Cool New EVDO Routers Coming Soon -- seeking input

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AlexSian

I recently received two pre-production routers for review purposes.

The Cradlepoint MBR1000 will probably be out first, and will be the first EVDO router with a true ExpressCard slot (and also two USB ports), as well as the first EVDO Router to have WiFi/N instead of just WiFi/G.

The Kyocera KR2 will come out soon after, and in addition to ExpressCard slot, USB ports and WiFi N that MBR1000 has, the KR2 will still have a PCMCIA slot to support many of the existing EVDO cards still in use today.

These routers are likely to start selling/shipping sometime in February and no retail pricing has been finalized.

I'm sure some folks on the forum have some specific questions they'd like answered in the review, so I'm asking y'all to please post those questions to this forum or email them to me.

Obviously, I can't promise I'll be able to answer all questions in the review, but I certainly will do my best!

Both sound great!  I'm looking to buy a router soon for my USB 720.  I need to be able to use two laptops on the road.  Is there a discussion thread I can go to for reviews?

articfire said:
Both sound great!  I'm looking to buy a router soon for my USB 720.  I need to be able to use two laptops on the road.  Is there a discussion thread I can go to for reviews?
reviews aren't done yet. i'm still collecting good feedback from many forums, and writing them.
the reviews are likely to be completed/published near end of january.

Does AT&T Use EVDIO or do they use EDGE?

In any case Lynksys already has routers that handle one or the other cards, I'm sure as more companies come on line the prices will get more attractive.

Since I use Hughesnet as my mobile ISP I don't use these, however as coverage improves, I may (I stress MAY) switch some day

John In Detroit said:
Does AT&T Use EVDIO or do they use EDGE?
ATT uses EDGE in most areas, and their higher speed HSDPA in a few areas.
HSDPA is only available in about 1/4th as many places as Sprint/Verizon EVDO is, and HSDPA expansion is moving at a snail's pace compared to EVDO.

EDGE is very widespread, just like the slower 1xRTT/NationalAccess that EVDO users fall back to, when high speed EVDO is not available.

Alex,

Does anyone make an Edge equivalent to the EVDO router? I have a T-mobile card on a plan that's grandfathered at a sweet deal. Also, do you know when T-mobile is supposed to roll out their faster service? Can't recall what it's called.

TIA.

Linksys has both EDGE and EVDIO routers Tom,  Just go to the company web site and find the MOBILE routers, I think the Edge units have catalog numbers ending in "A" or "AT" for some strange reason.. but go there, don't quote me

Tom said:
Alex, Does anyone make an Edge equivalent to the EVDO router?...
Also, do you know when T-mobile is supposed to roll out their faster service?
TopGlobal routers we currently sell have some EDGE/GPRS card compatibility. What card do you have?

At this point, its anyone's guess when or even which 'faster service' is being rolled out by any carrier.
Even when a carrier SAYS their plans are X, i wouldn't believe it until a product is actually available.

PS: current plans are for us to STOP selling TG routers, because of poor support.
google 'router report card' for more info.

John In Detroit said:
Linksys has both EDGE and EVDIO routers Tom,  Just go to the company web site and find the MOBILE routers, I think the Edge units have catalog numbers ending in "A" or "AT" for some strange reason.. but go there, don't quote me
Linksys -AT router that we sell, only works with AT&T AirCard 875 and 881. not any tmobile cards.

Thanks Alex. I have the Sony Ericsson GC89 card.

Tom said:
Thanks Alex. I have the Sony Ericsson GC89 card.
OK. I can't stand the router, we dont sell it, and we don't particularly care for tech support outsourced to foreigners...
but if you want one, the DlinkDIR450 is 'supposed' to work with that card. buyer beware!  :eek:

... if you want one, the DlinkDIR450 is 'supposed' to work with that card.

I'm confused, because the DLink web page for the DIR450 says it's EVDO, whereas the GC89 card works on GPRS and EDGE

my bad. i rushed. its 451

hmm... upon further review, they seem to not claim support for GC89 anymore.
when it first came out, they did.

http://www.mobiletechreview.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=26721&an=0&page=41

... they seem to not claim support for GC89 anymore.

That page you pointed me to says the router does support GC89 (you have to scroll down the page), but the DLink web page doesn't mention it. Since the experts in the industry appear to be as confused as me, I'll email the company and ask them, but maybe they're confused also  ???

[quote author=Tom]
That page you pointed me to says the router does support GC89[/quote]
thats what i was trying to say. when the 451 came out, it claimed GC89 support.
but the current site, no longer lists it. thats not a good sign.

Oops, I got busy and forgot to post the reply I received from DLink regarding my GC89 card and the DIR451 router:

"This card is not on our compatibility lists but it doesn't mean it will not work, we are just not able to support it if it will not work.  I don't see another model that has your card listed as supported to recommend.  At this time we do not have an ETA on when a new version of firmware will be released to support new cards. You can check back with us from time to time through email or by visiting our support.dlink.com website."

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoeHoward
Back
Top Bottom