Electric Blankets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I thought somewhere on the instructions for my electric blanket it said not to lay things on it?

Wendy

Electric blankets are not designed to take loads, like laying on them.  Get mattress heating pads instead, they're designed to be used under you and not on top.

In another time and place I'm reading about a motor home fire, it caught and burned and damaged the rigs on either side as well,  Three rigs, one totaled, two damaged.

The cause: An electric blanket

Another problem with the current electric blankets is that they either do not work or do not work well on AC from the modified sine wave inverters.  This is a potential problem in that the controller may short and over heat, just burn out quickly or just shut down.  It is the first 2 that I worry about.

If you get a mattress pad heater be sure it is safe to use with the inverter.

Wendy,
I thought somewhere on the instructions for my electric blanket it said not to lay things on it?
There is, but how many people RTFM?

Jim,
Another problem with the current electric blankets is that they either do not work or do not work well on AC from the modified sine wave inverters.  This is a potential problem in that the controller may short and over heat, just burn out quickly or just shut down.  It is the first 2 that I worry about.
Quite correct. I bought a small (600 Watt) Pure sine wave inverter expressly for the mattress pad heater, but do use it for other things as well. Stay nice and toasty without becoming toast. :)

The instructions for every electric blanket I've ever seen specify NOT to lay on them.  Agree with Ron.  Your best bet is an electric mattress pad.  Some use both DC and AC.  When boondocking we usually run the generator in the evening to make sure the batteries are "up" and, while it's on, turn the mattress pad on too.  That's generally enough to take the chill off the bed.  Speaking from experience I can say that electric blankets do not run well on RV power.  I've gone through two of them and now use just the mattress pad.

ArdraF

I prefer flannel sheets, lots of blankets, a heavy comforter, and cuddling. Who needs an electric blanket?

Wendy
home in Cortez where it is COLD but the snow is all gone

wendycoke said:
I prefer flannel sheets, lots of blankets, a heavy comforter, and cuddling. Who needs an electric blanket?

Wendy
home in Cortez where it is COLD but the snow is all gone

Precisely.  Insulation is the clue, not heating. It can keep you toasty warm at night without draining batteries or setting rigs on fire  Closed cell foam pads underneath and sleeping bags or sheets and blankets above.  Even the old fashioned nightcap, the clothing not the drink -- since 30% of your blood supply is in your head wearing a stocking hat to bed makes a lot of sense. 

Carl L said:
 Even the old fashioned nightcap, the clothing not the drink -- since 30% of your blood supply is in your head wearing a stocking hat to bed makes a lot of sense.   

Especially for those who are folically impaired and don't have a lovely head of hair to offer insulation.

Wendy
Cortez - where it's been snowing off and on all day - I guess we cam north too soon, too.

Karl said:
Carl,
Now there's a picture that boggles the imagination: "Mama in her kerchief, and me in my cap..."  ;D

Boggle away me lad.  I have spent many a night on California mountainsides on X feet of snow on a 3/4" closed-celll foam pad, in a down bag wearing a stocking cap pulled down over my ears.  Did not freeze to death once.

Did not freeze to death once.
Now that IS welcome news!  :D The down-filled 'mummy' bags we had did a great job, and had an inside drawstring that you could cinch up so only your breathing holes were exposed. I never spent "A Night on Bald Mountain" like you, but Yakima, WA gets pretty cold in the middle of winter too.

I never spent "A Night on Bald Mountain" like you

Actually I have done exactly that.  Mt San Antonio, a 10,000 foot peak in the Los Angeles area is nicknamed "Old Baldy".  One night, a climbing partner and I decided to bivouac overnight on the summit.  There are a couple of low rock pens 2-3 foot high on the summit built by someone with same bright idea.  We climbed to the summit and set up camp in one of the pens by throwing down some foam pads and our down sleeping bags.

A strong NE, Santa Ana wind was blowing that night.  Cold air pushes over the mountain range and slides down the slopes picking up heat by compression and friction to the point that as the wind sweeps across the basins below it is a hot, very dry wind.  However, at the summit of the mountains the wind is still strong but bloody cold.  That night the winds at the summit was about 30-35mph and the temp was in the 30s.  In our bags, behind the shelter of the rock walls we were comfortable. 

The strong dry winds cleared all the marine-layer fog and scuzz out of Southern California and gave us unlimited visibilty.    At 10,000 feet your visible horizon is 122 miles.  We could see the lights of Los Angeles spread out from San Bernardino to Santa Monica and from the San Fernando Valley to San Clemente in the south.  We could even see the loom of the lights of San Diego in the far south.  Stunning.    We spend an hour or so like a pair of prairie dogs, popping up out of our holes, drinking in the scenery and popping back down again in a minute or so to keep from freezing in the wind blast.

Nothing to do with RVing, just a nice memory.  :)

Elizabeth who started this thread,

I recently saw an article about an RV that burned to the ground and the cause was an electric blanket.  Can't locate the article again but it might have been in either one of the motorhome magazines or the newspaper.  The article included a photo and all that was left was the metal chassis.  I think we need to pay more attention to electric blankets as an RV safety issue.  So, Elizabeth, I suggest you stay away from electric blankets in your RV.  Go with the more reliable and safer mattress pads that are designed for lying upon.

ArdraF

So we are picking up the trailer on Friday and our first camping trip is planned for the following weekend.

We are only going 1/2 hour away so if it gets to cold we are not to far away to come home.

We have purchased some nice comforters, we are also taking the sleeping bags and the duvets.  I think we should be alright.  And as I mentioned we have the three dogs.  They should help to keep us warm.

As long as it doesn't snow or rain we should be alright.

Be sure to take a tablet of paper and pen/pencil to make a list of 'reality' stuff needed, and what you find you don't need but have taking up space. 

As to towing - not too big of a deal - the PUP will track with your tow vehicle, but slightly wider turns may be necessary, longer stopping distances.

Backing into your sight may seem like a trial to you (why i recommended practicing at empty school parking lot/bus lanes).  Place your hands on the lower part of the steering wheel, and the direction you want the PUP to go is the way you turn the steering wheel.  Only turn it 'slightly' or you will cut it too much.  Go slowly and stop frequently to check progress - or have one of your camp mates be your spotter. 

Remember to have checked for low branches on the campsite before backing into it.

Have a wonderful trip!!

Back
Top Bottom