Can I walk on my roof???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hoorders

Hi everyone,

I really new to RV'ing and am dealing with my first trailer....its a 26 foot Salem Lite.........I was clearing some debris off the roof a couple of weeks ago and I contemplated actually walking on the roof to do this as it would have been much easier than from the ladder leaning on the trailer.........anyways I put one foot on the roof and it didn't feel solid......felt kinda soft.....not like a soft or damaged area on the roof....just spongy....and I thought if I stand and walk around on it, im surely going to go through it or damage it.........its a vinyl or maybe rubber roof......definately not fibre glass...........so whats under the vinyl/rubber on the roof?.........is it safe to walk on?

Thanks!

You ought to be able to walk on it - I don't know of any late models that prohibit it. But then, you didn't mention how heavy you are either! But up to 250 lb should be OK.

The roof is probably one of the  EPDM rubber coatings, perhaps Brytek or something like that.  It is laid down over a thin luan plywood or similar backing. It may be springy but you should not be in any danger of falling through or damaging it by walking. Do be careful up there, though. RV roofs are often very slippery, especially when wet or covered with  forest debris (leaves, twigs, nuts , berries, etc).

Do be careful up there, though. RV roofs are often very slippery...

Gary, that's something that should really be emphasized with all RVers. Seventeen years ago I fell off the roof of my house and shattered both heels and ankles. I spent a week in the hospital and three months in a wheelchair. To this day I have chronic pain, walk with a limp and will for the rest of my life simply because careful as I was I set foot on a slick spot. And here's the thing -- I fell from only about ten feet up. My MH is 12-feet high.

If you go up, be very careful and then be more careful! If you are at all squeamish about heights, have a professional go up there for you.

The only MH that I know of that the manufacturer says not to walk on the roof is the Bluebird M380.  When ever getting on the roof one must be careful.  The fall just scares a person its the sudden stop at the end of the fall that does the damage. ;D

I never WALK on my roof; I slither... or crawl.  ::)

Knee pads help a lot. Anything over 5 feet high I need an oxygen mask.  ;D

carson

RV Roamer said:
You ought to be able to walk on it - I don't know of any late models that prohibit it. But then, you didn't mention how heavy you are either! But up to 250 lb should be OK.

The roof is probably one of the  EPDM rubber coatings, perhaps Brytek or something like that.   It is laid down over a thin luan plywood or similar backing. It may be springy but you should not be in any danger of falling through or damaging it by walking. Do be careful up there, though. RV roofs are often very slippery, especially when wet or covered with  forest debris (leaves, twigs, nuts , berries, etc).

Thanks so much for getting back to me.........Im actually only 190lbs......so I guess im within the weight allowance...... ;D.................so what are the roofs constructed of......whats under the luan plywood?........my trailer is a model year 2000 Salem Lite by Forest River.

Thanks.

hoorders said:
Hi everyone,

I really new to RV'ing and am dealing with my first trailer....its a 26 foot Salem Lite.........I was clearing some debris off the roof a couple of weeks ago and I contemplated actually walking on the roof to do this as it would have been much easier than from the ladder leaning on the trailer.........anyways I put one foot on the roof and it didn't feel solid......felt kinda soft.....not like a soft or damaged area on the roof....just spongy....and I thought if I stand and walk around on it, im surely going to go through it or damage it.........its a vinyl or maybe rubber roof......definately not fibre glass...........so whats under the vinyl/rubber on the roof?.........is it safe to walk on?

Thanks!

On a trailer termed as "Lite" I would be very dubious of walking on it.    One clue would be, did the manfacturer provide an attached ladder?  The absense of a ladder might well be a clue that the roof structure is not adquate for walking.

Carl L said:
On a trailer termed as "Lite" I would be very dubious of walking on it.    One clue would be, did the manfacturer provide an attached ladder?  The absense of a ladder might well be a clue that the roof structure is not adquate for walking.
As a matter of fact, there is no ladder on the trailer................I may just air on the side of caution and not get on the roof.

Carl L said:
One clue would be, did the manufacturer provide an attached ladder?  The absence of a ladder might well be a clue that the roof structure is not adequate for walking.

When I go on top of mine, I use a regular extension ladder propped against the trailer.  It's a safer than the installed ladder, plus I'm not under 250#.  ::)

There typically isn't much under the lightweight plywood sheathing in a "lite" trailer - just some "rafters" that might better be termed firring strips. Typically something on the order of a 1x2. Don't jump up and down!  ;D

It common for the ladder to be optional on the entry level and/or "lite" trailers - saves cost and weight.

When I need to get on my roof I lay two 2x8 planks  long enough to hang over the sides. I let the walls support must of my weight.

Whenever I am on my roof, I am normally on all fours.  Makes it a bit clumsy, but I have a dreadful fear of falling or slipping off...............I do have a remedy for my particular situation though..........I am going to try this in the spring during cleanup day.................I will park under a tree  and tie off to a large branch with two ropes attached to a climbers harness.  The two ropes will give me more control in the event of a slip and will tend to stabilize me in mid air............I hope this works, if not and I DO fall, I will probably be in the hospital getting my face replaced.  But my legs, feet, ribs etc. should be okay............Wish me luck.

One thing you can do to "Test" is try and walk on the roof  VERY CAREFULLY, Start on all 4's or in short take the advice of that famous fictional law firm  Ben Dover & C. Howit Feels  (Never thought I'd use that in a 100% Clean context)

If it feels nice and firm, then stand up and walk, again, pay attention to how it feels

If it feels like you are walking on the kitchen floor.. IT is safe to walk on

If it feels like a trampoline Get off, quickly

In fact if it's bouncing under foot at all get off But if it's feels solid as a floor, odds are it is.

I'm over 300 pounds and get atop my rig with mop, bucket, garden hose, and spic & Span every time I clean it

And like the above poster, I'm not all the comoortable up there

I do plan on putting up some luggage rails come spring., Well, they will LOOK like luggage rails, and they will act as warning rails should I step too close to the edge, but they will be assorted antennas.  Unless I need to strap sometihng to the roof, then they will be luggage rails

I think once the snow clears and spring comes around I will have another go at getting on the roof...........I will definately heed everyones advice and go about it carefully to see if the roof is indeed walkable or at least crawlable.

Thanks..........

Jerry carries in the motorhome an old pair of Sperry Topsiders.  For non-boaters these are "tennis" shoes that have a special non-slip tread meant for wet boat decks.  He always wears his Sperrys when he goes on the roof.

ArdraF

Ardra,

I know that Jerry is sure careful, but be sure he checks those Sperry soles. If they're worn beyond a certain point, they can be downright dangerous on a wet surface.

Also, if the shoes are very old the rubber gets hard and they become very slick.  I found this from experience with an old pair I left outside on the deck, to slip into when going down to the boat. A wet ramp and old Topsiders makes for a fast ride down.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom