2 cycle outboard vs. 4 cycle ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wally12

I am looking for a 5 HP or 6 HP outboard motor for a porta bote I just purchased. I understand that in Calif. there are several lakes that do not allow 2 cycle motors; Also that that new  2 cycle outboards are not allowed to be sold in the Sate. I am wondering if this restriction exist in other states and Canada ?
I have run across several 2 cycle outboards that seem to be fair deals but I don't want to end up with a unit that is limited to specific locations.
What are your preferences and why ?
Thanks
Fred

Fred,

For sure, you can no longer buy a 2-cycle OB in California. The equivalent 4-cycle will be heavier to lift on and off the boat, but maybe not as big an issue with a 5hp motor.

There are only a few places where you can't use a 2-cycle in California (e.g. Lake Tahoe). Numerous 2-cycle watercrafts exist here. I know folks who, wishing to replace a 2-cycle engine, bought it from somewhere in Canada and had it shipped down here.

The two issues with 4-cycle and 2-cycle are weight and cost. 4 cycles are more complex than 2 cycles and therefore cost more and weigh more. But they work really well, smoke less and are nicer to own. For myself, 4-cycle is the only way to go.
The other issue which should be first on your mind is your responsibility to the environment. I saw a (Canadian) TV show that matched an older 2-cycle running for ONE HOUR to 8000km in a modern car.  Wow.
I don't want to sound preachy, but there you go. We can't afford 2-cycles anymore. I don't like the extra weight on my racing sailboat, but that's how it has to be.
Rankjo

I knew this would turn into a green discussion  ;D

Local and state regulations against 2 cycle engines while being well intentioned are not addressing the question realistically.  In Fact, the new generation of 2 cycle engines are being built with direct fuel injection and recirculating oil systems, and actually produce the same or less pollution than the 4 cycle units not similarly equipped.  The restrictions which should be used would be similar to the automotive requirements.
Art

I've got a 280 HP twin engine jet boat, so I don't have anything to contribute!

Tom said:
I knew this would turn into a green discussion  ;D

Is there something wrong with this being a green discussion??

But I acknowledge that 2 strokes have gone through immense improvements.
Rankjo

rankjo said:
Is there something wrong with this being a green discussion??

Not at all, and maybe you missed the smiley  ;D in my prior message. I'll admit it was said a little tongue in cheek, but I'm a little tired of every ad I see/read from every company trying to prove that they've "gone green". Some may be walking the walk, but most are talking the talk, just to be politically correct. Heck, even one of the TV news programs a few days ago tried to convince the audience they were a "green station".

Reminds me of a well known Japanese electronics company I visited about 8-10 years ago. Outside the gate they had huge billboards, one for their ISO 9000 (quality) certification and the other for their ISO 14000 (environmental) certification. We were required to remove our street shoes as we entered the building. My translator excused herself because she needed to go to the ladies room. When she came back she said "there's a sign in the ladies room saying 'flush it once before you go, and three times after you've been' ". Our host finally greeted us in a conference room and proceeded to blow smoke in my face for the next couple of hours as he chain smoked. I guess he either missed one of the signs or fell asleep in class that day.

I have hundreds of (true) stories like that from companies around the world. So, apologies if I come across a little cynical. It's not intentional.

Back
Top Bottom