Yucatan/Mexico 08 with Brewers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
OMG, Betty & Terry, you both deserve a huge award for the narration of our dailly activities, and those excellent photos.. all is way more than could be expected of anyone... you are both so devoted to making this trip a wonderful experience.  It will be so easy to print your work to add to our daily journal... thanks so much for your hard work !
Annette & Fern, we really appreciate it !

I'm surprised Terry didn't grab lunch at one of the taco stands anyway.....after maybe "accidentally" dropping the tuna sandwich in the dirt? I thnk that's what I would have done :)

Wendy
FMCA Rally, Pomona

More pix for the Moreau's, Carriere's & friends... Enjoy !
What can I say more Betty & Terry tells it all... as you can see we are all having such a wonderful time.
Annette & Cooch (Fern)

Attachments

• P2101058.JPG
    P2101058.JPG
    28.2 KB · Views: 69
  • P2121110.JPG
    P2121110.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 64
  • P2121117.JPG
    P2121117.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 59
  • P2121127.JPG
    P2121127.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 59
  • P2121137.JPG
    P2121137.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 62
  • P2121142.JPG
    P2121142.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 66
  • P2131262.JPG
    P2131262.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 66
  • P2131264.JPG
    P2131264.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 68
(Ardra I know you are still reading, thank you.)

Oh, Betty, you betcha!  The last two ruins were fabulous!  Heat or not, what neat places to see.  Wouldn't you love to be able to go back in time and see them as they orginally were in their full glory.  Of course, we probably wouldn't have liked living back then, but oh to be a fly on the wall of history.

And the waterfalls are gorgeous.  The one photo looks like that white "angel hair" stuff they spread around at Christmas.  Quite an effect, even though I know it's the water flowing over the rocks.  Great photo.

It's interesting that the Mayans faded about the same time (900 A.D.) as the Anasazi up here in the southwest.  I've always been fascinated by their disappearance, especially because they haven't found mass burial sites or anything that would really tell us what happened to them.  This adds to the mystery.

Thanks for all of us who look forward to each new installment.

ArdraF

Feb 24, 2008
Villahermosa, the second time,  ?the field? El Gordo Y Poncho RV Park

We left the Hotel Parking lot this morning after a pretty orderly line up of RV?s headed for the one and only dump station at the exit of the Hotel Parking lot.  It was a surprise, as we had not counted on any dump facilities at all.  Terry and I slept in as were advised that our travel from here on out will involve some long days and we?ll get going early.  It was supposed to be an easy travel day as it was Sunday but we have concluded that that Sundays include as many or more truck (18 wheelers) as any other day.  Maybe even more as our expectations were for fewer!  Once again I mention that there are not many RV Parks in the area.  The only RV?s we see driving along the road are in our caravan.  So it?s easy to see how a park could not survive with so little business. Along the  drive we noticed the modes of transportation and that  the local butcher shop was open.  I did not buy any beef.

The narrow  road into Villahermosa was familiar as we were in this park on January 30. It seems like so long ago.  When we here last time, we enjoyed their beautiful public pool.  Today every Mexican in this city of 100,000 is here.  There is literally NO room to get into the pool as it is filled with so many children.  Most of us opted to skip this pool today (can you imagine the PH count with so many kids) and relax in our rigs with the generators running the Air Conditioning full blast.  I am becoming weary of the humidity. Jack and Shirley transported me to Wal-Mart and I bought a broasted chicken and lots more bottled water.  Oh the small familiar things of which I have become so grateful!  It will be a normal meal tonight. We have a trip briefing at 4 and a long travel day through mountains tomorrow.
Since it is a slow news day I will share with you a bit of trivia from our last 305-mile drive.  The question was posed, how many Topes do you think we crossed today? We took guesses and wished we had kept better track when the prize was to be a bottle of Tequila.  I guessed 72.  It turns out the answer was 98 and won by Terri G who does not even drink!  However, the prize was only an airlines size bottle.  We had a chuckle.  Those topes are VERY effective in keeping down speed in the zones they put them.  It is considerably better than radar or SLOW signs. Of course the alignment, tire and muffler shops all benefit from the use of the topes too. Due to topes, our caravan has lost a tow car, a microwave, a light fixture, two tires and those are only the confessed items.  There may have been more.  These roads are very hard. Our new Davis TV is fine. 

Ok the news of the day picked up.  When I returned from my Wal-Mart run and hollered in for Terry to help with groceries, he did not answer.  I did not realize it but he was sound asleep in our rig.  When he awakened he told me his arms were on fire and itching.  He was sure that he had brushed against some of the bushes when hooking up the electric (which is too high a voltage to work anyway) I asked if he wanted a cool paper towel, ice, or water or anything and he just wanted to be left alone.  He was in pain and miserable.  I did a google search on nettles and the symptoms did not seem to fit exactly.  I went to the trip briefing but took with me the new big can of spray mosquito killer we bought 2 days ago. Thankfully Walter can translate Spanish for us and the new can (with 20% free) was actually a spray insecticide for aerial spraying.  It clearly stated (in Spanish) do not get on skin and see a Doctor if exposed.  Back up a few bytes of information.  Terry has had malaria two times (a casualty of Viet Nam) and Dengue Fever (also a mosquito born disease,) so he is somewhat, no VERY obsessive about not getting any mosquito bites.  We had been here in Villahermosa on January 30 when  we  got lots of bug bites so we were prepared this time to not be bitten.  His legs got a dose of the OFF I had on hand, and then I sprayed his arms and hands with his new stuff.  So much for our attempt.  At the briefing Shirley knew that I had sprayed my husband with  ? Raid? and as it was her turn to award Goofy, I got it.  Terry was not in attendance.  He is doing fine after using lots of our water.  Moral of story buy lots of your own stuff before coming to Mexico.
Mr. Green, (Who broke Shirley?s wine glass yesterday) had a lovely replacement in a pink bag for ceremonies tonight.  This group knows how to take care of one another!

Statistics:
Motorhome Miles Driven:  98.8
  Temperatures: High 93  Low 72  Humidity 95% 
      GPS Coordinates: N 17 58.798  W 93 02.764

Attachments

• Villahermosa20003 (Small).JPG
    Villahermosa20003 (Small).JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 83
  • Villahermosa20002 (Small).JPG
    Villahermosa20002 (Small).JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 79
  • Villahermosa20001 (Small).JPG
    Villahermosa20001 (Small).JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 79
  • Villahermosa20004 (Small).JPG
    Villahermosa20004 (Small).JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 78
  • Villahermosa20005 (Small).JPG
    Villahermosa20005 (Small).JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 84
Feb 25 2008
Tehuantepec  Santa Teresa Trailer Park

Hex helped us out of the RV Field in his usual way this morning. The first 130 miles of today?s drive were a repeat of the road we took into Villahermosa but it is amazing how different things look going the other direction. There were a few tricky turns, veers and tollbooths today but we managed.  When we were within 20 miles of the RV Park, a Green Angel intercepted the Caravan and led us into the Park.  Good thing too as none of us would have ventured down the narrow dirt road without some assurance that it was correct. The area reminded me almost identical to the Palm Springs Indio area.  We have Palm trees, mountains in the background and we are under a grove of Mango trees.  The RV Park is really just a lovely area under trees with no hookups but we gathered with the news of our day?s drives which included many pothole, topes, bumpy roads and village after village.  We crossed mountains as we head west across Mexico toward the Pacific Coast.  The terrain changed from lush jungle to much more dry agricultural climate.  Corn grows all around us.  Note how the humidity dropped.  It is still warm but feels more normal to me.  The day did have some mishaps.  Walter missed our turn and ran his fifth wheel under low branches damaging his roof.  But guys were on top with goop ?fixing? what they could ASAP.  Hex and Sandy arrived with the back of their tow car window smashed.  It is unknown exactly how it happened.  I heard Bob T. saying something about his transmission.  Ann was nursing her badly swollen arm from a bite sustained last night.  Many of us were itching from that lovely spot in  Villahermosa where I likely will never return.

As we waited for our dinner, we were delighted to be given a ride in an ox cart as a local farmer fulfilled our request for a ride.  Riding in an ox cart is much harder than it looks.  We observed a local family gathering tamarind berries from the ground.  They taste a bit like a sour dried apricot.  His family was gathering them for sale in Oaxaca, our destination tomorrow and gave me permission for photos.  Following our outdoor dinner, the owner?s family friends treated us to a fashion show.  He described the traditions of his village and what each dress means.  Then he had two on our caravan participate in a wedding ceremony. Mike and Eileen were good sports as we threw confetti at them and smashed clay pots on a rock to drive out evil.  This was after we filled their pots with pesos.  Women rule. We danced around them and congratulated their sportsmanship.  This little village looks like it has much to offer but alas we move on in the morning to Oaxaca.

Statistics:
Motorhome Miles Driven:  267
  Temperatures: High 97  Low 72  Humidity 65% 
      GPS Coordinates: N 16 22.04  W 95  14.57

Attachments

• Tehuantepec0001 (Small).JPG
    Tehuantepec0001 (Small).JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 81
  • Tehuantepec0008 (Small).JPG
    Tehuantepec0008 (Small).JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 78
  • Tehuantepec0027 (Small).JPG
    Tehuantepec0027 (Small).JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 85
  • Tehuantepec0037 (Small).JPG
    Tehuantepec0037 (Small).JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 81
  • Tehuantepec0047 (Small).JPG
    Tehuantepec0047 (Small).JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 89
  • Tehuantepec0052 (Small).JPG
    Tehuantepec0052 (Small).JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 78
  • Tehuantepec0060 (Small).JPG
    Tehuantepec0060 (Small).JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 79
  • Tehuantepec0063 (Small) (2).JPG
    Tehuantepec0063 (Small) (2).JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_1898 (Small).JPG
    IMG_1898 (Small).JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 80
  • Tehuantepec0078 (Small).JPG
    Tehuantepec0078 (Small).JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 76
Betty, thanks so much for this wonderful travelogue.  I feel like I've been a part of your wonderful journey.  Love the beautiful pictures also.

JoAnn

Feb 26, 2008
Oaxaca  (Pronounced Wa ha? ka)

We rolled out at dawn?s early light and Terry captured the sunrise to prove he can indeed get up early.  He hiked up to the sign that we were to have used, yesterday  as a landmark to identify this park.  It must have been painted a few years ago.  The trip looked so familiar to many mountains drives you might do in the western Sonoran desert.  We saw Cordone cactus, flowering trees and a much dryer climate.  We passed steep hillsides planted clear to the top with Agaves.  Mescal is the generic name for Tequila produced outside the State of Jallisco.  We stopped and sampled some of the best but as it was $40 a bottle both Shirley and I declined such a luxury!  Terry found a small taco shop along the road and we sampled their tacos.  I even got to pet the family rabbit.

The major news story of today is about a couple I have not mentioned much before this, but they continue to win my personal ?most inspiring couple Award.?  Les and Cathy Corney are from North Carolina.  When they pulled into Pharr, Texas, the first thing Les did was jump out of his rig and begin to wash it.  Cathy set up chairs for an evening outside their rig.  Fellow travelers and friends Jim and Sue, Barb and Bruce also known as # 4 and # 19 accompanied them.  Cathy is a breast cancer survivor.  Les had a stroke 10 years ago that left his right side completely paralyzed. He wears a foot brace to handle a dropped foot.  They travel with a tow car, Les? scooter and his cane.  Cathy had both knees replaced last April (only 10 months ago).  Despite Les? disability he gets right in there to participate any place his scooter will scoot.  Cathy does not climb pyramids but she takes pictures and takes great care of Les.  Never once have they complained about any of the caravan hardships, nor asked for special privileges.  Today in the most winding, climbing and narrow of roads  we heard Cathy?s voice on the CB, ?This is number 9 to number 2, my check engine light has come on.? One can identify immediately, concern in a stressed voice.  Hex is the tail gunner and is number 2.  His job is to look after mechanical problems and wait with those who have problems. He told her to find a safe place to pull over.  Within a few seconds, she said, ?The light went out.?  Walter, number 11, was following her and informed her that black smoke was coming out the tailpipe was this normal? ?  Cathy reported losing power.  By now we are out of CB range but praying all would be well with them.  Hex changed out a fuel filter for them. Sandy, Hex? sweetie, drove the tow car to lighten the load.  It seemed to help for a while so they hooked up again and then the problem occurred again.  We cheered when they limped into town and will follow up with engine trouble shooting tomorrow. How many couples do you know who would even venture out into the RV world with their issues let alone deep into Mexico?  They are doing fine and my hat?s off to them! 

Many of us stood around tonight at the RV park and discussed the conversations in our rigs on the twisty mountain roads.  The staff missed the park entrance and spent sometime finding themselves.  It is all good for a laugh AFTER IT IS OVER.  The weather is beautiful.  My laundry has been sent out (2 bags full) and life is good.

Statistics:
Motorhome Miles Driven:  154.9  Started at 300 feet above sea level and climbed to 6204 feet
  Temperatures: High 92  Low 72  Humidity 35% 
      GPS Coordinates: N 17 03.175    W 96  37.876

Attachments

• Tehuantepec30 (Small).JPG
    Tehuantepec30 (Small).JPG
    23.9 KB · Views: 71
  • Oaxaco0017 (Small).JPG
    Oaxaco0017 (Small).JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 77
  • Oaxaco0028 (Small).JPG
    Oaxaco0028 (Small).JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 74
  • Oaxaco0031 (Small).JPG
    Oaxaco0031 (Small).JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 79
  • Oaxaco0033 (Small).JPG
    Oaxaco0033 (Small).JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 78
  • Oaxaco0037 (Small).JPG
    Oaxaco0037 (Small).JPG
    79.6 KB · Views: 71
  • Oaxaco0016 (Small).JPG
    Oaxaco0016 (Small).JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 69
  • Oaxaco0043 (Small).JPG
    Oaxaco0043 (Small).JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 74
Betty,

Terry needs to smile more! :)

Les & Cathy certainly are a tribute to what an individual can do! My hat is off to them as well. I have found that RVers are more likely to overcome obstacles that "normal" people would find overcoming. Life is not always easy but we can't stop living it just because we have a "problem". They certainly sound like they deserve the honor to them upon which you have bestowed. I hope they will join the Framily so others can meet them.

Betty:

I am glad to see Terry is STILL unsuccessfully searching for bacteria in all that local food. ;D ;D ;D

Jeff Cousins said:
I am glad to see Terry is STILL unsuccessfully searching for bacteria in all that local food.
Jeff,

I am even participating in the cuisine of Mexico locals.  It is delicious!

Betty

Still well......

betty, we know you guy's must be having a super time.......... just wanted to know if you have a tom and carol weiss in your group. i know he went into your area. his daughter is my daughteri-in-law    have fun and  be safe...... ps we  are in yuma, but would like to make the trip you are on. will be reading your posts........  john and winnie

jdewellz said:
ps we  are in yuma, but would like to make the trip you are on. will be reading your posts

Hi John and Winnie, 
No we don't have a Tom nor Carol Weiss in our group.  There is an adventure caravan two weeks in front of us who have had  bad weather and some misfortunes.  Due to INTERNET connections our wagon masters were able to use the misfortune of the group ahead of us to make a better arrangement for our group. I hope that was not the group your friends were in.  We also live in Yuma.  We have not been there much but we have a home in the Ravines area on the Las Barrancoa Golf course.  Thank you for following our trip.  I'm finding  out where all the stuff I see in Algodones actually comes from.  I could show you the stuff .  Keep in touch.

Betty

Notes on SCUBA diving in Beleze.

Flying into Beleze City in the 80s and 90s was "interesting" with all the British military guarding the airport with camouflaged machine gun bunkers along the runways. I did one trip to a nearby Mayan ruin where the mosquitos were ferocious! On a subsequent trip I sent my sister and family and stayed at the hotel.

The diving from live-aboard dive boats is wonderful (and mostly bug free) along the barrier reef. The blue hole is a special site - 500 ft deep limestone cavern with a collapsed roof. I dove to 110 ft and circled stalactites. The only time we got mosquitos aboard was on a night dive a mile offshore. A cloud of the devils flew/got blown all the way to the boat. Such a rude shock.

Feb 27, 2008
Oaxaca  Day 2

We slept well last night as it was cool and awoke to temperatures in the high 40?s.  It felt good to put on warmer clothes as most of what we own is in the laundry anyway.  The humidity is normal for us and that fact put all of us in a better mood.  Eugene is our guide for the next 5 days.  His English is very good and he aims to please us.  There is a little restaurant next door to this RV Park and we can tell the guy at the table out front of our rig and he will call in our order and have it delivered to our rig.  Most of us want to get out of our rigs so we walk the short distance to the restaurant.  This is what Terry and I did last night for dinner. The ONE margarita I ordered was delicious but must have been made with smooth tasting Mescal because  I could not complete my journal last night after dinner! So I am up early this morning with your news.

The first thing this morning we boarded a bus to tour the ruins of Monte Alban.  They are similar to most other ruins except that they are perched atop a mountain, which had to be leveled off to make this large complex.  It?s estimated it took 300 years to level this site.  We visited a very extensive, lovely museum with artifacts and examples of burial crypts and carvings.  I ran into a school group of kids.  I learned they were 5th graders ,30 to a class and of course the boys were running ahead out of control.  The teacher was speaking to them in Spanish so I did not know what she was saying but the tone of a reprimand is similar in any language.  I got a few photos of the kids and then wanted their names so I have many autographs now.  I had my little notebook with me so I was able to take extensive notes.  I may not have time to complete this before the bus runs so I may have details in a part 2 if you don?t mind.
The biggest deal for me on these ruins is that it was finally cool enough for me to climb up one of the temples.  The view atop was spectacular of the valley below.  We are at 5125 feet and I did feel the altitude in the climb but I did fine and was proud of my self for accomplishing this.  It was very good quad exercise! We purchased homemade ice cream from the local vendor and headed back to RV Park for lunch on our own.  At 2:30 we were transported out to the Wool Weaving Villages where an excellent demonstration of the process was presented.  I now understand how much labor goes into weaving the rugs.  We learned how the various colors are produced, how the wool is grown, how the wool is carded by hand and spun into yarn.  We saw the design process.  Then we were shown the finished product. Eugene said those rugs made here at ?THE bug in a Rug? are the best quality and I concur.  I saw ?the One? I wanted immediately and Isaac the son of the Master weaver had just gotten it ?hot off the press? as he said.  It is not quite finished so they will bring it to my RV tomorrow where I can write out a personal check.  How?s that for service? News on Les and Cathy's coach is the problem is thought to be a fuel pump and they have ordered a new one.

Statistics:
Motorhome Miles Driven:  154.9  Started at 300 feet above sea level and climbed to 6204 feet
  Temperatures: High 74  Low 56  Humidity 73% 
      GPS Coordinates: N 17 03.175    W 96  37.876

Attachments

• Monte Alban05 (Small).JPG
    Monte Alban05 (Small).JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 83
  • Monte Alban11 (Small).JPG
    Monte Alban11 (Small).JPG
    42 KB · Views: 63
  • Monte Alban14 (Small).JPG
    Monte Alban14 (Small).JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 72
  • Monte Alban19 (Small).JPG
    Monte Alban19 (Small).JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 75
  • Monte Alban20 (Small).JPG
    Monte Alban20 (Small).JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 70
  • Oaxaco18 (Small).JPG
    Oaxaco18 (Small).JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 65
  • Oaxaco21 (Small).JPG
    Oaxaco21 (Small).JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 73
  • Oaxaco22 (Small).JPG
    Oaxaco22 (Small).JPG
    91.7 KB · Views: 70
I may not have time to complete this before the bus runs so I may have details in a part 2 if you don?t mind.

Dear, dear Betty, of course we don't mind!  We're happy to get any tidbits in any order you care to send them.  And they're all appreciated!  Loving it all!

ArdraF

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom