EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: LCD TV  (Read 25312 times)

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
Re: LCD TV
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2008, 08:12:06 PM »
Looking good, Wayne.  That's the new Motosat 5 LNB dish, right?

We just decided to pass on that and stay with a standard KVH dome for now. My DirecTV bill went up enough already without adding HD service fees and the $2400 price tag of that fancy dish.  Probably a dumb move, but I'm having a bit of sticker shock right now.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2008, 09:09:42 PM »
Good choice.  I kinda think the same as Gary though.
Ron & Sam-home is where we park it. Currently located   HERE

Jeff

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2008, 09:37:07 PM »
Don't listen to them Wayne. We are all drooling. ;D

judway

• ---
  • We are at the house in West Melbourne, Florida
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2008, 08:41:54 AM »
Yes, the antenna is the latest 5 LNB MotoSat. It cost $2K total from an internet dealer. The installation is easy, however the installation guide was a little bit confusing to me. The similar Winegard antenna is $400 less, but might not be as accurate. The propaganda from both manufacturers make it difficult to determine what is correct. A side by side comparison would be nice. The new Winegard seems to be much better built than the previous models. I liked the old Winegard manual unit. It was very easy to setup and fast. However, a gusty wind would sometimes blow it off the satellite. The new HD satellite receiver had been used just with the old antenna and no HD used. With the new antenna there was no HD reception and some other strange stuff. DirecTV was not of much help. I finally figured out that the receiver had to be reset back to the original new factory conditions and start the installation all over again. Now everything works fine.
Wayne
2003 Itasca Horizon 36LD
2017 Chevrolet Equinox LT
Remco Towbar, Demco Baseplate & Air Force One Brake
1995 GMC Sierra Z71
No Dogs      No Cats!
Retired Electrical Engineer (University of Cincinnati)
W4SRR

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2008, 12:11:00 PM »
Wayne,

Care to share the URL of the internet dealer? TIA.
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2008, 03:10:49 PM »
$2k is an excellent price. Best price I found was $2400 (including shipping anywhere in the lower 48). y all means let us know where you found this deal!

I've seen some favorable reviews of the new Winegard Trav'ler - they say it appears to be much more robust than its predecessors.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2008, 08:14:25 PM »
The new Winegard automatic dish is being installed as standard equipment on new high end Monaco coaches.

Karl

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • No Brett; no sweat. A QB's not the whole team.
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2008, 12:24:42 AM »
The new Winegard automatic dish is being installed as standard equipment on new high end Monaco coaches.
But I'll bet it doesn't have blue lights. Extra cost option?::)
Karl (Cheesehead) Kolbus   Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy cow ...what a ride!"

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2008, 07:56:03 AM »
I've asked for the model number so we can check it out Karl.

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2008, 12:18:59 PM »
I think I would prefer the Motosat myself.

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • Ned and Lorna are former full time RVers
    • Have you seen Rolling Stock?
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2008, 12:35:30 PM »
You won't find a blue light option on the Winegard.  That option is called Motosat :)  In comparison testing of the Winegard and Motosat 5 LNB HD antennas, initial testing showed the Winegard to faster in pointing, but the Motosat to be more accurate.  Subsequent improvements show the Motosat to be as fast as the Winegard, and still more accurate.  The only advantage the Winegard now has is price, which is important to some buyers.
-- Ned -- Fulltimer 1997-2013
1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE
2007 GMC Canyon

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2008, 01:16:33 PM »
I think the price differential is inconsequential on a $500 to $700K coach.

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2008, 01:35:30 PM »
I agree with that.
2007 GMC Canyon

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2008, 05:27:25 PM »
Oops, need to correct my earlier statement:

Should have said:

The new Winegard dish (model SK-3005) is the only HD dish offered as an option on Monaco coaches. I asked what a Motosat would cost, and they won't install one at the factory. Could be done as after market of course, and would need to get the coach pre-wired for it.

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2008, 06:39:24 PM »

I doubt price was much of a coonsideration.  I do know at least one guy that if he was to buy a Monaco the Motosat antenna would be a must include at NO additional cost. ;D

Jeff

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2008, 06:40:34 PM »
I doubt price was much of a coonsideration.  I do know at least one guy that if he was to buy a Monaco the Motosat antenna would be a must include at NO additional cost. ;D

Ron:

Free, huh? ;D ;D

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #46 on: April 22, 2008, 06:56:36 PM »
Ron:

Free, huh? ;D ;D

No just included instead of the Winegard.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #47 on: April 22, 2008, 07:03:42 PM »
Monaco wouldn't install it, free or paid. I talked directly with a factory rep last week and again today. Maybe the dealer will do it as part of the deal for your friend.

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #48 on: April 22, 2008, 07:07:16 PM »
Monaco wouldn't install it, free or paid. I talked directly with a factory rep last week and again today. Maybe the dealer will do it as part of the deal for your friend.

Seems like a stupid position to take unless they can provide an excellent reason for taking this position.  Wonder if Motosat is aware of any reason for this position. ??? ???

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #49 on: April 22, 2008, 07:23:12 PM »
Whilst I don't agree with everything Monaco does, I wouldn't call any of their decisions stupid. They have their reasons for this one, but attempting to discuss them here would obviously be futile. If anyone is interested, I'd be glad to provide the phone number for you to call.

Monaco doesn't provide freebies as part of any deal; Those would be things negotiated with the dealer. However, we were pleasantly surprised to find a number of upgrades they would do for free if ordering a coach. These are done on a case by case basis, and it's really up to the factory rep which upgrades to throw in for free.

Spending time with Tim DeMartini and and the Monaco factory rep last week, both with zero sales pressure, was very enlightening. Tim came to our coach at the fairgrounds after work on Saturday afternoon, and I learned a lot about his 35 years in business. At no time did I hear "are you going to buy a coach?", although he sold quite a few coaches last week.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #50 on: April 22, 2008, 07:56:15 PM »
Seeing Wayne and Gary's excellent results, I decided to do something about our TV. We had a tube TV which bit the dust and I'd temporarily installed a 32" LCD that was moved between the salon of the boat and the coach. However, in the coach it was obtrusive and a definite head banger. Yesterday I zipped over to Costco and bought a 26" LCD HDTV.

After some thought and several prototypes, I believe I've figured out what I want to do, and it won't cost the $10K that Davis Cabinets quoted.

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #51 on: April 22, 2008, 08:00:42 PM »
Good for you Tom.  We will be looking forward to progress reports.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #52 on: April 22, 2008, 09:33:27 PM »
Progress will be slow. I wasn't up for major cabinet changes, but what I've come up with should work with existing cabinets, some new internal woodwork, and minor changes to trim.

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #53 on: April 22, 2008, 09:40:16 PM »
No need to rush Tom.  We are still looking forward to the progress reports.

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #54 on: April 22, 2008, 09:41:41 PM »

For sure, but the vast majority of coaches that Monaco sells are nowhere near $500k, let alone $700k.  These days nearly all models have a dish standard or optional and my guess is that they simply want to standardize the dome across the product line, to simply wiring and layout as well as inventory, factory staff training, etc. And all of the reviews on the new Winegard have rated it highly, so the difference between Motosat & Winegard may well be academic to the majority of buyers.

"More accurate" does not mean the competitor is inadequate in it accuracy.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #55 on: April 22, 2008, 11:51:49 PM »
I'm sure that standardization is part of it Gary, although I found them quite flexible on a number of other things that aren't listed or normal options, including running extra cables, air lines, appliances, and a whole lot more. However, when it came to satellite stuff and associated wiring, there was a very definite pushback. If, for example, a customer wanted them to run the wires for a Motosat or Datastorm which the customer would install later, they felt they couldn't test the partial installation and therefore couldn't guarantee it.

The coach in question wasn't one of their lower end models, and the Winegard was a $3,000+ option.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 11:55:30 PM by Tom »

Alaskansnowbirds

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #56 on: April 23, 2008, 12:16:46 AM »
If they didn't want to put the wiring in, I'd ask them to put a conduit in so I could run the wires myself later. That way there isn't anything for them to test.

I would rather have the conduit than the wiring anyhow. That way I could run whatever wiring I wanted to or run something different later.
Don & Peg
Alaska/Arizona
Currently located here.
Weather at Camp Verde, AZ.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #57 on: April 23, 2008, 12:17:54 AM »
Conduits they'll do Don.

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #58 on: April 23, 2008, 07:07:33 AM »
As in everything that goes into an RV, it's probably a matter of the lowest bidder.
2007 GMC Canyon

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #59 on: April 26, 2008, 04:51:07 PM »
Wish I could find the photo of the 32" head banger LCD I'd installed on the outside of the old TV cabinet; I'll attach it when I find it.

Not wanting to do a lot of cabinetry, I decided to mount a 26" LCD using a backboard recessed into the old "tube TV" cabinet. After mounting the TV, I had sufficient space for a DTV receiver and a new (replacement) DVD player. Modifying the original trim was going to be a challenge, so I merely installed it 'upside down'. The final thing was a black metal screen to hide the DTV receiver and DVD player.

This is my prototype, but it might be a while before I get around to re-doing it and recessing the old cabinet.

Hosted by Over The Network