EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: LCD TV  (Read 26641 times)

washtubman

• ---
  • Jerry and Annette
LCD TV
« on: January 19, 2008, 02:15:54 PM »
I would like to take my current TV out of its overhead cabinet in the front of our 05 Vacationer, put doors on the cabinet and then somehow mount a 32" LCD under that cabinet that would flip down when used and back up for storage/driving.  Anyone done that or have any suggestions as far as a mount, etc.  Thanks.
Jerry
USAF Retired E-8
06 Holiday Rambler Vacationer PST (Gas)
07 HHR Toad

judway

• ---
  • We are at the house in West Melbourne, Florida
Re: LCD TV
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 03:03:45 PM »
WTM

I am planning to do exactly what you describe. I am interested in what you do and I will keep you informed of what I do. I purchased a Sharp LC-32D62U which is about 31.4" wide. The TV is due in at Sears this Tuesday.  I won't get to it for a while as it is not top of the priority list.

Wayne
Wayne
2003 Itasca Horizon 36LD
2017 Chevrolet Equinox LT
Remco Towbar, Demco Baseplate & Air Force One Brake
1995 GMC Sierra Z71
No Dogs      No Cats!
Retired Electrical Engineer (University of Cincinnati)
W4SRR

washtubman

• ---
  • Jerry and Annette
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2008, 04:11:15 PM »
Wayne,
Surely we're not the only ones wanting to do this, so hopefully we'll get some good feedback.  It would be pretty easy to do if we did'nt want it to flip down.  Will let you know if I come across the solution.  Thanks
Jerry
USAF Retired E-8
07 HHR Toad

Karl

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • No Brett; no sweat. A QB's not the whole team.
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2008, 10:04:26 PM »
Anyone done that or have any suggestions as far as a mount, etc.
Yes, some of us have done it or had it done. A picture would be helpful so we can see what we're (you're) working with.
Karl (Cheesehead) Kolbus   Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy cow ...what a ride!"

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2008, 10:25:48 PM »
I think you'll find other threads on replacing those old head thumper TVs with [much] better new ones.  Just use the search feature above.

ArdraF
ArdraF
:D :D

Alaskansnowbirds

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2008, 10:41:44 PM »
Karl and Ardra,

I think they want to hang it UNDER the front cabinets on a flip down mount. I don't know of anyone that has done that.

I don't know of any flip down mount that would handle a TV of that size. I know they have the big ones that mount in the ceiling but they are very expensive.
Don & Peg
Alaska/Arizona
Currently located here.
Weather at Camp Verde, AZ.

judway

• ---
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 05:12:16 PM »
WTM

I have been working on this concept of how to mount a LCD TV in the front below the cabinets. I am showing you some middle-of-the job pictures for any comments. My question to all interested viewers is: Does this type of installation look OK or would it be better to just mount the TV at the top for viewing and swing it down if access to the back cabinet is needed? Most of the work already done is needed for either installation, just take out some of the parts. It has been a lot of slow work, especially the engineering.

Wayne
Wayne
2003 Itasca Horizon 36LD
1995 GMC Sierra Z71
No Dogs      No Cats!
W4SRR

judway

• ---
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 05:48:41 PM »
Here are some pictures of before:

Wayne
Wayne
2003 Itasca Horizon 36LD
1995 GMC Sierra Z71
No Dogs      No Cats!
W4SRR

Karl

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2008, 06:05:55 PM »
Wayne,
Now that I see the 'before' pictures, I can understand what you meant by 'engineering'! That sheet metal box was made to fit that tv only, and it couldn't have been easy to convert the space to a flat panel tv. You've done a pretty nice job. :)
Karl (Cheesehead) Kolbus   Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy cow ...what a ride!"

washtubman

• ---
  • Jerry and Annette
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2008, 07:32:36 AM »
Wayne,
Thanks for showing us the pics.  When you are done, will there be something to cover the bracket and back of the TV when its in the up position?  My idea was to mount it UNDER my existing cabinet where it would fold down, and thus I could put doors on the existing cabinet for extra storage.  My cabinet is square so would probably be more suitable than yours.  Send finished pics, ok?  Thanks 
Jerry
USAF Retired E-8
07 HHR Toad

judway

• ---
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2008, 07:14:41 PM »
WTM

What you suggest, to mount the TV so that the stored position is horizontal is a good one, but I do not have enough room to mount the 32" unit in my motorhome.  To go to a smaller TV size would defeat the purposes of my project. The old unit was 24"

It looks like a cover to hide the back of the TV in the stowed position would be nice. Iam looking at the possibility. Maybe with a nice picture drawn by my grandaughter on it. The main problem is cooling ventilation. The manufacturers usually suggest 6" away from any walls. I think one can get as close as 1" if some thought is put in it. Probably just leave the top and bottom open.

I am about 90% done. I need to put shelves in the cabinet to mount the HDTV receiver and other equipment. Also to make it look pretty. I have to figure out how to best do the cabling and proceed to get everything fine tuned and tweaked. Attached are the pictures as of tonight.

Wayne
Wayne
2003 Itasca Horizon 36LD
1995 GMC Sierra Z71
No Dogs      No Cats!
W4SRR

Jeff

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2008, 10:55:54 PM »
Wayne:

Great looking job.

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2008, 07:30:54 AM »
Wayne,

Great job on the TV!!!
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2000 American Dream 40' DP
2012 GMC Terrain
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50T Motorcycle
http://photo.net/photos/jimdick

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2008, 07:46:31 AM »
Good Job on the TV installation.
Ron & Sam-home is where we park it. Currently located   HERE

BruceinFL

• ---
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2008, 11:57:45 AM »
Wayne,

Do you have to plug and unplug all the connections to your TV everytime you open/close it for use? I guess you can just use the internal speaker system and just plug in the antenna connection.

What's that LCD screen to the left of the TV with the two small speakers?
Bruce A.
2004 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK 5W
2005 Ford F-350 SRW 6.0L

Karl

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2008, 01:12:35 PM »
Wayne,
I you're going to be hiding IR remote controlled 'stuff' in a cabinte, you may want to consider something like THIS.  It's a universal IR/RF remote control AND RF receiver that can be placed behind a cabinet door. Outputs on the back let you run up to 6 (included) IR 'repeaters' to the IR detector on the front of your devices. No need to have the doors open. :) Just ordered one myself, so I can't say Yay or Nay yet, but the reviews are quite good.

judway

• ---
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2008, 05:21:00 PM »
To all who liked my installation, Thanks.

Bruce
My plan is to route all of the wires and cables to the TV in such a way that there will be nothing more needed other than releasing the two latches at the top and lowering the screen and vice versa. Ain't quite there yet, but soon.  I also plan to hook up the MH surround sound.

The LCD on the left is the display for the Silverleaf engine monitor and Delorme mapping program. There is an  Acer mini-desktop computer in the compartment above the screen. A description of this installation is in the forum files.

Karl
I have a pair of IR repeater modules. One receives the IR signals from the regular remote(s) and modulates an RF signal. The other receives the RF signal and makes the IR signal that is seen by the controlled units. This system allows me to change the satellite receiver channels from the bedroom. They work great in a normal situation. I don't know how they would work in the enclosed cabinet, but I bet it would work just fine. DirecTv offers an RF remote unit for about $20 for the new H21 HDTV. It can also control everything that I need. I plan to get one of those remotes for my system. Your system sounds good also.

Wayne
Wayne
2003 Itasca Horizon 36LD
1995 GMC Sierra Z71
No Dogs      No Cats!
W4SRR

Karl

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2008, 05:39:15 PM »
Wayne,
I too use the IR/RF repeaters in my bedroom for controlling the recorder, but still need a remote for the DVD player, one for the home theatre audio, another for the tv - all in addition to the 'peanut' remote for the recorder for living room use. This is an attempt to consolidate everything into one remote and be able to hide everything in a cabinet. Don't know if you have this problem, but the repeater in the bedroom gets kind of picky about where the IR comes from. Sometimes just having a reading lamp on will cause it to quit responding. 

judway

• ---
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2008, 07:22:55 PM »
Karl

Yes you are right. This is getting complicated, guess I will have to think some more about what I really need. After a little more thinking, it has occured to me that the TV will not be in the same cabinet as the satellite receiver. Maybe the best approach is to leave one of the doors open while the TV is in use. Thanks for pointing out the availability of the newer system. Let me know how it works out when you get it.

Wayne
Wayne
2003 Itasca Horizon 36LD
1995 GMC Sierra Z71
No Dogs      No Cats!
W4SRR

Karl

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2008, 05:37:49 AM »
Will do, Wayne.

judway

• ---
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2008, 09:46:38 AM »
I have essentialy finished the TV project  ;D. It required a little tweaking after travel on some rough roads  :(. The attached pictures show the final version. The view of the rear with a bulletin board cover is exactly that. I built a cover from a cork bulletin board. I have not finished mounting it because I am not sure if I want it. Some questions were asked about a cover and this is the results. ;D

The next allied project is replacing the Winegard crankup satellite antenna with a new MotoSat SL5 unit. I probably will post pictures of it as I get it installed.

Wayne
2003 Itasca Horizon 36LD
1995 GMC Sierra Z71
No Dogs      No Cats!
W4SRR

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2008, 10:16:21 AM »
You do good work Wayne. Thanks for the photos.
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2008, 12:15:48 PM »
Nice Job Wayne.

judway

• ---
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2008, 02:58:08 PM »
Tom & Ron

Thanks. I am proud of the job. It might not be a first class job  :(, but it is an excellent second class job  ;D ;D.

Wayne
Wayne
2003 Itasca Horizon 36LD
1995 GMC Sierra Z71
No Dogs      No Cats!
W4SRR

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2008, 07:25:13 PM »
Wayne,
One thin that impresses us is you now have the TV located at a much more comfortable lebvel for viewing.  Pretty clever I'd say.

KodiakRV

• ---
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2008, 07:42:58 PM »
Nice job!  The third picture is a cover that goes over the back of the TV in the stowed position, right?  What is it made of and how is it attached?
Frank
Florida

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2008, 10:18:04 PM »
Wayne,

Great job!!! I was showing our neighbor your installation as he has been talking about a larger screen TV but didn't know how to do it. Seems like your project would really work though his TV is mounted more to the right than yours. He's not inclined to be a cabinet maker so he would have to have someone do it for him. :)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 10:37:54 PM by Jim Dick »
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2000 American Dream 40' DP
2012 GMC Terrain
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50T Motorcycle
http://photo.net/photos/jimdick

Jeff

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2008, 10:24:30 PM »
Wayne:

Good job! Looks like great engineering and cabinetry to me.

judway

• ---
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2008, 12:13:43 PM »
Frank

The cover started out with a bulletin board purchased from Michaels which was about 36" X 24". I disassembled the cork part from the frame and cut the board to 31" X 20", cut the frame to fit and reasembled with brads and glue.  I use Gorilla glue. The siize was then the same as the front of the TV. I next made two side pieces 5" X 20" X 1/4" which were glued onto the sides of the main board. 1/2" X 1/2" pieces were used to make the joints strong. The top and bottom are left open for ventilation and the cover is about 1" away from the back of the TV for the same reason.

Pictures are shown.

The installed picture is not true, it was just placed there for the picture. I have not installed it yet. The plan is to use 3 or 5 small screws to fasten it to the side of the TV bezel. An alternate way would be to use sticky-back velcro.

The last picture is of the source for the doors and shelves. The cost of this vanity was $40 and the color match was perfect.
Wayne
2003 Itasca Horizon 36LD
1995 GMC Sierra Z71
No Dogs      No Cats!
W4SRR

judway

• ---
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2008, 06:07:46 PM »
Here are the final pictures of my HDTV installation. The new antenna finds the satellites and I get a good picture in about 6 minutes. The signal strengths of the transponders are close to the values obtained from an antenna installed by a  commercial installer. Most in the nineties and some cases 100. Total cost about $3400  ???.
Wayne
2003 Itasca Horizon 36LD
1995 GMC Sierra Z71
No Dogs      No Cats!
W4SRR

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2008, 08:12:06 PM »
Looking good, Wayne.  That's the new Motosat 5 LNB dish, right?

We just decided to pass on that and stay with a standard KVH dome for now. My DirecTV bill went up enough already without adding HD service fees and the $2400 price tag of that fancy dish.  Probably a dumb move, but I'm having a bit of sticker shock right now.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2008, 09:09:42 PM »
Good choice.  I kinda think the same as Gary though.

Jeff

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2008, 09:37:07 PM »
Don't listen to them Wayne. We are all drooling. ;D

judway

• ---
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2008, 08:41:54 AM »
Yes, the antenna is the latest 5 LNB MotoSat. It cost $2K total from an internet dealer. The installation is easy, however the installation guide was a little bit confusing to me. The similar Winegard antenna is $400 less, but might not be as accurate. The propaganda from both manufacturers make it difficult to determine what is correct. A side by side comparison would be nice. The new Winegard seems to be much better built than the previous models. I liked the old Winegard manual unit. It was very easy to setup and fast. However, a gusty wind would sometimes blow it off the satellite. The new HD satellite receiver had been used just with the old antenna and no HD used. With the new antenna there was no HD reception and some other strange stuff. DirecTV was not of much help. I finally figured out that the receiver had to be reset back to the original new factory conditions and start the installation all over again. Now everything works fine.
Wayne
2003 Itasca Horizon 36LD
1995 GMC Sierra Z71
No Dogs      No Cats!
W4SRR

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2008, 12:11:00 PM »
Wayne,

Care to share the URL of the internet dealer? TIA.

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2008, 03:10:49 PM »
$2k is an excellent price. Best price I found was $2400 (including shipping anywhere in the lower 48). y all means let us know where you found this deal!

I've seen some favorable reviews of the new Winegard Trav'ler - they say it appears to be much more robust than its predecessors.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2008, 08:14:25 PM »
The new Winegard automatic dish is being installed as standard equipment on new high end Monaco coaches.

Karl

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2008, 12:24:42 AM »
The new Winegard automatic dish is being installed as standard equipment on new high end Monaco coaches.
But I'll bet it doesn't have blue lights. Extra cost option?::)

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2008, 07:56:03 AM »
I've asked for the model number so we can check it out Karl.

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2008, 12:18:59 PM »
I think I would prefer the Motosat myself.

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • Ned and Lorna are former full time RVers
    • Have you seen Rolling Stock?
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2008, 12:35:30 PM »
You won't find a blue light option on the Winegard.  That option is called Motosat :)  In comparison testing of the Winegard and Motosat 5 LNB HD antennas, initial testing showed the Winegard to faster in pointing, but the Motosat to be more accurate.  Subsequent improvements show the Motosat to be as fast as the Winegard, and still more accurate.  The only advantage the Winegard now has is price, which is important to some buyers.
-- Ned -- Fulltimer 1997-2013
1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE
2007 GMC Canyon

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2008, 01:16:33 PM »
I think the price differential is inconsequential on a $500 to $700K coach.

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2008, 01:35:30 PM »
I agree with that.
2007 GMC Canyon

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2008, 05:27:25 PM »
Oops, need to correct my earlier statement:

Should have said:

The new Winegard dish (model SK-3005) is the only HD dish offered as an option on Monaco coaches. I asked what a Motosat would cost, and they won't install one at the factory. Could be done as after market of course, and would need to get the coach pre-wired for it.

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2008, 06:39:24 PM »

I doubt price was much of a coonsideration.  I do know at least one guy that if he was to buy a Monaco the Motosat antenna would be a must include at NO additional cost. ;D

Jeff

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2008, 06:40:34 PM »
I doubt price was much of a coonsideration.  I do know at least one guy that if he was to buy a Monaco the Motosat antenna would be a must include at NO additional cost. ;D

Ron:

Free, huh? ;D ;D

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #46 on: April 22, 2008, 06:56:36 PM »
Ron:

Free, huh? ;D ;D

No just included instead of the Winegard.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #47 on: April 22, 2008, 07:03:42 PM »
Monaco wouldn't install it, free or paid. I talked directly with a factory rep last week and again today. Maybe the dealer will do it as part of the deal for your friend.

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #48 on: April 22, 2008, 07:07:16 PM »
Monaco wouldn't install it, free or paid. I talked directly with a factory rep last week and again today. Maybe the dealer will do it as part of the deal for your friend.

Seems like a stupid position to take unless they can provide an excellent reason for taking this position.  Wonder if Motosat is aware of any reason for this position. ??? ???

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #49 on: April 22, 2008, 07:23:12 PM »
Whilst I don't agree with everything Monaco does, I wouldn't call any of their decisions stupid. They have their reasons for this one, but attempting to discuss them here would obviously be futile. If anyone is interested, I'd be glad to provide the phone number for you to call.

Monaco doesn't provide freebies as part of any deal; Those would be things negotiated with the dealer. However, we were pleasantly surprised to find a number of upgrades they would do for free if ordering a coach. These are done on a case by case basis, and it's really up to the factory rep which upgrades to throw in for free.

Spending time with Tim DeMartini and and the Monaco factory rep last week, both with zero sales pressure, was very enlightening. Tim came to our coach at the fairgrounds after work on Saturday afternoon, and I learned a lot about his 35 years in business. At no time did I hear "are you going to buy a coach?", although he sold quite a few coaches last week.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #50 on: April 22, 2008, 07:56:15 PM »
Seeing Wayne and Gary's excellent results, I decided to do something about our TV. We had a tube TV which bit the dust and I'd temporarily installed a 32" LCD that was moved between the salon of the boat and the coach. However, in the coach it was obtrusive and a definite head banger. Yesterday I zipped over to Costco and bought a 26" LCD HDTV.

After some thought and several prototypes, I believe I've figured out what I want to do, and it won't cost the $10K that Davis Cabinets quoted.

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #51 on: April 22, 2008, 08:00:42 PM »
Good for you Tom.  We will be looking forward to progress reports.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #52 on: April 22, 2008, 09:33:27 PM »
Progress will be slow. I wasn't up for major cabinet changes, but what I've come up with should work with existing cabinets, some new internal woodwork, and minor changes to trim.

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #53 on: April 22, 2008, 09:40:16 PM »
No need to rush Tom.  We are still looking forward to the progress reports.

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #54 on: April 22, 2008, 09:41:41 PM »

For sure, but the vast majority of coaches that Monaco sells are nowhere near $500k, let alone $700k.  These days nearly all models have a dish standard or optional and my guess is that they simply want to standardize the dome across the product line, to simply wiring and layout as well as inventory, factory staff training, etc. And all of the reviews on the new Winegard have rated it highly, so the difference between Motosat & Winegard may well be academic to the majority of buyers.

"More accurate" does not mean the competitor is inadequate in it accuracy.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #55 on: April 22, 2008, 11:51:49 PM »
I'm sure that standardization is part of it Gary, although I found them quite flexible on a number of other things that aren't listed or normal options, including running extra cables, air lines, appliances, and a whole lot more. However, when it came to satellite stuff and associated wiring, there was a very definite pushback. If, for example, a customer wanted them to run the wires for a Motosat or Datastorm which the customer would install later, they felt they couldn't test the partial installation and therefore couldn't guarantee it.

The coach in question wasn't one of their lower end models, and the Winegard was a $3,000+ option.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 11:55:30 PM by Tom »

Alaskansnowbirds

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #56 on: April 23, 2008, 12:16:46 AM »
If they didn't want to put the wiring in, I'd ask them to put a conduit in so I could run the wires myself later. That way there isn't anything for them to test.

I would rather have the conduit than the wiring anyhow. That way I could run whatever wiring I wanted to or run something different later.
Don & Peg
Alaska/Arizona
Currently located here.
Weather at Camp Verde, AZ.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #57 on: April 23, 2008, 12:17:54 AM »
Conduits they'll do Don.

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #58 on: April 23, 2008, 07:07:33 AM »
As in everything that goes into an RV, it's probably a matter of the lowest bidder.
2007 GMC Canyon

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #59 on: April 26, 2008, 04:51:07 PM »
Wish I could find the photo of the 32" head banger LCD I'd installed on the outside of the old TV cabinet; I'll attach it when I find it.

Not wanting to do a lot of cabinetry, I decided to mount a 26" LCD using a backboard recessed into the old "tube TV" cabinet. After mounting the TV, I had sufficient space for a DTV receiver and a new (replacement) DVD player. Modifying the original trim was going to be a challenge, so I merely installed it 'upside down'. The final thing was a black metal screen to hide the DTV receiver and DVD player.

This is my prototype, but it might be a while before I get around to re-doing it and recessing the old cabinet.

judway

• ---
« Reply #60 on: April 26, 2008, 06:46:49 PM »
Looks good.

Wayne
Wayne
2003 Itasca Horizon 36LD
1995 GMC Sierra Z71
No Dogs      No Cats!
W4SRR

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #61 on: April 26, 2008, 06:57:09 PM »
Thanks Wayne. Not like the excellent work that you and Gary did. But, for the approx $500 price of the TV, it sure beats the $10,000 price I was given at Davis Cabinets and the $500K price of the coach that Chris was looking at last week. in Grass Valley :o

Having the garage and tools at home to work with also helps a lot.  ;D
« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 07:00:56 PM by Tom »

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #62 on: April 26, 2008, 07:13:33 PM »
Looks good Tom.  Hope Chris likes it too.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #63 on: April 26, 2008, 07:15:58 PM »
Thanks Ron. Chris gave me the thumbs up, so now I can start working on more projects  ;D

She's wanting tile down the center of the coach, but I need to have someone do that for us. The challenge is to prevent her tearing out the carpet before we get to a tiler  :(

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #64 on: April 26, 2008, 07:19:52 PM »
Looks fine to me , Tom.

There's a good cabinet maker in Decatur (Greg Mies @ From Trees to These) who would re-build that cabinet with your 26" tv for well under $1000. More like $700, but I'm guessing.   In fact, for around $1200 he would probably re-design it to use your 32 inch instead. He is fast and reasonably priced.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #65 on: April 26, 2008, 07:27:13 PM »
Thanks Gary. Just found his web site here (from the email address you provided). I'll keep him in mind for the next time we're headed out that way.

I'm not really into cabinetry, so having a professional job at those prices would be great.

caltex

• ---
« Reply #66 on: April 26, 2008, 08:52:52 PM »
Nice job Tom, it looks like it came that way.
Robert

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #67 on: April 26, 2008, 08:59:51 PM »
Thanks, it almost did Robert  ;D

BTW did you notice I was watching your favorite news channel in the last photo?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 09:02:20 PM by Tom »

Jeff

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #68 on: April 26, 2008, 11:13:53 PM »
Tom:

Mine took three days including trips back to Best Buy and Home Depot, how about you?

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #69 on: April 27, 2008, 12:09:47 AM »
About the same Jeff, but I was doing other stuff in parallel  ;D

judway

• ---
« Reply #70 on: April 27, 2008, 06:51:11 AM »
You guys only took 3 days? :-\ It took me 3 months. >:(

Wayne
Wayne
2003 Itasca Horizon 36LD
1995 GMC Sierra Z71
No Dogs      No Cats!
W4SRR

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #71 on: April 27, 2008, 09:15:12 AM »
Wayne,

The current version is actually my second prototype. We were driving around with the first prototype for a year  ;D 

RonC

« Reply #72 on: May 04, 2008, 04:09:20 PM »
Seems like a stupid position to take unless they can provide an excellent reason for taking this position.  Wonder if Motosat is aware of any reason for this position. ??? ???

I looked at both the Motosat and Weingard in detail and the construction is not significantly better between units The one thing I note about the Motosat is not only does it cost significantly more the current buyers of that antenna have had to go through somewhere between 5 and 10 software upgrade in the last two months due to many bugs whereas the Weingard has been out since January with no required software upgrades. I'm fairly positive they both will work fine but the negative propaganda that the Motosat dealers propagate casting doubt on the Weingard instead of providing real info as to why theirs is better and what justifies the price difference really soured me on the Motosat. I observed several coaches with the Weingard dish now and the owners have been quite satisfied.

Frankly speaking, I think both units are grossly overpriced. Especially considering that DirecTV will upgrade your home antenna to a 5 LNB for FREE. I understand there is more involved but $2k plus is ridiculous and just plan gauging. Problem is with the changes DirecTV is making moving their programming to the KA satellites making all Dome type and 1,2, or 3 LNB antennas obsolete over the next two years, the 5 LNB Weingard and Motosat are the ONLY two dishes you can buy that will still continue to receive the major programs in two years.

At this point I'm either going to buy the Weingard or wait until next year when th eprices come down.

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #73 on: May 04, 2008, 08:05:07 PM »
Well, I have a bit more understanding of what's involved in the upgrade, 2k Is not out of line for the automatic dish

For a fixed install (or a tripod install) the job is change out the antenna, point it, done.

But the automatic roof tops the bigger antenna takes a different motor, a stronger mount, and a different controller

Quite a bit of modification   Of course if you have the best system Motosat came out with before the change.. Then it's a bit simpler. but still a major job.

Software updates happen because they rushed to market at the request of their users.. There is an old adage

Do not buy anything till revision 3

Applies

By the way.. Rumor on the nets is that DIRECTV is going to release yet another new antenna soon.. Though the current 5-lnb will continue to work.. The new antenna is smaller... You might wish to wait
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

Hosted by Over The Network