EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Yucatan/Mexico 08 with Brewers  (Read 122045 times)

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
Yucatan/Mexico 08 with Brewers
« on: January 21, 2008, 06:04:01 PM »
Hello to all Forum Friends,

I just wanted to let you know that our Adventure Caravan officially begins  tomorrow, January 22, 2008.  We have met all of our  fellow travelers, 41  great friendly and  adventurous people.
According to our roster, we have 21 rigs total, 18 motorhomes, 1 trailer and 2 fifth Wheels and 14 tow cars. Almost all  participants have been on at least one caravan and the veterans have been on 5 caravans. 
To let you know the tone of the group, we've  already had several happy hours, lots of laughs  and group meals together and the trip has not yet even begun.  We are in Pharr, Texas (way down on the south tip of Texas)

Our  trip log book says Yucatan & Caribbean Sea and it will be 46 Days ending on March 7, 2008.  It is my goal to post something daily and share a few photos. 
To be continued....

Betty

« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 06:31:47 PM by Betty Brewer »
Betty Brewer

see where we are

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
Re: Yucatan/Mexico 08 with Brewers
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 06:09:02 PM »
Have a great Trip.  Looking forward to your travel reports and photos.
Ron & Sam-home is where we park it. Currently located   HERE

Tom and Margi

• ---
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 06:19:44 PM »
Whoopee!  :D  I love your trip journals and can hardly wait to read the latest.  Since we're not travelling as much as in previous years, your daily efforts are even more appreciated. 

Margi

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 06:22:07 PM »
Betty,

I'm looking forward to your reports and photos too.
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 06:31:47 PM »
Hi Betty,

Really great to talk with you and Terry yesterday. Sure glad we called before you crossed the border! Be sure to take lots of photos, as you always do. If you need multiple copies of your next epic CD just let me know. ;D
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2000 American Dream 40' DP
2012 GMC Terrain
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50T Motorcycle
http://photo.net/photos/jimdick

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 08:32:05 PM »
I was hoping you'd be posting a travelogue for this trip. I know you'll have a great time and I look forward to seeing the Yucatan through your words and pictures.

But you're missing a great Quartzsite !!

Wendy
Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
~We can't be lost because we don't care where we're going~
Here's where we are http://map.datastormusers.com/user2.cfm?user=2276
2015 Allegro Ooen Road
1973 Sunshine Yellow VW Bug

Jeff

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008, 09:26:26 PM »
Betty:

Have a great trip!

Lorna

• ---
    • Our itinerary
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2008, 12:00:29 AM »
Looking forward to your travelogue and have a wonderful time.
Lorna
Better to drive thy closet than pack thy suitcase
Want to know where we are?
http://whereis.nedreiter.com
Follow our trip of the USA at http://blog.usabyrv.us

Bob Maxwell

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Smile, and the world smiles with you . . .
    • The American Southwest
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2008, 02:02:28 PM »
We're looking forward to the journey. Some day we might spend some time helping the Anglicans in Belize and have wondered if driving is an option. . .
Adiós. . .

Bob †
and wife Betty Font 

. . . still ridin' for the brand.

1994 Suncruiser 34RQ, Cummins 5.9L/230 Allison 3060
'08 Kia Spectra5,
FMCA SKP

Holbrook AZ, west of the Petrified Forrest NP on I-40

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2008, 09:21:24 PM »
January 22. 2008

We had our Trip Orientation meeting this afternoon.  We got the "rules of the road” and learned all about those long time stories that are meant to scare us away from our adventure. Only 3 couples have never yet been to Mexico so we mostly know what we are in for.  We leave at 7:30 am and will travel 218 miles on our first travel day. We learned, from Pat and Alice our Wagon Masters, about the Goofy award and the Care bear and will watch other participants for their worthiness of our "praise." 

Terry and I went to Olive Garden for dinner and made our last cell phone calls for 2 months.  We have put our Verizon phone on  "suspend" until we return. We hope you enjoy our travels.

Betty       
Betty Brewer

see where we are

Jeff

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2008, 10:35:28 PM »
Betty:

I see Pat and Alice are approaching this trip with their usual enthusiasm. ;D ;D

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2008, 10:39:49 PM »
Thanks for the photos Betty.  Looking forward to your next report.  Have fun.

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2008, 08:27:37 PM »
January 23, 2008

Pharr,  Texas, USA  to CD Victoria, Mexico

We departed promptly at 7:30 am and traveled over the Rio Grand River into Reynosa, Mexico with no problems.  We are getting used to the 21 of us on the CB radio making announcements and learned along the way that someone had a bolt in their tire.  (Hex the tail gunner got him to a tire shop along the road right away)  someone else had to stop to fix an awning thing. Someone else had to stop for a bladder break.  There are no secrets on the road in a caravan.

Instantly as we crossed the border we realized we were in a foreign country.  The blight of the planet and most especially in border towns is the PLASTIC GROCERY BAG.  Mexico has not yet embraced the notion of Adopting Highways and the roadways are littered with those bags hanging in bushes and trees.  Note to self: lets do away with those bags.  One huge advantage to traveling with a caravan is that the military checkpoints ignore us.  They do not want to tie up traffic questioning each rig so we were waved, with smiles, through each of 3-armed military checkpoints today.

As we traveled through rolling hills on this very foggy and cool morning, livestock roam freely as do dogs and sheep. The roads were good and even though they were only 2 lanes in most places the shoulders are wide enough that 3 big rigs can pass in the road as we experienced as all the 18 wheelers passed us trying to get “out of our caravan.” 

When we fueled up we learned some Spanish.  The model of our Country Coach is a Magna and the name is painted right beside the fuel tank..  This is a Spanish word for a grade of  gasoline, so the filling station attendants were very hesitant to put diesel in our rig when it clearly states Magna. We figured it out and fueled up with our desired diesel.  We put in 173.10 liters and it cost 1030 Pesos.  We’re not sure yet about the conversions but we think this was 45.7 gallons.  We exchanged dollars yesterday for pesos at a rate of 10.80 and have 27,000 Pesos to start the trip. It all looks like monopoly money but I’m told if we just subtract a 0 from the peso amount it will be roughly the equivalent of the American dollar.  I need to be armed with this information for my shopping ventures. 

At 2:30 this afternoon we made it into a lovely camp ground (the only one in town) .  It took a while for Terry to position our rig among and between the trees but we finally got a signal and can send this post to you.  Rosa, the owner of the campground came out and gave our group a few Spanish lessons and some safety hints.  We are to store our credit cards in our safe. No need to carry a wallet full of cards that will not be used here.   We are to carry copies of our driver’s license and NEVER give our official paperwork to anyone.  Rosa is a former teacher and gave us some tips to shop.  Carry a tablet and ask “Cuanto”  and have a vendor write down the price.  She showed us how to tell the vendor we are cheap and want a better price.  She told us “donde” would get us all through Mexico as it is the word to ask… where?  I am so impressed with her generous offer of safety and language tips.  Her hospitality set a delightful tone at our first night margarita party.  We retired early as we have another short travel day tomorrow to Tampico.  The photos are of our group on the 30 minute lunch break at a PEMEX station and of Rosa and Pat our Wagon master.

Statistics: Motorhome Miles Driven:  221
Temperatures:    High 83    Low 53
GPS Coordinates: N 23degrees44.617  W 99 degrees 08.146
Betty Brewer

see where we are

Jeff

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2008, 08:53:48 PM »
Betty:

We are enjoying our winter resting but I am not sure I am going to be able to read your posts every day without regretting passing on the trip.

Just seeing your photos today reminds me how much fun we had last year. ::) ::)

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2008, 09:00:46 PM »
Betty & Terry,

Enjoyed report and photos.  Sounds like you are on your way to another great adventure. 

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2008, 10:10:28 PM »
Betty and Terry,

Between getting ourselves to Quartzsite and the Forum being down for a while we didn't get a chance to wish you a bon voyage to the Yucatan.  Have a WONDERFUL and safe trip!

Already enjoying your reports.

Ardra and Jerry too
ArdraF
:D :D

Tom and Margi

• ---
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2008, 10:18:22 PM »
Tom:

Is there a way that I can print out each daily journal message Betty contributes to the forum?  I tried highlighting just this current posting from Betty and tried to print it for Tom to read, but it printed out the entire contents of the thread -- repeating what I printed for him yesterday.  I'm sure this is possibel; what am I overlooking?

Margi

Tom and Margi

• ---
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2008, 10:21:56 PM »
possibel

Spell checker?  Who needs a spell checker?   :D

Margi

Alaskansnowbirds

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2008, 10:40:12 PM »
Tom:

Is there a way that I can print out each daily journal message Betty contributes to the forum?  I tried highlighting just this current posting from Betty and tried to print it for Tom to read, but it printed out the entire contents of the thread -- repeating what I printed for him yesterday.  I'm sure this is possibel; what am I overlooking?

Margi

Margi,

After you highlight the text you want to print. When you clicked on the Print button and the printer window opened, in the print range area did you select "SELECTION"? ALL is the default and will print what you got.
Don & Peg
Alaska/Arizona
Currently located here.
Weather at Camp Verde, AZ.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2008, 11:09:48 PM »
Margi,

In addition to Don's suggestion, you can highlight the text of the day's message, right-click, copy, then open a text editor/viewer (or MS Word) and right-click, paste.
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

Tom and Margi

• ---
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2008, 11:18:54 PM »
Margi,

After you highlight the text you want to print. When you clicked on the Print button and the printer window opened, in the print range area did you select "SELECTION"? ALL is the default and will print what you got.

BINGO!!!  Thanks, Don.   Hi to Peg! :D

Margi

Tom and Margi

• ---
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2008, 11:23:04 PM »
Thanks for the alternative method, Tom.  Don's suggestion worked really well.  I love this forum .. if one fix doesn't work, there's always an another fix  to try.  :D

Margi

Dave R

• ---
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2008, 07:34:54 AM »
Sorry we missed you while you were in Pharr. We are staying at Texas Trails in Pharr, how ever we just returned from a trip to Real de Catorce
in the central eastern Sierra Madre mountains.  Have a safe trip and give us a call if and when you return. The Baginskis' are here also.

Dave
Dave & Jeanette  NC
2009 Hitchhiker Fifth wheel Triple slide
2013 Chev Duramax

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2008, 05:55:38 PM »
January 24, 2008

CD Victoria to Tempico (or close)

Terry and I loved the 9 am departure time, as we are not early birds.  Every one was ready to go and a HUGE advantage of a caravan is that Hex the tail gunner walked out into traffic today to stop them so that we could get out of the RV Park on to a busy street, two or three rigs at time to get under way.  We followed the “book” word for word and tope by tope. Tope is the Mexican word for speed bump.  I mean to tell you they slow traffic, without police, with these bumps in the road. 

We traveled through more rolling hill country with farms and scrub brush trees along the way and a few small towns.  Again the caravan got through a military checkpoints without stopping.  Those young guys in uniform are all armed and still smile at us.

We arrived at our destination; Tempico, Country Express Hotel Parking LOT   just after noon but did not venture out into town as it was not advised. WE would have gone swimming in the beautiful pool, but the wind was blowing and we were  shy.   Instead most of the group  played games as a group and had yet another happy hour.  I was one of the hostess’ for Happy hour.  Did I tell you served SPAM (a Terry favorite)

Tonight I gave the RVForum information for friends and family to join in my travel log.  I hope you enjoy.  I also honored, our late departed Friend Shayne tonight with a photo on the rvforum . RIP.

Most of the group had dinner at the very nice HOTEL tonight and I may attest that the marguerites were wonderful!  Earlier in the evening the owner of the hotel cam out and gave each rig a souvenir of Mexico. 
We leave early (6:45 am so I am off to bed tonight)
Statistics:
Motorhome Miles Driven:  117
Temperatures:    High 73    Low  60
GPS Coordinates: N 22 N 30.966 W 98 07.199
Betty Brewer

see where we are

Jeff

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2008, 07:27:58 PM »
Betty:

Please say hello to Hex and Sandy for us and tell Hex people who stand in the road get run over. ;D ;D

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2008, 08:43:22 PM »
January 25, 2008

Tempico  to Costa Esmeralda

The Adventure Caravan brochure advertising this Yucatan Adventure noted that this trip is not for the faint at heart and today proved that to be so.  What an adventure. We awoke at o’ dark thirty and departed by the dawn’s early light. 7am.   While 237 miles is a normal driving day for us, I shall never ever again complain about any US road as we experienced the bumpiest roads with potholes the size of small cars. Terry thought some of the  potholes looked like bomb craters.   We detoured around two auto accidents with our trip leader stopping the oncoming truck traffic so we could sneak by over rows and rows of  TOPES. Each little village has a dozen or more topes that slow us down to a stop to inch over.  One in the caravan was not watching the book carefully enough and took a wrong turn. Someone else followed them down the wrong path. We waited until the group found itself again.   Gosh I’m glad that was not I. As we headed toward the coast, the scenery transitioned from dry grasses and yucca to a more jungle environment with Palm trees and tropical plants.  The grasses are green and the humidity is high. We passed lots of Mexican farms with corn growing and then orchard after orchard of oranges. We saw donkeys, dogs and ducks and pigs in a pasture.  We saw goats in gullies and a possum nearly became a road kill for us.  The PEMEX station we chose for fuel, while the rest of the group stopped for lunch, was closed so we headed on up the road on our own and waited for the caravan to catch up. We crossed through 5 tollbooths today and think we spent about 20 us bucks on them.  I’ve still must learn to convert the pesos in my head. The RV Park we are in tonight is steps from the ocean but we got in just before dark so have not yet explored. The RV park is washing rigs tomorrow; $25 for both a car and motorhome.  I forgot to tell you yesterday that Terry won the Wheel roulette.  Each person who chooses can put in a dollar and when we stop the next day, the number of the rig (which is painted on tailgunners tire) that ends up on the ground wins the pot.   We won $16 and promptly spent all of it and more going out to dinner and killer margaritas.  Tomorrow will be a tourist day and we are glad not to have another driving day in front of us.  We need to rest.

Statistics:
Motorhome Miles Driven:  237     Driving average speed 28.1
 It took 8 hours and 25 minutes.
Temperatures:    High 74    Low  58
GPS Coordinates: N 201692.7  N 30.966 W 9649.693
Betty Brewer

see where we are

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2008, 09:40:49 PM »
Hi Betty,

Love the ability to see where you are with the Datastorm location!
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2000 American Dream 40' DP
2012 GMC Terrain
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50T Motorcycle
http://photo.net/photos/jimdick

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2008, 11:45:18 PM »
Thanks again for the report and photos.

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2008, 08:22:36 PM »
January 26, 2008

Costa Esmeralda

Today was a tourist day as opposed to a driving day.  Our luxury tour bus departed at 9 am and we were happy to have someone else do the driving so both drivers and navigators could enjoy the scenery.  We drove 1.5 hours out to the El Tajin Ruins and Museum, while our tour guide gave us a verbal description of the area and it’s history.  The Mexican history is rich in culture, exploration and a variety of races.  Our guide told us that on tours it is a guideline to never discuss religion nor politics yet it is nearly impossible to discuss the history of Mexico without encroaching each topic as it was the Spanish Catholic Kings   who once ordered exploration of the area.  Cortez was given “credit” for paving the way for exploration of area. Again I wish that I paid more attention in my world history classes!

We learned today about an ancient Indian civilization dating back to the 1100’s.  The Tajin  Ruins and Museum demonstrate the rich  culture  found semi  recently buried in the Mexican Jungle.  We learned from a very knowledgeable and educated guide of Tajin heritage about the archeologist’s interpretation of the long lost culture.  This culture practiced human sacrifice, believing that the blood of a fallen football player would yield a bountiful crop on the next years harvest.     I’m taking all of this in verbally from a guide with a heavy accent as when I went to purchase the book on the area it was written only in Spanish so it was of no value to me.  We walked the ancient village and climbed up on the hillsides to envision what it might have been like those many years ago.  Questions remain… what happened to those people, why did their culture die out…What could happen to us one day?

At the conclusion of our walk of the grounds the Papantia Flyers treated us with a demonstration.  They defy vertigo by climbing a very large pole and hanging upside down roped by ankles and fall to the ground while a fellow native beats drums and a flute plays,   all I can think of is how afraid I am for these guys lives. There are no guide wires, safety straps etc. 

After a delightful gratis mole lunch, a surprise courtesy of Adventure Caravans (due to the fact that most of us were over 60 and got in free to the museum) we shopped with the local vendors.  I spotted a woman who was hand embroidering the blouses she was selling.  She gave me an offer I could not refuse and I now own an embroidered blouse in a” muy grande” size.  Terry had roasted corn on a stick as did other members of the group.

When we got back to the RV park our cars and rigs were washed ( just in time for a rain tomorrow) and Terry had a part repaired  on the motorhome.  The cost of his repair was $2.95 US.    Can you believe it?  For sure Terry paid more than that just to be fair. A trip briefing was held with notes on how to follow along so that we don’t get lost if we get separated from the group.  We depart at 8:30 am for Vera Cruz.

Statistics:
Motorhome Miles Driven:  0
Temperatures:    High 66    Low  60       .02 inch of rain
GPS Coordinates: N 220 16.927  W 98 49.693
Betty Brewer

see where we are

Lorna

• ---
    • Our itinerary
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2008, 09:35:26 PM »
Betty

Thanks for the posts everyday, very enjoyable reading and the only way that I will see that part of Mexico.  You are right about the Papantia Flyers.  I saw them in Mexico City when I was visiting my niece some years ago.
Lorna
Better to drive thy closet than pack thy suitcase
Want to know where we are?
http://whereis.nedreiter.com
Follow our trip of the USA at http://blog.usabyrv.us

Hosted by Over The Network