Anyone bringing an SWR meter to QZ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smoky

Trying to get my ham radio set up on 40 meters for QZ.  I have never tuned my motorcoach dipole (see description below, and while my rig has a built in SWR meter, I'd love to borrow something a bit more accurate at QZ.

Can't find my RG8 cable.  Must be buried in the shed somewhere.  If it does not appear soon, I will have to make a run to HRO in Phoenix.  Isn't that sad, visiting two adult toy shops right before QZ?  (Fry Electronics is ten minutes away from HRO.)

My updated ham license finally arrived this week.  For the first time in many years it lists my current mailing address (248 Rainbow Drive) and current married name (Dennis Shepherd) as W3PY.  The FCC used to make it impossible for a married guy to take his wife's last name without a special court order.  Glad to see they have finally joined the modern world.  However was sorry to see one vestige of the past disappear.  Sorry to see the code requirement go.  I enjoy CW as my favorite mode and my new Yaesu 857d has better electronic filtering than my old Kenwood 930 had with crystal filters.  Gonna try some 40 meter SSB as well.

My antenna will be a dipole made from two end to end ham stick 40 meters intended for vertical mobile use.  Another person in the park has one and rotates it like a bean for terrific results.  Easy to put up and take down as it is supported by a pole attached to my ladder.

Hope someone brings an SWR meter I can borrow for a couple of minutes.

Now where is that 50 ohm cable??

Jim, that would be very helpful.  I have seen them advertised in the HRO catalogue and they look really cool.  You would have to do the analyzing, so I hope you are part of the deal. They look something like the old grid dip meter I used to own (before throwing out to go full-timing) but I assume they have a lot of modern tech pizazz!

If you go a few miles south on SR-95  I forget exactly what MM, but on the same side as we camp there will be a large group with a lot of antennas..  They have a swap and shop and most of them will have SWR meters.  If you ask nicely one will be more than happy to come up and help you.

Where as I don't recall the exact MM. it's ninety something.  Best I can do.  Look for antennas and perhaps license plates with JUST one number on them, the rest will be letters.

There will be some Hughes users there too.  I'd like to see some cross-membership (Technically I could park there as well as I kind of belong to that group as well)

If I were there. I have a rather nice SWAN dual meter SWR meter in my "Shack" but alas, I'm not there.

Back
Top Bottom