What car XTerra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

forestboy

Hi Guys

We've virtually done the deal on the Dolphin so next on the list is a car.
I fancy a Nissan XTerra as we have a Pathfinder in the UK and like it, I saw a lot of these in Florida last week and it would suit us just fine.

Do any forum members tow one and if so whats it like to tow 4 down.
I realise it has to be manual (stick shift) but thats ok.
Would it be suitable behind the Dolphin or would it be a bit too much load, I don't want to restrict the performance by having too much weight behind the coach.
If it is it too heavy we'll opt for something smaller like a Yaris etc etc.
Can anyone reccomend a reputable dealer I could visit on my next trip within driving distance of Tampa. We would prefer used if possible let someone else take the hit.
I visited Gator Ford by Lazydays last week but the sales guy talked to me like I'd just got off the banana boat. Not impressed.
Also we'll need a braked towing system fitted any reccomendations of a suitable system and a company to fit it, again in Tampa or nearby

Then it'll be secure storage and trip planning. Almost like working again.  :eek:

Thanks Guys

Rory

We have a 2001 XTerra 4x4 that we bought new 78,000 miles ago, on the odometer, and 70,000 more miles towed behind our coach. Still love it. It is an automatic with a drive shaft disconnect from REMCO and it has worked great from the get go. Hooking up is fast and easy, maybe 10 seconds to use the disconnect. Its a little longer to disconnect because the engine has to warm up slightly so that it idles at under 1,000 RPM. Then it takes about another 5 seconds to reengage the drive shaft. The car weighs about 4,500 pounds but tows easily for our coach.

The newer model has a larger engine and transmission and the automatic is not towable 4 down. The stick is. Can't say if the Dolphin would be adversely affected by the weight. If your tow capacity is 5,000 pounds, I'd go for it.

Bernie, I forgot about the disconnect when I talked to Rory earlier. Do you have photos or a link so he and others can see what it is/does?

TIA.

Tom said:
Bernie, I forgot about the disconnect when I talked to Rory earlier. Do you have photos or a link so he and others can see what it is/does?

Tom

I don't have any photos, in the car is only a push/pull knob to activate the mechanism. The disconnect package includes a new, special drive shaft that has a collar on it controlled by the knob to engage/disengage the shaft from the differential. It is a REMCO product and they can give a more detailed explanation. There are some detailed diagrams on REMCO's website here.

Thanks Bernie. That Remco link turns up exactly what I was hoping for.

Thanks for that Bernie it looks a great piece of kit and opens up a lot more options for towing.

Even though my preference is to have a vehicle that does not require such mods to tow I do know Bernie has been very satisfied with the remco disconnect.

Ron said:
Even though my preference is to have a vehicle that does not require such mods to tow I do know Bernie has been very satisfied with the remco disconnect.

Hi Ron
What are your reasons behind not having such mods I'm interested to hear all sides

This is a personal choice but I can't bring myself to buy something I have to modify to be able to use it for my intened purpose, in this case towing behind a MH, when there are so many alternatives that do not require modification.  I am not infering that the mods are inferior and I do know that Bernie has been very satisfied with the drive line disconnect.

Rory

Our rationale for using the drive shaft disconnect was that we preferred the XTerra to any other 4wd drive car we tried. Without the disconnect we would have had to settle on a vehicle that we didn't like as much. The disconnect doesn't void any warranty, is a simple install and is as easy to use as any "built-in" system out there. I wouldn't be concerned, make your decision based on the vehicle.

Hi Bernie

I totally agree and would not hesitate to fit this device, especially as like you it would be the perfect vehile for us.
However I've been calculating the weights and if I go this route I am going to be right on the max weight limit based on all tanks at 80 percent. This is not ideal in my opinion I would prefer some tolerance and would'nt be happy being loaded to capacity all the time so may have to rethink what car we get.  ???
Shame because we'd found some really nice Xterra's on internet  ???

Ror,

Care to share the weight calculations? You could just plug some numbers into this example in our library.

Note that I didn't include the weight of fuel in the coach, because Monaco includes a full tank of diesel in the UVW.

Tom
Thanks for the link it turns out to be the same as the calculation I used

Ron
The Grand Vitara is next on the list but I don't know much about them there are a few in the UK but I'm not sure their very popular and don't know anyone wh's owned one. Any info on them gratefully accepted.

Am I correct in not wanting to run fully loaded or are RVs so overbuilt that they can run fully loaded happily. Seems to me a fully loaded RV is going to put a lot of strain on all components or am I being over cautious.

forestboy said:
Ron
The Grand Vitara is next on the list but I don't know much about them there are a few in the UK but I'm not sure their very popular and don't know anyone wh's owned one. Any info on them gratefully accepted.
Hopefully some of the members here that have owned the Gran Vitara will jump in with their comments.
Am I correct in not wanting to run fully loaded or are RVs so overbuilt that they can run fully loaded happily. Seems to me a fully loaded RV is going to put a lot of strain on all components or am I being over cautious.
I wouldn't want to travel fully loaded to maximum capacity.  Leaves no room to add anythin. 

FWIW, I own and tow a 2003 Grand Vitara, XL-7. It hooks up and tows easily. It's our "family car" when we're not out in the RV - around town. It's reliable, easy to drive, and very comfortable. I have owned it just over a year, and am happy, so far.

Downside, it gets lousy mileage - around 10mpg in town and short drives. Haven't had it out on the hiway, except behind the MH, so don't know the hiway mpg. (Gets great mileage, in tow.)  ::)

Hope someone with more time and miles responds for you.

Ray D  ;D

forestboy said:
Hi Bernie

I totally agree and would not hesitate to fit this device, especially as like you it would be the perfect vehile for us.
However I've been calculating the weights and if I go this route I am going to be right on the max weight limit based on all tanks at 80 percent. This is not ideal in my opinion I would prefer some tolerance and would'nt be happy being loaded to capacity all the time so may have to rethink what car we get.  ???
Shame because we'd found some really nice Xterra's on internet  ???

Rory

The only number I would be concerned about is the GVCR. If you have a 5k# towing leeway there, I wouldn't be concerned. The coach brakes are rated for the GVWR only, so you will need supplemental brakes. Otherwise, the coach is designed for the weight it is pulling. Any weight on the coach below the GVWR is added to the towing capacity, so you shouldn't have any issues there AS LONG AS THE TOW RATING IS 5k#s.

Back
Top Bottom