A Good Question for Ned re: wireless printer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jackliz

Howdy.

I use an HP wireless printer. The printer and my laptop computer communicate via an WiFi ad hoc set up. Can other computers "see" my printer on a network and communicate with it? If so, why? If not, why not?

Thanks,
Liz

Yes, they can.  You should use encryption just as you would for a WiFi connection to an access point.  Better yet, use an access point with WPA encryption and connect the printer and computer(s) through the AP.  Much more flexible and safer than an ad hoc WiFi network.

Since you have an aircard, get a supported router and use it for the AP.

Ned said:
Yes, they can.  You should use encryption just as you would for a WiFi connection to an access point.  Better yet, use an access point with WPA encryption and connect the printer and computer(s) through the AP.  Much more flexible and safer than an ad hoc WiFi network.

Hmmmm. I will have to look into how to set that up.

Since you have an aircard, get a supported router and use it for the AP.

I have a new USB modem. Why do you suggest getting a router?

My laptop has two USB ports. I may need more ports.

I have a new USB modem. Why do you suggest getting a router?

I'm assuming by modem you mean aircard, as I thought you said that's what you bought.  By plugging the aircard into the router, all the computers can share the internet connection and the printer plus you get a firewall between you and the internet.

No, I mean USB modem, model # USB720. It looks like a little plastic rectangular box. I am not sure what an "aircard" is , now.

BTW, I am posting another thread about this Verizon modem as Jack's laptop doesn't like it.  :(  :(

Liz

The USB720 is the same as an aircard, but using the USB port instead of the PC Card slot.  There are routers that will accept the USB720 as well as an aircard.

Ned said:
The USB720 is the same as an aircard, but using the USB port instead of the PC Card slot.  There are routers that will accept the USB720 as well as an aircard.

Oh, O.K. 

Thanks,
Liz

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom