EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Can I walk on my roof???  (Read 32459 times)

hoorders

• ---
Can I walk on my roof???
« on: January 12, 2008, 08:12:39 PM »
Hi everyone,

I really new to RV'ing and am dealing with my first trailer....its a 26 foot Salem Lite.........I was clearing some debris off the roof a couple of weeks ago and I contemplated actually walking on the roof to do this as it would have been much easier than from the ladder leaning on the trailer.........anyways I put one foot on the roof and it didn't feel solid......felt kinda soft.....not like a soft or damaged area on the roof....just spongy....and I thought if I stand and walk around on it, im surely going to go through it or damage it.........its a vinyl or maybe rubber roof......definately not fibre glass...........so whats under the vinyl/rubber on the roof?.........is it safe to walk on?

Thanks!

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
Re: Can I walk on my roof???
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 09:03:48 AM »
You ought to be able to walk on it - I don't know of any late models that prohibit it. But then, you didn't mention how heavy you are either! But up to 250 lb should be OK.

The roof is probably one of the  EPDM rubber coatings, perhaps Brytek or something like that.   It is laid down over a thin luan plywood or similar backing. It may be springy but you should not be in any danger of falling through or damaging it by walking. Do be careful up there, though. RV roofs are often very slippery, especially when wet or covered with  forest debris (leaves, twigs, nuts , berries, etc).
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Cricketdaddy

• ---
    • Thataway Road
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 09:18:40 AM »
Do be careful up there, though. RV roofs are often very slippery...

Gary, that's something that should really be emphasized with all RVers. Seventeen years ago I fell off the roof of my house and shattered both heels and ankles. I spent a week in the hospital and three months in a wheelchair. To this day I have chronic pain, walk with a limp and will for the rest of my life simply because careful as I was I set foot on a slick spot. And here's the thing -- I fell from only about ten feet up. My MH is 12-feet high.

If you go up, be very careful and then be more careful! If you are at all squeamish about heights, have a professional go up there for you.
Dave in L.A.
1994 Lance 900

Road Runner

• ---
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 09:49:18 AM »
Yes i go on my roof but it's no fun (scared stiff up there ::))
John (UK member)
95 Sellers Wakeechee 34 ft with ford 460 engine
Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7
Kia Cerato 1.6 (Toad)
Kawasaki 1100 & 500 bikes

www.caravanning4u.co.uk

www.motorhomefun.co.uk

www.rvfulltiming.com

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 09:52:48 AM »
The only MH that I know of that the manufacturer says not to walk on the roof is the Bluebird M380.  When ever getting on the roof one must be careful.  The fall just scares a person its the sudden stop at the end of the fall that does the damage. ;D
Ron & Sam-home is where we park it. Currently located   HERE

carson

• ---
  • memories of yore
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2008, 10:38:29 AM »
I never WALK on my roof; I slither... or crawl.   ::)

Knee pads help a lot. Anything over 5 feet high I need an oxygen mask.  ;D

carson
Carson, 
 West Central Florida
Ex RV'er. (1995 Winnebago Adventurer)
2007 Buick Rendezvous, SUV / CROSSOVER

...Logic works like a charm...

hoorders

• ---
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2008, 11:22:51 AM »
You ought to be able to walk on it - I don't know of any late models that prohibit it. But then, you didn't mention how heavy you are either! But up to 250 lb should be OK.

The roof is probably one of the  EPDM rubber coatings, perhaps Brytek or something like that.   It is laid down over a thin luan plywood or similar backing. It may be springy but you should not be in any danger of falling through or damaging it by walking. Do be careful up there, though. RV roofs are often very slippery, especially when wet or covered with  forest debris (leaves, twigs, nuts , berries, etc).

Thanks so much for getting back to me.........Im actually only 190lbs......so I guess im within the weight allowance...... ;D.................so what are the roofs constructed of......whats under the luan plywood?........my trailer is a model year 2000 Salem Lite by Forest River.

Thanks.

Carl L

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2008, 01:52:00 PM »
Hi everyone,

I really new to RV'ing and am dealing with my first trailer....its a 26 foot Salem Lite.........I was clearing some debris off the roof a couple of weeks ago and I contemplated actually walking on the roof to do this as it would have been much easier than from the ladder leaning on the trailer.........anyways I put one foot on the roof and it didn't feel solid......felt kinda soft.....not like a soft or damaged area on the roof....just spongy....and I thought if I stand and walk around on it, im surely going to go through it or damage it.........its a vinyl or maybe rubber roof......definately not fibre glass...........so whats under the vinyl/rubber on the roof?.........is it safe to walk on?

Thanks!

On a trailer termed as "Lite" I would be very dubious of walking on it.    One clue would be, did the manfacturer provide an attached ladder?  The absense of a ladder might well be a clue that the roof structure is not adquate for walking.
Carl L/LA   [Forum Staff]  KI6SEZ

Prowler 23LV TT pulled by a '95 Ford Bronco

hoorders

• ---
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2008, 02:04:10 PM »
On a trailer termed as "Lite" I would be very dubious of walking on it.    One clue would be, did the manfacturer provide an attached ladder?  The absense of a ladder might well be a clue that the roof structure is not adquate for walking.
As a matter of fact, there is no ladder on the trailer................I may just air on the side of caution and not get on the roof.

Mike Goad

• ---
    • Haw Creek
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2008, 03:47:30 PM »
One clue would be, did the manufacturer provide an attached ladder?  The absence of a ladder might well be a clue that the roof structure is not adequate for walking.

When I go on top of mine, I use a regular extension ladder propped against the trailer.  It's a safer than the installed ladder, plus I'm not under 250#.  ::)
Mike Goad
web site: Haw Creek ;)
blog: Haw Creek Out 'n About
2008 Navion IQ 24Cl -- towing a 2004 Honda CRV

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2008, 04:24:44 PM »
There typically isn't much under the lightweight plywood sheathing in a "lite" trailer - just some "rafters" that might better be termed firring strips. Typically something on the order of a 1x2. Don't jump up and down!  ;D

It common for the ladder to be optional on the entry level and/or "lite" trailers - saves cost and weight.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

lewis.34

• ---
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2008, 10:29:30 PM »
When I need to get on my roof I lay two 2x8 planks  long enough to hang over the sides. I let the walls support must of my weight.
Wayne & Cindy Lewis
Jackson, Ohio
2004 Silverado 2500HD
2013 Lacrosse 329BHT

hoorders

• ---
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2008, 05:46:07 AM »
Thats a good idea................I might just do that.

Thanks.

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2008, 08:22:56 AM »
A 2x4 or 4x4 piece of plywood works well too - it spreads the load enough so no single point is stressed very much.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

swampfox

• ---
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2008, 10:31:35 AM »
Whenever I am on my roof, I am normally on all fours.  Makes it a bit clumsy, but I have a dreadful fear of falling or slipping off...............I do have a remedy for my particular situation though..........I am going to try this in the spring during cleanup day.................I will park under a tree  and tie off to a large branch with two ropes attached to a climbers harness.  The two ropes will give me more control in the event of a slip and will tend to stabilize me in mid air............I hope this works, if not and I DO fall, I will probably be in the hospital getting my face replaced.  But my legs, feet, ribs etc. should be okay............Wish me luck.

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2008, 11:49:15 AM »
One thing you can do to "Test" is try and walk on the roof  VERY CAREFULLY, Start on all 4's or in short take the advice of that famous fictional law firm   Ben Dover & C. Howit Feels  (Never thought I'd use that in a 100% Clean context)

If it feels nice and firm, then stand up and walk, again, pay attention to how it feels

If it feels like you are walking on the kitchen floor.. IT is safe to walk on

If it feels like a trampoline Get off, quickly

In fact if it's bouncing under foot at all get off But if it's feels solid as a floor, odds are it is.

I'm over 300 pounds and get atop my rig with mop, bucket, garden hose, and spic & Span every time I clean it

And like the above poster, I'm not all the comoortable up there

I do plan on putting up some luggage rails come spring., Well, they will LOOK like luggage rails, and they will act as warning rails should I step too close to the edge, but they will be assorted antennas.   Unless I need to strap sometihng to the roof, then they will be luggage rails
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

hoorders

• ---
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2008, 12:57:23 PM »
I think once the snow clears and spring comes around I will have another go at getting on the roof...........I will definately heed everyones advice and go about it carefully to see if the roof is indeed walkable or at least crawlable.

Thanks..........

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2008, 04:35:11 PM »
Jerry carries in the motorhome an old pair of Sperry Topsiders.  For non-boaters these are "tennis" shoes that have a special non-slip tread meant for wet boat decks.  He always wears his Sperrys when he goes on the roof.

ArdraF
ArdraF
:D :D

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2008, 05:38:53 PM »
Ardra,

I know that Jerry is sure careful, but be sure he checks those Sperry soles. If they're worn beyond a certain point, they can be downright dangerous on a wet surface.
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

caltex

• ---
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2008, 08:00:01 PM »
Also, if the shoes are very old the rubber gets hard and they become very slick.  I found this from experience with an old pair I left outside on the deck, to slip into when going down to the boat. A wet ramp and old Topsiders makes for a fast ride down.
Robert

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2008, 08:18:06 PM »
You and I have similar experiences with "old boat shoes" Robert. Of all the boat shoes I've owned, Sperry Topsiders were the worst for this problem. I have one pair of a different brand that comes a close second.

OTOH Jerry may not keep shoes around for 20 years like you and I.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 08:21:31 PM by Tom »
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

Smoky

• ---
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2008, 03:41:11 AM »
I used to have a Fleetwood trailer with a rubber roof and Fleetwood recommended, as Gary suggested, placing a plank on the roof to "spread" the load.  I used two planks, so I could walk on one and move the other one into a new position.
Smoky S  Ham radio - W3PY

The magic of a campfire
where the fish get bigger
the mountains get higher
the hike was uphill both ways
and new friends become old friends

2005 KSDP3910 Newmar Kountry Star
Toad - Taurus wagon w/ axle lock
On our way to the Poudre River in Colorado for the summer!

mayfair

• ---
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2008, 02:51:06 PM »
I was just wondering the same thing over the weekend.

I did my spring cleaning of my Prowler and it included washing the roof with some sort of rubber roof cleaner that my Pop gave me. I did it from the ladder off of the sides, but I noticed that some of the caulking arounf the vents is starting to look kinda bad, so I was thinking about getting that roof tape that Ron mentioned a while ago ( is that tape still reccomended?)

Anyway, I too was wondering if it was safe to walk up there. I'm not too worried about falling off. I'm more worried about falling THROUGH !!
1999 24' Prowler bunkhouse

towing with ...

1998.5 Dodge Ram 4X4 with a Cummins Turbo Diesel

kbhowe1

• ---
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2008, 05:06:56 PM »
mayfair, I was worried about mine as well, but I carefully got on mine and was supprised how sturdy it was, it was very sturdy and stable (make sure you use your stabilizer supports on the trailer, or the trailer rocks), I tried to keep my feet about 6" away from vents and stuff. But I was impressed. I am not light either I weigh about 280lbs. Also I do not have a ladder built onto my fifth wheel, but it is an option for my model.
Brian,
07 Dodge, 6.7L CTD,
08 Rockwood Fifth Wheel

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2008, 06:40:24 PM »
A lot depends on your roof.. On my Damon the roof feels every bit as solid as the floor.

I'm over 300 pound and the only problem I had was with the rather light weight ladder.

No way was it up to 300 pounds.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

Karl

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • No Brett; no sweat. A QB's not the whole team.
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2008, 10:20:03 PM »
Snowshoes. Yeah, that's the ticket - snowshoes! ;D
Karl (Cheesehead) Kolbus   Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy cow ...what a ride!"

edjunior

• ---
  • Roman Forest, TX
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2008, 07:27:37 AM »
Well, since I have an Ultralight (4350 Dry weight...used for reference only...no weight police stuff please!!), I will say that I walk on my roof.  You just can't get around comfortably otherwise to really clean it.  With the rubber coating and tennis shoes, it is not slippery, even when wet, but it is still a little freaky up there.  I tend to be getting more uncomfortable with heights as I get older, but I can still deal with it fine.  There are a couple of "soft spots" on my roof where I step, and then immediately "unstep" and then just work around.  I don't know if I would go through the roof or not, but no sense in taking a chance.  But for the most part, I feel comfortable (as roof strenght goes) in walking around my roof.  I don't have a factory installed ladder either, so getting up there and back down, you have to be extremely careful...that's where one would tend to have the greatest chance of falling.  My wife is always there to brace the ladder for me.
Ed.....KF5INW
2011 F-250 XLT, 6.7L PSD
2010 Forest River Wildcat 28RKBS
"I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!"

mayfair

• ---
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2008, 01:26:48 PM »
I just wanted to check with you guy's to be sure before I hop on up

Is that tape that Ron reccomended still the best thing to use? I think it's called Eternabond or something.

towing with ...

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2008, 02:04:05 PM »
I just wanted to check with you guy's to be sure before I hop on up

Is that tape that Ron reccomended still the best thing to use? I think it's called Eternabond or something.

It sure is.  Probably the most reasonable place to get it is HERE.

mayfair

• ---
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2008, 04:42:44 PM »
Thanks for the reply and teh website link Ron. I'll be ordering from them tomorrow.

Is the stuff difficult to work with? It looks easy. Should I also order that roller thingy, and if so, which one, the wooden one or the rubber one?

Thanks !!

towing with ...

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2008, 06:16:52 PM »
Thanks for the reply and teh website link Ron. I'll be ordering from them tomorrow.

Is the stuff difficult to work with? It looks easy. Should I also order that roller thingy, and if so, which one, the wooden one or the rubber one?

Thanks !!

The only thing is becareful when positioning it before actually letting it come in contact with the surface. Once stuck it is pretty much there to stay. Some have removed it but with great difficulty.  As far as a roller goes I used something I had around here.  But it might be a good idea.  Maybe somebody else has used a rooler and will jump in.

GARYJ

• ---
  • 2007 Mallard 18ck
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2017, 10:22:10 PM »
Mine is a 2007 flleetwood mallard 18ck
I weigh 180 lbs, last weekend I tried to walk on it's roof and heard a cracking sound (plywood) didn't want to investigate much further. Don't think it was made for walking on it
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 11:02:42 PM by GARYJ »

Hosted by Over The Network