Trip to Niagara Falls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Torchbearer

My family and I are going to Niagara Falls when school is out.  We are mostly interested in the Canadian side.  Will we need passports to do this?

Torchbearer said:
My family and I are going to Niagara Falls when school is out.  We are mostly interested in the Canadian side.  Will we need passports to do this?

Depends on how you're crossing the border. If you're flying into Canada, I think you will need a passport. If you are driving or walking across then I don't think you'll need a passport until a later date.

You can get information at this U.S. State Department web site.    Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative

It is not a bad idea to apply for passports.  Sooner or later they will become more mandatory.  Adults have a 10 year life span, kids need to renew in 5 years I believe.

It is important to note that the new rules are on the American side.  We will continue to accept ID's as previous, usually a drivers licence for all passengers (don't know what is used for kids).  But US Rules are in a state of flux.  So, make sure before you cross, that you have the right ID to get back.  I think the way it goes is Passport if by air or sea, and picture ID if by land, with Passports or special ID cards after January 2009.

We live near the falls and often go into Canada.  Having a passport makes for a smoother trip through customs.  I think the rules state that you don't need a passport yet, but it helps.

We have carried passports for several years now and like mentioned it sure makes things easier when crossing the boarder even though they are no yet required.

If you Google passport rules 2008 you'll find there's a lot of confusion, however the new passport requirement for reentering the U.S. MAY take effect before the end of January.  Like Ron, we've carried passports for crossing borders for a number of years and it makes the crossover MUCH easier because the Customs folk realize you're aware of requirements.  I would get them now because you'll need them sooner or later.  Moreover, there was a huge backlog and getting one was taking months not weeks, so again, the sooner you start, the sooner you'll have them in hand and ready to use.

ArdraF

Our son has a business trip to Chine coming up in Feb.  He applied to renw his passport in Nov and got it in less than thirty days.  But I do know a couple folks that it took 2 months.

ArdraF said:
If you Google passport rules 2008 you'll find there's a lot of confusion, however the new passport requirement for reentering the U.S. MAY take effect before the end of January.  Like Ron, we've carried passports for crossing borders for a number of years and it makes the crossover MUCH easier because the Customs folk realize you're aware of requirements.  I would get them now because you'll need them sooner or later.  Moreover, there was a huge backlog and getting one was taking months not weeks, so again, the sooner you start, the sooner you'll have them in hand and ready to use.

I was talking with the "Passport Guy", the Post Office employee running the passport office in the Goodyear PO. He thinks current, non-expedited,  passports are issued within 3-4 weeks. He also indicated that the cost of the passport will go down by $25 shortly. No indication of how long "shortly" is.

If you are crossing the Border in the MH and have pets, don't forget to carry the papers for them.  The last time we crossed, thay asked "Do you have papers for that dog?"  I said Oh Yes.  What I didn't say was we forgot to bring them.  They waved us through.  We go back through Niagara Falls quite often.  We usually go through Canada at Port Huron and continue through Canada to Western New York.

I was told a couple of weeks ago that if you don't have a passport you will need BOTH a photo ID (driver license) AND your birth certificate, to get back into the U.S.  from Mexico.  This is to be a temporary measure until the passport requirement kicks in.

Apparently in Canada just a driver license will work.  Is the Mexico border more strict now or was I misinformed?  We are going to Algodones next week.

Good choice for travel location!  We just went there this past June, after traveling from IL to buy our motorhome in Grand Island, NY (adjacent to Niagara Falls, NY).  Is there any reason you want to actually DRIVE over to the Canadian side?  We stayed in a CG on the New York side, after checking out we parked the MH in a Target parking lot and drove the car to the U.S. Niagara Falls tourist parking ($10 for the day).  Then we walked across the U.S. / Canada bridge with a spectacular view of the falls (see attached image... my wife posing by the bridge "border sign").  Cars, buses, and yes an RV were backed up 10-12 vehicles deep at the Customs checkpoints.  We walked right by them all, free of charge.  Spent the late morning and early afternoon on the Canada side seeing the sights, then crossed back over to U.S. (again walking right by all the vehicles just sitting in line) for the Cave of the Winds tour (series of stairs and decks that lead you RIGHT to the bottom of the Bridal Veil Falls.. you can see a little of the decks/railings in the bottom right of my 2nd photo).  An absolute MUST.  Totally amazing to see creation that close and personal and feel the water rushing over you!

Anyway, unless you're planning on driving deeper within Canada I'd recommend parking on the U.S. side and walking over.

Attachments

• DSC02112.JPG
    DSC02112.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 45
  • DSC02117.JPG
    DSC02117.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 42
  • DSC02119.JPG
    DSC02119.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 41
Neat photos, Scotty.  Great idea about walking across the bridge.  Don't think we've ever done that and it has a wonderful view too.

ArdraF

ArdraF said:
Neat photos, Scotty.  Great idea about walking across the bridge.  Don't think we've ever done that and it has a wonderful view too.

Ardra

On our honeymoon, many many moons ago, we did it in the opposite direction. We were staying on the Canadian side (arrived, eventually, from Windsor going on to Quebec City) and walked over to see the American side. When we walked back to the Canadian side, dressed in shorts carrying only a camera, we were asked how long we intended on staying in Canada. It took a bit of explaining after we said 3-4 weeks.

Bernie, LOL.  I love it!  Imagine what they'd do today....no, better not.  Just enjoy the funny memory.

ArdraF

Back
Top Bottom