Your personal data online.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Phil said:
Chet,

If you think that's interesting, just Google your name and see what comes up.  ;D

Phil

I'm clean except for one post from the woodworking forum. Everyone else listed isn't me.

When I was at Marine Corps Boot Camp, there was another Chester Parks in the same platoon as I was. Boy did that cause all kinds of fun.

Chet18013

Chet18013 said:
I'm clean except for one post from the woodworking forum.

Not quite Chet. 2 out of the first 6 links on a Google search show posts in 2 different topics on that forum. Must be that other guy using the same name and avatar. There you are in other forums on page 2. Must be a neighbor with the same name. That's not you talking about Lightroom B1 on a photographic forum? Or the mention of the 2004 Maritimes trip (when we couldn't quite synchronize our schedules)?

Looks like these guys can find us wherever we've been. I knew I should have changed my name to Mickey Mouse when I had the chance.

My personal motto is, "live clean, sleep well." I have nothing to hide and if somebody has nothing better to do than post or search for information on me they're welcome to it as I can't do anything about it anyway.

HOWEVER -- I do take great cautions with financial information and home security. As much as possible, anyway. If somebody wants your car or your social security number they're going to get it.

There's a number of things about me out there, including one about a patent my Grandfather and Father (all Karl Kolbus's) filed in 1949. Seems like there's a lot of data gathering going on by lots of people for who-knows-what purposes.

Used to have a mod here that showed all the spiders and other creepies crawling all over us. Must have got uninstalled during one of the upgrades. It used to be fascinating to see these bots gathering their info. Their visits are still recorded in the logs of course, but not as convenient to look at.

This popped up on one of the other boards but it bears repeating here, I think.

After every computer session I run a quick scan and clean operation with CCleaner. It's a free download and only takes seconds to use. Cleans up cookies, download and upload info, etc. very nicely.

And, just imagine what the Government finds when it goes a-lookin'.

Heck, "they" even put some of that stuff online. Not that long ago I watched a TV program explaining how various counties had put a lot people's personal data, including SS numbers, online. Interviewed, a lady at one of the counties explained that her office did it in the name of the 'freedom of information act', although she admitted it was a dumb thing to do. As I recall, the program centered around some private individual showing how she could retrieve anything and everything about virtually anyone from the PC in her kitchen.

Yes, it is amazing how much personal information has been spread onto the Internet by government, companies and individuals. As one small but egregious example, Arizona and many other states had always required personal data to be filed in court, such as in dissolution of marriage cases. The forms required full names, addresses, telephone numbers, dates and places of birth and social security numbers, among much else, such as full financial statements. Gasp. I have heard that Arizona and some others have stopped making that information public in the last few years. I hope so. I would not be surprised if debt collections, bankruptcies and other such proceedings still have that information in public files.

If the incompetents in DC were on the ball they would make a law prohibiting any person or organization/company from sharing personal data other than their own with out signed permission of the person involved or by court order.  Also people shouldn't have to opt out of junk mail etc but the requirement should be those wanting it would have to opt in.  Sure would help slow down the fraud in this country.

Good lord, Ron...there you go again making perfect, simple sense. Opt in, not out. Prohibit posting of personal information without permission. That kind of thinking is pretty radical.  :-[

For all of you that think you're safe, run yourself again in www.ZabaSearch.com ... scary.  Luckily no *current* information is in there for me (I've been very deliberate in removing my publicly available "white pages" information), but my last 3 address, a couple old phone numbers, and month/year of birth are in there.

Ned said:
As Sun Microsystems CEO Scott McNealy said, "You have no privacy.  Get over it".

This is likely more true than anything.  I don't mind if SOME people can find info on me, I just don't want EVERYTHING available to EVERYONE.  ;)

Back
Top Bottom