Can I Do It Myself

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Carl L said:
The only reason for doing that is a dislike of, or inability of doing dishes.  You won't save all that much in weight -- especially if you stock up on then for single use.

True, and you caught me, I hate doing dishes. 

Elizabeth said:
True, and you caught me, I hate doing dishes. 

Fair enough.  RVing it you will come to a decision as to whether you prefer washing dishes as opposed to schlepping extra sacks of dirty trash to the campground dumpster, which is usually located at a location maximally distant from any campsite one would occupy.  (Unless it is 5 feet away that is.)  8)

Carl L said:
Fair enough.  RVing it you will come to a decision as to whether you prefer washing dishes as opposed to schlepping extra sacks of dirty trash to the campground dumpster, which is usually located at a location maximally distant from any campsite one would occupy.  (Unless it is 5 feet away that is.)  8)

Good point.  I think I will bring dishes when I am by myself, and bring paper when the other half comes with me.

The one thing that I find annoying when setting up by myself is leveling side to side.  Almost every site I have been on I have had to put a 2x6 under one side.  It is a pain to tell if I am on it right.  I back up, get out and check and then try again.  There are many times someone will come over and help out.  Campers are such wonderful people. ;D

Elizabeth, when we had our tent trailer we bought a couple of four drawer plastic rollaround cabinets and kept the paper plates, cups, towles so on in them.  They would easily lay down on the floor when we were moving down the road and set up on the cabinet when in camp.  Also could easily be take out into the camp to have the dishes at hand next to the picknic table.  We also bought a small microwave too and it worked great.  Just a few suggestions.
Good luck to ya.

rjf7g said:
I found a 2 ton floor jack to be helpful in dealing with this issue!

I would not recommend that with a trailer not built for jacking on its frame -- and most smaller ones are not so built.  Frame warping could result.  Level a trailer using blocks under the wheels on one side or the other.  I like the plastic Leggo like blocks sold in bags of 10.  I have two such sets.

We have gotten so that we keep minimal clothing in our van.  That gets you 80% of the way there for a fast weekend get away.  We keep kitchen, eating utensils and bedding in the van.  Take a good large door mat to help keep the dirt out.  Think some rain gear and bathing suits for the PUP stash.  You will have weight limits in a PUP.  That should NOT be a big problem though......IF you keep in mind why you have the PUP.  Objective is to get away from home and the work and the STUFF and relax outdoors.  Take enough to be comfortable but NOT enough that it becomes work.  Always take cold beer, last thing and first thing out.

We have been shopping for the last couple of months.  We have been keeping our eyes open for things going on sale.  I think we are going to  be alright but we have planned our first trip already and it's only a 1/2 away from home just in case we realize we forgot/need something.

Then I am going to Port Franks on the May long weekend.  I will be going with my mom and sister.... I am hoping they are ready to help out with setting up since this will only be the second trip out with the trailer and the first time I will be driving while towing.  I am a little more nervous about the towing part then the setting up part.

Eh, you'll be fine Elizabeth.  Once you get that first one behind you, you'll feel better about it and yourself.  Just be careful, remember all the things we've all talked about, and most important, have fun.  Did I mention...HAVE FUN!  Good luck and let us know how it goes!

utmtman said:
Elizabeth, when we had our tent trailer we bought a couple of four drawer plastic rollaround cabinets and kept the paper plates, cups, towles so on in them.  They would easily lay down on the floor when we were moving down the road and set up on the cabinet when in camp.  Also could easily be take out into the camp to have the dishes at hand next to the picknic table.   We also bought a small microwave too and it worked great.  Just a few suggestions.
Good luck to ya.

This is an exellent suggestion.....you are going to find you dont have a lot of permanent storage in your pop up....so getting some totes that will fit on the floor between your cupboards will help alot.  They be easily moved about during set up and take down so as to not be in the way.  If you can find some that fit in your door opening so they can be the first thing out and the last thing in might also be handy.

While on the arc with Noah.....I used a pop up so what I am going to say now may no longer be applicable because things change over time....one of hardest things I had to do in my pop up was set the door.  If you are not level, the door just doest want to open and close correctly.  You will need a set of those plastic levelers or some 2x4's to place usually the right tires to help get you level.  Dont forget a set of chocks so you dont roll when you least expect it.

There are many other wonderfull suggestions here.......hope you have fun !

First time out don't forget to make a checklist for leaving your campsite. like leveling jacks, don't want to leave those down when pulling out.

We have some useful checklists in our library. Just click the Library button above.

We just got back from our first camping trip.  It rained all day yesterday but it was good because if the trailer was going to leak it would have leaked yesterday.

We have figured out that we have alot more storage then we first started and once all set up it turned out to be alot bigger then we thought.  The furnace worked great and we can't wait until next weekend when we go again.

(But I should say that we were camped beside my father and his girlfriend who are winter Texans on there way up to Manitoulin Island, so we didn't really pack all the stuff we needed because they have EVERYTHING that we could ever need and more).

All right!!!  Congratulations.  Good to hear you stayed dry!  And now you know a little more about what you can bring.  Sounds like a successful maiden voyage!

That is a smart move.  Your "shake down" cruise should be near home to allow for any oversight in equipping the unit.  This will give you the opportunity to try everything out and minimize any risk.  (Some folks even camp out in their driveway, or back yard the first time.)

Good luck, enjoy your trip!

Back
Top Bottom