

Why didn't I think of it - easier than learning foreign languages.

Al

Al,

I forgot to suggest you use the Advanced search link above to search for "Montana LLC" (including the quotes). You'll find some prior discussions on that subject.

Re Winnebago Adventurer vs Mirada
Well, I'm biased since I have an Adventurer, but IMHO there is NO COMPARISON between those two. The Coachman Mirada is a much inferior coach. The Winnebago is an honest RV. The Mirada will be cheaper, but the Winne will win out in the end.
Rankjo

AL,

The big UK RV dealers in my opinion are Westcroft, Travelworld, Dudleys and Freedom.

Now due to the volume of imports these dealers make they have a special arrangement which exempts them from being checked by the DVLA, this is because they have agreed to only import legal RVs, I just cannot recall the official title of this arrangement.

Now I still doubt if any A class pusher, Damon, Winnebago or Monaco RV's  are 2.55m or less yet these dealers regularly import them, which is what is stirring up so much ill feeling, so as Paul suggest with Itchy Feet, register your import at one the offices these dealers use.

So
Westcroft & Travelworld - Shrewsbury.
Dudleys - Oxford
Freedom & Itchy Feet - Truro

::) As most will be aware on this forum? We bought a Newmar in Florida, registered via a Montana LLC, toured for a while and then shipped it back to the UK in March 2006. DVLA Sheffield regused us registration. However. In August 2007 we applied to DVLA Sheffield again and were allowed registration. Whoever registers the imported RV fills out the form V55/5 with the measurements and signs to that effect.  ;D

Back
Top Bottom