Trip back from Alaska

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NTXFLTMR

I need a little bit of help.  On the return trip back to Washington from Kenai, Alaska what would be the best route.  I think I will probably be tired and in a little bit of a hurry but nothing crucial.  Do I want to take Hwy. 1 to the cassiar hwy. and south to 16 to Prince George or stay on 1 to Watson lake then south to Dawson Creek and then take 97.  Also in consideration will be availability of campgrounds and gas stations and safety of course.

Also would one of these routes win out over the other because of things to do and see?  Last but not least, how far is it back to the USA.  Due to my destination, I need to enter the lower 48 at Osoyoos on 97.

"I think I will probably be tired and in a little bit of a hurry but nothing crucial.  Do I want to take Hwy. 1 to the cassiar hwy. and south to 16 to Prince George"

3 yrs ago, I went N on Alcan via Dawson Creek and returned via the cassiar which was almost all paved. Scenery not as grand, fewer things to see, less population.

Main thing is to take side trip to Hyder for bear viewing! And get your rig washed in Stewart.

We took the Cassiar route up and back and loved it, but have never taken the Dawson Creek route to compare.

The sister towns of Stuart(BC) & Hyder(AK) are a great stop on the Cassiar, though.  Hyder is one of the best places anywhere to see the bears catching salmon in the stream, most anytime from late July thru mid Septemeber.  There is a raised viewing stand that is really up close!  And the ride up to Salmon Glacier above Hyder is magnificent, as are the numerous eagles congregating at the mouth of the river.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
traxster
Back
Top Bottom