Your personal data online.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chet18013

Full time in RV. Home is where we are parked
How much of your personal data is online? I decided to check mine this morning and was surprised to find out that the RVForum has been a data source for one of the online data mining programs. I had posted some photographs and they were listed by date and subject, amomg other information.

If you want to check your online personal data, you can go HERE and type in your name. You might be surprised.

Chet18013

It's not private data Chet. Anything uploaded to our forum is there for anyone to see and is open to the search engines that are continually crawling here and on most web sites and forums. You can get the same link to the photos from Google. Do you also participate in a woodworking forum? If not, someone by the same name is using the same avatar.

Chet18013 said:
If you want to check your online personal data, you can go HERE and type in your name. You might be surprised.

Chet,

If you think that's interesting, just Google your name and see what comes up.  ;D

Phil

That's what I did Phil (Googled Chet's name)  ;D

I'm pretty anonymous, a search only turned up one reference to me and that was from a site that's related to my professional life.

As Sun Microsystems CEO Scott McNealy said, "You have no privacy.  Get over it".

Sometimes it helps to have a "famous" name; The other guys using the same name, even if fictitiously, get to occupy the high ranking slots in the search engines  ;D

Ned said:
I'm pretty anonymous, a search only turned up one reference to me and that was from a site that's related to my professional life.

Ned,

I found dozens of "hits" for you and your professional life.

Phil

I just had a phishing line thrown at me by someone mining data. I had posted lug nuts for sale on the Arizona Porsche Club classifieds. For some reason the post showed up on my Google identity. I received a message from this "person" saying he was interested and after one or two exchanges said he wanted to buy them (a whole $35 worth). He said he would send me a certified check and I should use the excess to pay the shipping company. He also gave me a phone number. I looked up the phone number and it was non-existent, but the area code was located in the Seattle area.

Phil,

I just use zoominfo for the search.  I know there are other search engines that turn up lots more info on me.

My name gets a lot of hits, but there are lot of different folks out there with the same name. 

Two of the 41 hits on Zoominfo were me, but they had no other info there. 

There's an actor, an astrophysicist, a minister, a chief financial officer, a vice-president, a service technician, a "Senior Vice President and Chief Lending Officer," a chef, a sheriff, and a "Pedestrian Advisory Committee Citizen Member," whatever the heck that is, and a whole bunch more.

And I've never met any of them

Tom said:
That's what I did Phil (Googled Chet's name)  ;D

Really?

I didn't know you had a Sea Ray until today.  ;D

Phil

That's not me Phil, it's one of the other guys who copied my name.

Tom said:
That's not me Phil, it's one of the other guys who copied my name.

Did they copy your picture and and attach it to the article on towing the boat behind the RV?  What about the article on deck shoes?  ;D

Hey Phil,

Quit giving out my personal information  ;D  BTW that photo of me must be one of the many rally photos you've uploaded here. Didn't know you'd uploaded a photo of my shoes though  ;D

Tom said:
Hey Phil,

Quit giving out my personal information  ;D  BTW that photo of me must be one of the many rally photos you've uploaded here. Didn't know you'd uploaded a photo of my shoes though  ;D

Tom,

If the information is in a published news paper, it's not personal.  :)  It was a challenge to track the name "Jones" that I could not resist.

The old picture I uploaded was of you at Quartzsite.  I don't think the boat club would like me to snip stuff out of their news letter to upload.

Phil

Phil said:
If the information is in a published news paper, it's not personal.

Phil, you must have missed the smileys ;D in my last message.

After spending 28 years in the insuranceance business , I am not suprised at the amount of info that is out there in data banks both public and private.  The internet has just made it so much more available to everyone.
Tony

The first time I visited the LDS library in Salt Lake City (early 80's) I recall looking stuff up on index cards, then pulling one of the million rolls of microfilm and scrolling through to find what I needed. Next time I visited was a couple of years ago. When I asked where the index cards were, the lady politely laughed and said "see those computer terminals". I looked across the room and it was a sea of screens.

Phil,

I enjoyed the video of the class of 57 on U-Tube. Looks like a fun reunion.

That's something I've been meaning to do - I've lost tough with most of my classmates. I accidentally stumbled on one recently when I saw an old photo of his father on a web site. I contacted the site owner who, coincidentally, had married my pal's sister. She and her husband were in hysterics when I recalled stories of our younger days, especially the one where my pal hit his sister over the head with a bottle of ketchup. (I think we were 10 years old at that time.) We lived in a quiet, civilized neighborhood  ;D

Seems to me that "Yahoo Search" provides a huge number of hits, even my own Oddball name. Even has an entry from our recent Alabama rally, listing my name and others from the forum.

FWIW  carson FL

Back
Top Bottom