Can I walk on my roof???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You and I have similar experiences with "old boat shoes" Robert. Of all the boat shoes I've owned, Sperry Topsiders were the worst for this problem. I have one pair of a different brand that comes a close second.

OTOH Jerry may not keep shoes around for 20 years like you and I.

I used to have a Fleetwood trailer with a rubber roof and Fleetwood recommended, as Gary suggested, placing a plank on the roof to "spread" the load.  I used two planks, so I could walk on one and move the other one into a new position.

I was just wondering the same thing over the weekend.

I did my spring cleaning of my Prowler and it included washing the roof with some sort of rubber roof cleaner that my Pop gave me. I did it from the ladder off of the sides, but I noticed that some of the caulking arounf the vents is starting to look kinda bad, so I was thinking about getting that roof tape that Ron mentioned a while ago ( is that tape still reccomended?)

Anyway, I too was wondering if it was safe to walk up there. I'm not too worried about falling off. I'm more worried about falling THROUGH !!

mayfair, I was worried about mine as well, but I carefully got on mine and was supprised how sturdy it was, it was very sturdy and stable (make sure you use your stabilizer supports on the trailer, or the trailer rocks), I tried to keep my feet about 6" away from vents and stuff. But I was impressed. I am not light either I weigh about 280lbs. Also I do not have a ladder built onto my fifth wheel, but it is an option for my model.

A lot depends on your roof.. On my Damon the roof feels every bit as solid as the floor.

I'm over 300 pound and the only problem I had was with the rather light weight ladder.

No way was it up to 300 pounds.

Well, since I have an Ultralight (4350 Dry weight...used for reference only...no weight police stuff please!!), I will say that I walk on my roof.  You just can't get around comfortably otherwise to really clean it.  With the rubber coating and tennis shoes, it is not slippery, even when wet, but it is still a little freaky up there.  I tend to be getting more uncomfortable with heights as I get older, but I can still deal with it fine.  There are a couple of "soft spots" on my roof where I step, and then immediately "unstep" and then just work around.  I don't know if I would go through the roof or not, but no sense in taking a chance.  But for the most part, I feel comfortable (as roof strenght goes) in walking around my roof.  I don't have a factory installed ladder either, so getting up there and back down, you have to be extremely careful...that's where one would tend to have the greatest chance of falling.  My wife is always there to brace the ladder for me.

I just wanted to check with you guy's to be sure before I hop on up

Is that tape that Ron reccomended still the best thing to use? I think it's called Eternabond or something.

mayfair said:
I just wanted to check with you guy's to be sure before I hop on up

Is that tape that Ron reccomended still the best thing to use? I think it's called Eternabond or something.

It sure is.  Probably the most reasonable place to get it is HERE.

Thanks for the reply and teh website link Ron. I'll be ordering from them tomorrow.

Is the stuff difficult to work with? It looks easy. Should I also order that roller thingy, and if so, which one, the wooden one or the rubber one?

Thanks !!

mayfair said:
Thanks for the reply and teh website link Ron. I'll be ordering from them tomorrow.

Is the stuff difficult to work with? It looks easy. Should I also order that roller thingy, and if so, which one, the wooden one or the rubber one?

Thanks !!

The only thing is becareful when positioning it before actually letting it come in contact with the surface. Once stuck it is pretty much there to stay. Some have removed it but with great difficulty.  As far as a roller goes I used something I had around here.  But it might be a good idea.  Maybe somebody else has used a rooler and will jump in.

Mine is a 2007 flleetwood mallard 18ck
I weigh 180 lbs, last weekend I tried to walk on it's roof and heard a cracking sound (plywood) didn't want to investigate much further. Don't think it was made for walking on it

GARYJ said:
Never got an answer on this issue

You never asked a question I don't think. If you have a question, try starting another post. This will keep everyone from having to read this entire post.  ;) :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opal6502
Back
Top Bottom