LCD TV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have essentialy finished the TV project  ;D. It required a little tweaking after travel on some rough roads  :(. The attached pictures show the final version. The view of the rear with a bulletin board cover is exactly that. I built a cover from a cork bulletin board. I have not finished mounting it because I am not sure if I want it. Some questions were asked about a cover and this is the results. ;D

The next allied project is replacing the Winegard crankup satellite antenna with a new MotoSat SL5 unit. I probably will post pictures of it as I get it installed.

Attachments

• IMG_0227 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0227 (Small).JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_0228 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0228 (Small).JPG
    37 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_0226 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0226 (Small).JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_0225 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0225 (Small).JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 182
Tom & Ron

Thanks. I am proud of the job. It might not be a first class job  :(, but it is an excellent second class job  ;D ;D.

Wayne

Wayne,
One thin that impresses us is you now have the TV located at a much more comfortable lebvel for viewing.  Pretty clever I'd say.

Nice job!  The third picture is a cover that goes over the back of the TV in the stowed position, right?  What is it made of and how is it attached?

Wayne,

Great job!!! I was showing our neighbor your installation as he has been talking about a larger screen TV but didn't know how to do it. Seems like your project would really work though his TV is mounted more to the right than yours. He's not inclined to be a cabinet maker so he would have to have someone do it for him. :)

Wayne:

Good job! Looks like great engineering and cabinetry to me.

Frank

The cover started out with a bulletin board purchased from Michaels which was about 36" X 24". I disassembled the cork part from the frame and cut the board to 31" X 20", cut the frame to fit and reasembled with brads and glue.  I use Gorilla glue. The siize was then the same as the front of the TV. I next made two side pieces 5" X 20" X 1/4" which were glued onto the sides of the main board. 1/2" X 1/2" pieces were used to make the joints strong. The top and bottom are left open for ventilation and the cover is about 1" away from the back of the TV for the same reason.

Pictures are shown.

The installed picture is not true, it was just placed there for the picture. I have not installed it yet. The plan is to use 3 or 5 small screws to fasten it to the side of the TV bezel. An alternate way would be to use sticky-back velcro.

The last picture is of the source for the doors and shelves. The cost of this vanity was $40 and the color match was perfect.

Attachments

• IMG_0222 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0222 (Small).JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_0223 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0223 (Small).JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_0224 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0224 (Small).JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_0194 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0194 (Small).JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 117
Here are the final pictures of my HDTV installation. The new antenna finds the satellites and I get a good picture in about 6 minutes. The signal strengths of the transponders are close to the values obtained from an antenna installed by a  commercial installer. Most in the nineties and some cases 100. Total cost about $3400  ???.

Attachments

• IMG_0230 (Small).jpg
    IMG_0230 (Small).jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_0246 (Small).jpg
    IMG_0246 (Small).jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 114
Looking good, Wayne.  That's the new Motosat 5 LNB dish, right?

We just decided to pass on that and stay with a standard KVH dome for now. My DirecTV bill went up enough already without adding HD service fees and the $2400 price tag of that fancy dish.  Probably a dumb move, but I'm having a bit of sticker shock right now.

Yes, the antenna is the latest 5 LNB MotoSat. It cost $2K total from an internet dealer. The installation is easy, however the installation guide was a little bit confusing to me. The similar Winegard antenna is $400 less, but might not be as accurate. The propaganda from both manufacturers make it difficult to determine what is correct. A side by side comparison would be nice. The new Winegard seems to be much better built than the previous models. I liked the old Winegard manual unit. It was very easy to setup and fast. However, a gusty wind would sometimes blow it off the satellite. The new HD satellite receiver had been used just with the old antenna and no HD used. With the new antenna there was no HD reception and some other strange stuff. DirecTV was not of much help. I finally figured out that the receiver had to be reset back to the original new factory conditions and start the installation all over again. Now everything works fine.

Wayne,

Care to share the URL of the internet dealer? TIA.

$2k is an excellent price. Best price I found was $2400 (including shipping anywhere in the lower 48). y all means let us know where you found this deal!

I've seen some favorable reviews of the new Winegard Trav'ler - they say it appears to be much more robust than its predecessors.

The new Winegard automatic dish is being installed as standard equipment on new high end Monaco coaches.

I've asked for the model number so we can check it out Karl.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom