Paid to drive rvs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beerman

I was reading on the net about companys who pay you to drive new rvs to different locations. Of course it's $49.95 to learn more. Has anyone ever done this or know anyone who has?
I could use the extra cash if this is true.
Thanks
Brian

Keep the $50 in your pocket and call some RV dealers; They use drivers to deliver RVs, e.g. to RV shows and (here in California) for customers taking out of state delivery.

I am going to 2nd Tom's suggestion

There are many companies out there that offer to tell you more for usually 49.95, and you pay your money and they basically tell you "Go to your RV dealer and fill out an application" or some such.

Or "Download this software"

Or something equally obvious

Most of those 50 dollar offers are ripoffs.  I've researched a few programs guaranteed to get you lots of money (Very few ever deliver on said guarantee, very few)

Beerman said:
I was reading on the net about companys who pay you to drive new rvs to different locations. Of course it's $49.95 to learn more. Has anyone ever done this or know anyone who has?
I could use the extra cash if this is true.
Thanks
Brian

Now just who do you think is making the big bucks?  The folks that pay their $50 to learn more or the folks charging the $50 bucks to suck others in.  Check out Toms advice and save you $50.

I have a friend who has delivered as a full time job and as a fill in.  He just delivered a Vectra from NJ to Jacksonville, FL.  The deal on this one, unlike his full time job, was  he bought the fuel out of his allowance.  He ended up clearing $30 for the trip :mad:

The manufacturers use national services to deliver their RVs from the factory to the dealers.  These services are always looking for qualified drivers.  However, it is not as "sexy" a job as you might think.  Since the coaches and 5th wheels are brand new, you are not allowed to sleep in them unless you use a sleeping bag on the floor.  You cannot cook in them or use the bathroom facilities.  And as Jim pointed out, you have to pay a lot of expense out of your allowance.  Most of the people I know who do it are not making a living doing it.  They do it for the travel opportunity and because they like driving a big rig.  It gets old fast, which is why they are always looking for new drivers.

Newmar uses a national company and it is really something on a Friday morning.  The coaches line up and all head out of Newmar at the same time.  A magnificent sight to see them departing the factory.  You find yourself wondering, as each one passes by, what stories they will accumulate over the next few years.  These magic carpets become a real source of adventure and life experience.  Of course, within a few miles out of Naponee, the big caravan splits to the 4 winds and breaks down into individual coaches criss crossing the nation.

Smoky said:
The coaches line up and all head out of Newmar at the same time.  A magnificent sight to see them departing the factory.  You find yourself wondering, as each one passes by, what stories they will accumulate over the next few years.  These magic carpets become a real source of adventure and life experience.  Of course, within a few miles out of Naponee, the big caravan splits to the 4 winds and breaks down into individual coaches criss crossing the nation.

What a great illustration... so true, as I see RV's on the freeways almost every day (even here in the dead of winter) and I'm always wondering what travel adventures are in store for them.

Any "King of Queen" sitcom fans out there? "You find yourself wondering, as each one passes by, what stories they will accumulate over the next few years."  Sounds like a line from the episode when Kevin James' character "Doug" tries to convince his wife that they should rent an RV and drive out West for their vacation.  Classic.  :)

LOL Scotty!

I would not classify my self as a King of Queens regular, but I have seen 5 or 10 episodes. 

When you catch the RV bug, it is usually a lifetime disease.  I was able to retire from boating, but I suspect I will never be able to retire from RVing.  I loved boating, but I can't quite put my finger on the difference. 

Part of it might be that I turned boating from a hobby into a business.  But there is still something else I can't quite put my finger on. 

Another part of it might be that boating isolates you from the mainstream of life.  Isolation a la an anchorage in a quiet cove watching the sun set has its positives as does the glamour of riding the inland waterways visiting the glitter of the marine world ... but Rving keeps you in close touch with America mainstream... yet still with the isolation advantages a la boondocking.

Who knows?  I'll save that weighty ponder for a QZ campfire and a glass of single malt.    :D

Smoky said:
I would not classify my self as a King of Queens regular, but I have seen 5 or 10 episodes.

Well I have the first 4 (maybe 5?) seasons on DVD, so let me know if you want to do some catching up.  ;)  The RV episode is absolutely hilarious, perfect comedic timing and delivery on all the standard camping stereotypes.  Maybe I'll have to upload a few clips per the video hosting space we've been discussing in another thread.

I indeed feel I've been bitten by the lifetime RV bug.  We're planning trips out 2-3 years in advance already, and we've only been RV owners for 6-7 months!  Although my love for motorhomes goes back to childhood times spent with my grandparents, so the bug has always been there - just took awhile for me to realize the dream of ownership.

Too bad that "paid to drive RV's" thing doesn't sound all that lucrative.  Talk about the perfect side job!

Scotty,

IIRC I paid the driver something like $300 to deliver our coach from San Jose, CA to Boomtown, NV. He flew home, but I don't know what the air fare was (I didn't pay it in addition to the $300). The dealer filled the tank and I topped it off. Can't imagine anyone expecting the driver to pay for fuel. The driver was an RVer himself and owns a nice Country Coach.

I did that for two winters for a dealer in Bismarck, ND.  One to two trips a week to Elkhart, IN and surrounding towns for pickup up motorhomes, fivers, tt's.  I mostly got to driver the new Newmar diesel pushers.  Did it pay good? No but I chock up to a fun time in my life.

my parents did it the first 2 years they were retired they got mileage but had to pay for their fuel. it just ended up as a free trip.
I have also seen the $50 ads there is even a "school" more internet searching led to places taking applications. they say  if you have a truck to deliver trailers and get about 15mpg you can make money.
If they ask for money upfront it's a fraud the people who need drivers will talk to you for free.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom