Is this too much$ for this RV on Ebay?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IwannaRV

Since I just bought my 93 32' Gulfstream Sun Voyager DP a few weeks ago (see my sig) , I still look at others on the web to see what they are going for and how I did on mine. This one on Ebay is currently at $17,100 and reserve has not been met yet!

94 Sun Voyager

It's no where near as nice as mine and I paid $2000 less than the current bid price. That thing has some pretty ugly body damage and the windshield is cracked! Does writing the auction in CAPS and threatening to fix it and sell it for more make bidders want it more!!!??? It seems to be working for him! I wonder what his reserve is? Are people nuts?

I think I did ok on mine. whadaya think?

Note that it has a Pennsylvania Salvage Title.  That sounds like it was totaled by an insurance company to me...

KodiakRV said:
Note that it has a Pennsylvania Salvage Title.  That sounds like it was totaled by an insurance company to me...

That right there tells that the only wise choice is to forget it IMHO.

Well, that's the beauty (and ugliness) of E-bay.  If someone can sell a piece of toast or a pancake that has some semblence of the Virgin Mary on it (even if us normal folk can't see it), then I expect this guy can sell this RV as well.  And chances are at least good that he'll get some sucker to pay what he's asking.  Right, wrong or whatever, it's just the world we live in.

Someone should post a question to the seller so the bidders can see that it is already above NADA and reserve is not met yet. It may prompt them to back out of their bid. NADA values are based on vehicle in good condition which this one is clearly not.

The wonders of eBay.

A couple of years ago a friend listed the shell of an old car (no engine) - IIRC it was an Alfa Romeo - that had sat alongside his barn for 20 years. He made the condition of the car very clear in the ad, including the fact that the floors were rusted through from rain blown through windows that hadn't closed for years. He was going to put the reserve at $1,500, but his wife suggested he make it $5,000 and re-list it with a lower reserve if it didn't sell. The winning bid was over $14,000 from an overseas buyer who paid via wire transfer and arranged/paid to have the shell picked up and shipped.

When I recently talked to our friend and reminded him about this story, he told me the buyer had called after the car arrived. Our friend was hesitant to pick up the phone when he saw the overseas number, but he answered. Sure enough it was the buyer who was ecstatic that the car was in better condition than he was expecting.

IwannaRV said:
I think I did ok on mine. whadaya think?

It feels good, doesn't it?  :)  I did (and actually still do) check up on similar Thor models after I bought mine, just to compare and see if any of them sold for less.  Think of "Deal or No Deal" when Howie opens up that last case to see how good of a deal the contestant got.  To this day I still haven't found a better price than what I got, and it's a good feeling.  It means all my homework, researching, and education (mostly given to me by members of this forum) paid off. 

Yes, people on eBay are crazy - buyers and sellers alike!  Just don't become one of them and you'll be in good shape.  ;)  Also keep in mind that there's no guarantee any particular eBay buyer will ever show up to pay the winning bid.  This is evidenced in a Thor Residency (almost exactly like mine) in California that I've seen listed 4 or 5 times now.  In fact it was one that I was considering back in June, and was communicating with the seller before I found mine in New York.  Out of those 4-5 times it's been for sale, it "sold" 2 times I think.  Obviously the buyers never actually showed up and paid, and the crazy part is the seller subsequently RAISED his minimum bid price after the first few failed attempts at selling!  ::)

re Thor Residency sold twice on Ebay
Perhaps the two buyers turned up and realized it was a piece of crap.
The seller then has two options, 1. lower the price----bummmer. 2. Raise the price and hope someone will buy it unseen and ship it.
ps. Three m's in "bummmer" looks cute, now doesn't it?
Rankjo

I have herd that there is a fool born every second of every day and that at the end of each day there is one person born to take advantage of all the fools born that day.

tweak said:
I have herd that there is a fool born every second of every day and that at the end of each day there is one person born to take advantage of all the fools born that day.

Probably TWO people ready to take advantage of that new fool.  ;)

"There's a sucker born every minute" is the version I'm familiar with.  Gotta make sure you are an informed consumer, or you will surely be duped in some way or another.  I am a frugal guy and information seeker by nature, and sharing knowledge through these online communities is an absolute haven! ;D

"There's a  sucker born every minute, and somebody born to take him."
P.T. Barnum - Barnum and Bailey Circus.

Old one - even older than me!  ::) Been around so long, because it is so universally true. And, seemingly never changes!  :(

Ray D  ;D

Equivalent to:

"A fool and his money are soon parted."

Attributed to Thomas Tusser, 1573. More here. A few visualizations here.

Back when Ebay first started, it was a great place to get a bargin but now beware, its a good place to get riped and bad!!!

Tom:
"A fool and his money are soon parted."

I'm crushed!  :'( I thought my Grandpa coined that one! I always beat him at poker, when I was a kid. Always wound up with a silver dollar. He never seemed to learn!!!  ;D ::)

Back on topic, notice the name of the chap with the 94 Sun Voyager on EBay. It suggests that he restores salvage vehicles for a living.  I think he took a second look at that one and changed his mind, choosing to recover his investment on EBay.

I'd think long and hard, before buying any salvaged vehicle.

Ray D  ;D

The buyer may also have trouble insuring it.  In some states a salvage vehicle is assigned a special VIN Which makes it unidentifiable to the company computers so you have to supply photos, and appraisals for consideration and then some carriers a reluctant to touch them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlie13
Back
Top Bottom