Yucatan/Mexico 08 with Brewers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
wendycoke said:
Hope that's not your motorhome missing the rear view mirror.....ouch.

Wendy,
Thankfully it is not our missing mirror but several times today during the tollbooths or along the street with street light posts I had to remind the driver we were but 2 inches away from the obstacle.  My reminders are in the form of a shreak!!

Betty

Sorry about the mirror.  Hope it's fixable.

We used to fix coconuts like this:  Knock a hole in the end with a Phillips screwdriver.  Drain the milk, someone can drink it.  Fill the coconut with rum, let soak overnight.  Drain the rum, someone can drink it too.  Open the coconut and enjoy the rum soaked meat.

Betty:

Last year on the Baja Pat had us pull our mirrors in until we could barely see behind our coaches to avoid crunching them. Did he forget this year?

Jeff Cousins said:
Last year on the Baja Pat had us pull our mirrors in until we could barely see behind our coaches to avoid crunching them. Did he forget this year?

Nope,
Hex, the tail gunner visited each rig to do the mirror adjustment so all of our mirrors have been tucked  in.  Bill was driving very slowly along the "curb" and hit a tree.  The Mexicans in campground today took his mirror, were gone for an hour and came back with the repair job done.  Cost 200 pesos, about $20 bucks.

No problemo

Betty

February 2, 2008

Isla Aguada, 1100 miles into our trip.

Today was a free but very busy day.  Many in our group decided to take the taxi tour of town.  Motorcycles pulled our ?chariots? through this little village.  We saw the Pharmacia, (Terry bought bug anti itch cream) a grocery store, a butcher shop and many, many homes of differing amenities.  We toured along the bay and stopped at a shell shop where I bought a necklace made of local shells. This is a fishing village where fishermen go out early in the morning and the catch of the day seems to be conch shells.

Those in our group did a variety of activities today.  We had folks  cleaning  rigs, doing laundry, swimming in the ocean, and reading.  It is good to have a free day.
I personally soaked in the ocean to see if my fire ant/ mosquito bites would subside with the salt water.  I was ok until a 4 year old Australian tourist told me there were eels in the water and then I was outta there. We enjoyed a cook out of Texas beef brisket dinner tonight complete with chocolate cake and red beans. Owen and Paula provided the Texas  music. Following the dinner some adventuresome souls ventured down to the local street for a Mardi gras parade.  My bug bites kept me inside composing this log.  We leave at 6:30am ohhhhhhhhhhhh.  But it is a short day.

Statistics:

Motorhome Miles Driven:  0
Temperatures:  High 87  low 74  Humidity 89

Attachments

• IMG_0816 (Small) (2).JPG
    IMG_0816 (Small) (2).JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_0822 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0822 (Small).JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_0827 (Small) (2).JPG
    IMG_0827 (Small) (2).JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_0831 (Small) (2).JPG
    IMG_0831 (Small) (2).JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_0845 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0845 (Small).JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0849 (Small) (2).JPG
    IMG_0849 (Small) (2).JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_0850 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0850 (Small).JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_0852 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0852 (Small).JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_0863 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0863 (Small).JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 110
I am so jealous of your shorts and sandals. But not your 6:30 am departure time (that means getting up at what??). I need to find a caravan with folks that leave at 10 am and stop by 2 pm.

Wendy
snowy Colorado

wendycoke said:
I am so jealous of your shorts and sandals. But not your 6:30 am departure time (that means getting up at what??). I need to find a caravan with folks that leave at 10 am and stop by 2 pm.

Wendy
snowy Colorado

Wendy:

You would have enjoyed traveling with us last year. We (3 coaches) would give the caravan 1-2 hours head start and then travel at highway speeds to catch up by mid-late afternoon. Only were late one day on rough roads.

wendycoke said:

Wendy,
Terry says I exaggerate things.  The first guy to dump in morning  will leave at 6:30 then we fall into order.  Since we will be the last ones out we may leave at 7:30 so we won't get up until 6:30 or so.

Betty

Betty Brewer said:
Wendy,
Terry says I exaggerate things.  The first guy to dump in morning  will leave at 6:30 then we fall into order.  Since we will be the last ones out we may leave at 7:30 so we won't get up until 6:30 or so.

Betty

Obviously too early for many of us.  I like Wendy's schedule better since it is darn clpse to what we normally do. :)

Jeff

>We (3 coaches) would give the caravan 1-2 hours head start and then travel at highway speeds to catch up<<

That wouldn't happen on this trip....With the exception of one day where we actually hit 60 mph, the roads are 2 lane pot-holed & run through numerous small villages with lots of topes. We have already had 2 coaches lost on this trip.

Our daily average speeds are barely over 26 mph.  The reason for the early departure tomorrow is too reach the hotel in plenty of time for The Super-bowl.

Terry:

It sounds like you have left the tourist routes of Mexico behind!

Betty,  I just had a thought.  I'm wondering if a 1/2 dose of benedryll (spelling) would help with the ant bites.  One of our sons had trouble with insect bites and benedryll helped him quite a bit.  The 1/2 dose won't make you as sleepy.  Also an old wives trick is to make a paste of corn starch and water then smear it on the bites.  If you decide to use this remedy....take pictures... ;D

Wendy....I'll travel with you anytime.  I LOVE your choice of schedule!!

Marsha~

The corn starch thing does work.  The very best thing we have found for bites and stings is Tea Tree Oil.  Probably can't find it down there though.

Ron,  she might be able to find Tea Tree down there.  That works pretty well too.

Betty, I forgot another product that is really really good.  It's "Sting Eze".  It's in a little yellow squeeze bottle container.  We carried that with us on horse back packing trips.  It really WORKS!  Like Ron, I'm not sure you will be able to find it down there.

Marsha~

Betty - Benedryl is one of the things we always keep on hand for bites...recommended in our EMT training especially for spider bites.

Sounds like we need to put together a slow moving caravan to Mexico. Of course, at our slow speeds, we'd need the entire winter to do Terry & Betty's 42-day trip.

As for you guys not having to start out until 7:30 am, that's still way before Mike's out-of-bed hour, mine too. Although for a special occasion/trip I guess we could haul ourselves out of the sack.

Keep the reports and pics coming. We love traveling vicariously when we can't travel in actual fact.

Wendy
STILL snowing in Cortez

February 3, 2008
Campeche (Club Nautico)

Today was the most beautiful of all our drives after an eventful start.  Hex , our tail gunner, thumps tires early in morning to make sure all are safe and discovered a bulge on Allen?s fifth wheel tire.  Terry assisted by crawling under the fifth wheel and supplying a socket to retrieve the spare tire.  So the question is, how many new clean shirts does it take to change a tire?  Answer= 2.  By the way this tire was 5 years old.

Once under way the first 100 yards of travel resulted in a motorcycle taxi blocking the road and requiring some tricky maneuvers by rigs to round the glorietas on the wrong side of the road, or go up over the curb, or turn right onto a street designed for pedestrians only.  Each of these options was taken by some of the rigs. From then it was an easy drive with but one main turn of the day.  (Two in our group managed to miss that only turn of the day) Now we all laugh about our course corrections!

If you picture the Gulf of Mexico as a giant letter C , we were at the bottom of the C today and traveled North.  We passed through two military checkpoints and then traveled on a very good road for miles with the turquoise waters of the gulf to our left.  White sandy beaches, palm trees and miles of uninhabited shores were those of National Geographic beauty.  We watched big pelicans dive for their meals in the seas. We traveled through a few little picturesque towns that advertised shrimp cocktails but we had no good place to pull over and stop in a 40-foot motor home.  We passed through only one toll booth today.  Can you figure out the amount we were to pay for a 40 foot single axle motorhome with NO toad?

When we arrived at our destination, Club Nautico,  we found a very manicured park with the best of  both worlds, a beautiful pool and the beach.  I ordered my first Pina colada of the trip as they did not serve any margaritas.  Go figure? it is Mexico.  Terry ordered a huge shrimp cocktail poolside.  We swam, we bathed in the sun and later we had a Superbowl Party in the recreation room.  The game was on a very small TV and only in Spanish so after dinner was served Terry and I adjourned to the comfort of our motorhome, 37 inch TV and it was in English.  We are able to get a few Direct TV stations.

Statistics:
Motorhome Miles Driven:  107
Temperatures:    High 90    Low  73  Humidity  71%
GPS Coordinates: N 19  46.41 W 90 38.51

Attachments

• P1020485 (Small).JPG
    P1020485 (Small).JPG
    45 KB · Views: 100
  • Campeche 2-3-080014 (Small) (Small).JPG
    Campeche 2-3-080014 (Small) (Small).JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 92
  • P1020484 (Small).JPG
    P1020484 (Small).JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 90
  • Campeche 2-3-080018 (Small).JPG
    Campeche 2-3-080018 (Small).JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 99
  • Campeche 2-3-080025 (Small).JPG
    Campeche 2-3-080025 (Small).JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 114
  • Campeche 2-3-080035 (Small).JPG
    Campeche 2-3-080035 (Small).JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 94
Thanks again Betty.  Quite a view over the pool and Gulf.  Hope they same rig doesn't have another tire go bad.  But that bubble wasn't popped yet.

Hello, Moreau & Carriere`s & friends.. hope this post - few extra pix for you to enjoy.

Attachments

• CoochGoingDownSlide.jpg
    CoochGoingDownSlide.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 91
  • CoochDoingBillyWave.jpg
    CoochDoingBillyWave.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 86
  • CoochNannVisitingRuins.JPG
    CoochNannVisitingRuins.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 81
  • CoochWithBoysAfterWaterSlide.jpg
    CoochWithBoysAfterWaterSlide.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 98
  • CoochWithBoysAfterWaterSlide2,jpg.JPG
    CoochWithBoysAfterWaterSlide2,jpg.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 88
  • CoochWithCareBear.jpg
    CoochWithCareBear.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 88
  • PatAliceWagonMasters.JPG
    PatAliceWagonMasters.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 86
Hi Moreau and thanks for the pictures. Looks like everyone is having way too much fun.

Back
Top Bottom