LCD TV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

washtubman

I would like to take my current TV out of its overhead cabinet in the front of our 05 Vacationer, put doors on the cabinet and then somehow mount a 32" LCD under that cabinet that would flip down when used and back up for storage/driving.  Anyone done that or have any suggestions as far as a mount, etc.  Thanks.

WTM

I am planning to do exactly what you describe. I am interested in what you do and I will keep you informed of what I do. I purchased a Sharp LC-32D62U which is about 31.4" wide. The TV is due in at Sears this Tuesday.  I won't get to it for a while as it is not top of the priority list.

Wayne

Wayne,
Surely we're not the only ones wanting to do this, so hopefully we'll get some good feedback.  It would be pretty easy to do if we did'nt want it to flip down.  Will let you know if I come across the solution.  Thanks

I think you'll find other threads on replacing those old head thumper TVs with [much] better new ones.  Just use the search feature above.

ArdraF

Karl and Ardra,

I think they want to hang it UNDER the front cabinets on a flip down mount. I don't know of anyone that has done that.

I don't know of any flip down mount that would handle a TV of that size. I know they have the big ones that mount in the ceiling but they are very expensive.

WTM

I have been working on this concept of how to mount a LCD TV in the front below the cabinets. I am showing you some middle-of-the job pictures for any comments. My question to all interested viewers is: Does this type of installation look OK or would it be better to just mount the TV at the top for viewing and swing it down if access to the back cabinet is needed? Most of the work already done is needed for either installation, just take out some of the parts. It has been a lot of slow work, especially the engineering.

Wayne

Attachments

• TV Installation 001 (Small).jpg
    TV Installation 001 (Small).jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 395
  • TV Installation 002 (Small).jpg
    TV Installation 002 (Small).jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 243
  • TV Installation 004 (Small).jpg
    TV Installation 004 (Small).jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 329
  • TV Installation 006 (Small).jpg
    TV Installation 006 (Small).jpg
    44 KB · Views: 285
  • TV Installation 007 (Small).jpg
    TV Installation 007 (Small).jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 335
Here are some pictures of before:

Wayne

Attachments

• TV Installation2 001 (Small).jpg
    TV Installation2 001 (Small).jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 236
  • TV Installation2 002 (Small).jpg
    TV Installation2 002 (Small).jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 171
  • TV Installation2 003 (Small).jpg
    TV Installation2 003 (Small).jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 218
  • TV Installation2 005 (Small).jpg
    TV Installation2 005 (Small).jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 216
Wayne,
Now that I see the 'before' pictures, I can understand what you meant by 'engineering'! That sheet metal box was made to fit that tv only, and it couldn't have been easy to convert the space to a flat panel tv. You've done a pretty nice job. :)

Wayne,
Thanks for showing us the pics.  When you are done, will there be something to cover the bracket and back of the TV when its in the up position?  My idea was to mount it UNDER my existing cabinet where it would fold down, and thus I could put doors on the existing cabinet for extra storage.  My cabinet is square so would probably be more suitable than yours.  Send finished pics, ok?  Thanks 

WTM

What you suggest, to mount the TV so that the stored position is horizontal is a good one, but I do not have enough room to mount the 32" unit in my motorhome.  To go to a smaller TV size would defeat the purposes of my project. The old unit was 24"

It looks like a cover to hide the back of the TV in the stowed position would be nice. Iam looking at the possibility. Maybe with a nice picture drawn by my grandaughter on it. The main problem is cooling ventilation. The manufacturers usually suggest 6" away from any walls. I think one can get as close as 1" if some thought is put in it. Probably just leave the top and bottom open.

I am about 90% done. I need to put shelves in the cabinet to mount the HDTV receiver and other equipment. Also to make it look pretty. I have to figure out how to best do the cabling and proceed to get everything fine tuned and tweaked. Attached are the pictures as of tonight.

Wayne

Attachments

• IMG_0211 (Small).jpg
    IMG_0211 (Small).jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 267
  • IMG_0213 (Small).jpg
    IMG_0213 (Small).jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_0215 (Small).jpg
    IMG_0215 (Small).jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 246
Wayne,

Do you have to plug and unplug all the connections to your TV everytime you open/close it for use? I guess you can just use the internal speaker system and just plug in the antenna connection.

What's that LCD screen to the left of the TV with the two small speakers?

Wayne,
I you're going to be hiding IR remote controlled 'stuff' in a cabinte, you may want to consider something like THIS.  It's a universal IR/RF remote control AND RF receiver that can be placed behind a cabinet door. Outputs on the back let you run up to 6 (included) IR 'repeaters' to the IR detector on the front of your devices. No need to have the doors open. :) Just ordered one myself, so I can't say Yay or Nay yet, but the reviews are quite good.

To all who liked my installation, Thanks.

Bruce
My plan is to route all of the wires and cables to the TV in such a way that there will be nothing more needed other than releasing the two latches at the top and lowering the screen and vice versa. Ain't quite there yet, but soon.  I also plan to hook up the MH surround sound.

The LCD on the left is the display for the Silverleaf engine monitor and Delorme mapping program. There is an  Acer mini-desktop computer in the compartment above the screen. A description of this installation is in the forum files.

Karl
I have a pair of IR repeater modules. One receives the IR signals from the regular remote(s) and modulates an RF signal. The other receives the RF signal and makes the IR signal that is seen by the controlled units. This system allows me to change the satellite receiver channels from the bedroom. They work great in a normal situation. I don't know how they would work in the enclosed cabinet, but I bet it would work just fine. DirecTv offers an RF remote unit for about $20 for the new H21 HDTV. It can also control everything that I need. I plan to get one of those remotes for my system. Your system sounds good also.

Wayne

Wayne,
I too use the IR/RF repeaters in my bedroom for controlling the recorder, but still need a remote for the DVD player, one for the home theatre audio, another for the tv - all in addition to the 'peanut' remote for the recorder for living room use. This is an attempt to consolidate everything into one remote and be able to hide everything in a cabinet. Don't know if you have this problem, but the repeater in the bedroom gets kind of picky about where the IR comes from. Sometimes just having a reading lamp on will cause it to quit responding. 

Karl

Yes you are right. This is getting complicated, guess I will have to think some more about what I really need. After a little more thinking, it has occured to me that the TV will not be in the same cabinet as the satellite receiver. Maybe the best approach is to leave one of the doors open while the TV is in use. Thanks for pointing out the availability of the newer system. Let me know how it works out when you get it.

Wayne

Back
Top Bottom