EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Yucatan/Mexico 08 with Brewers  (Read 121173 times)

Farmer

• ---
Re: Yucatan/Mexico 08 with Brewers
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2008, 11:16:47 PM »
To Fern & Nan
Good to hear from you and please to hear you are enjoying the trip.
Brings back many good memories.
Keep us posted.
Bon Voyage
Sharon & Bill
'02 Fleetwood Elkhorn 8.5 ft
'00 F350 CC Dually 4x4

Carl L

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2008, 12:15:23 AM »
January 23, 2008

When we fueled up we learned some Spanish.  The model of our Country Coach is a Magna and the name is painted right beside the fuel tank..  This is a Spanish word for a grade of  gasoline, so the filling station attendants were very hesitant to put diesel in our rig when it clearly states Magna. We figured it out and fueled up with our desired diesel.  We put in 173.10 liters and it cost 1030 Pesos.  We’re not sure yet about the conversions but we think this was 45.7 gallons.  We exchanged dollars yesterday for pesos at a rate of 10.80 and have 27,000 Pesos to start the trip. It all looks like monopoly money but I’m told if we just subtract a 0 from the peso amount it will be roughly the equivalent of the American dollar.  I need to be armed with this information for my shopping ventures. 

For general information, that diesel was sold for $US 2.25/gallon.   Not bad!
Carl L/LA   [Forum Staff]  KI6SEZ

Prowler 23LV TT pulled by a '95 Ford Bronco

Jeff

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2008, 11:26:22 AM »
For general information, that diesel was sold for $US 2.25/gallon.   Not bad!

Carl:

Inflation! Last year it was a $1.92.

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2008, 02:14:16 PM »
Thanks again for the report and neat photos.  Sam & Are enjoying your reports.
Ron & Sam-home is where we park it. Currently located   HERE

Carl L

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2008, 04:32:09 PM »
Carl:

Inflation! Last year it was a $1.92.

No wonder the Mexican army is getting jumpy.   ;D
Carl L/LA   [Forum Staff]  KI6SEZ

Prowler 23LV TT pulled by a '95 Ford Bronco

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2008, 08:58:43 PM »
January 27, 2008

Costa Esmeralda to Vera Cruz, Vera Cruz

Our leisurely Sunday drive with an 8:30 departure time produced some new sights today.  We saw more of the same little villages along the way more colorful and in my opinion neater than those before or it could have been that the sun came out and everything looks better on a sunny day. We continued to see a variety of cattle grazing in the field, some Brahma looking types with long ears that touch the ground as they graze.  Egrets nest in circles around the cattle as they mutually live in the tropical grasses. We passed fields of banana trees and noted blue plastic bags’ surrounding the banana bunches. We learned the sacks are placed there to hasten the ripening and that the color of the bag denotes when it will be time to harvest that bunch.  We saw fields of sugar cane and harvesting being done by hand.  They produce a lot of sugar cane and over load their truck in the transport.   Vera Cruz is the city we are in and we are still in the state of Vera Cruz too.  The 3 main exports of Vera Cruz are Coffee, honey and oil.

We experienced much better roads today and even got up to 60 mph only to be slowed again by several detours around road construction sites.  As the day warmed the beautiful ocean appeared on our left.  The guide yesterday told us how hard the moist salt ocean air is on the homes.  Iron rusts, cars rust, homes mold and yet to us it was a beauty to see..  We pulled off the road to our RV Park around 2 pm and traveled on a very sandy road to the park.  Much to our delight we are parked facing straight into the ocean with an ocean view from all front and side windows.  Now we have no power, water or sewer but were reminded by others in the group who have no view and do have  hook ups that their power is not much better than nothing and no one can drink this water. 

Our Welcome to Mexico dinner tonight was held tonight.  My coconut shrimp was delicious.  Terry’s steak was delicious and the margaritas were the best.  I won the Care Bear animal award tonight for helping to save Fern and Annette’s marriage.  It seems she MUST have Internet to keep in touch and I helped them join the RV Forum and their family has joined too.  Welcome to Mexico! Welcome any other friends and family of this Adventure Caravan.  Tomorrow is a free day!

Statistics:
Motorhome Miles Driven:  123
Temperatures:    High  80    Low  63
GPS Coordinates: N 19.05531    W 96.02309
Betty Brewer

see where we are

bjfrancis

« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2008, 09:07:03 PM »
Betty and Terry,
   We're ready for your Mexican travelogue!
Have a great trip!!
   Brian and Pam

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2008, 04:28:45 PM »
Betty, very interesting so far.  Thanks for the time and effort!

ArdraF
ArdraF
:D :D

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2008, 09:08:29 PM »
January 28, 2008

Veracruz, Free Day

We did not move our vehicles today.  We held a beach clean up at 9 am and most of the group, able to walk the beach, came prepared with rubber gloves and plastic trash bags to clean up our beach.  We worked for 55 minutes and bagged over 10 big bags of trash. Jack arrived with a chair as he thought he was going to be the chairman of the group and supervise our work.  We all want to recycle more for our planet and to stop making plastic items.  John L.  bagged the most ( 4 huge bags)  and earned the care Bear award tonight for doing so. Our beachfront value is greater today for making a difference on our planet. Pictures show our beach front view. 

Many made a Wal-Mart or Costco run and some of us just relaxed on the beach today, as we had no agenda in sight.
Chicken Award went tonight to Owen who is traveling with 2 women and all are having a good time!  Tonight we got to use the facilities at this RV Park.  The water slide proved good fun and entertainment for all.  What bunch of wet heads.  The evening was topped off with Mexican hot dogs which are hot dogs roasted over our own fire and then wrapped in tortillas. Please note the utensil Bill brought which was purchased at  the Yuma flea market and is called a rake.   Watermelon and cherry cobbler was dessert.  We are happy campers who will tour Veracruz at 8:15 am.

Statistics:
Motorhome Miles Driven:  0
Temperatures:    High 83    Low  68   Humidity  91%
GPS Coordinates: N 22 N 30.966 W 98 07.199
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 09:13:04 PM by Betty Brewer »
Betty Brewer

see where we are

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2008, 10:06:59 PM »
January 29, 2008

Veracruz, Tourist Day

The bus picked us up at 8:30 and took us to
The Grand Café  “The In” place for coffee and or breakfast this morning in downtown Veracruz.  I had a lechero, which is like a latte, and Terry ordered scrambled eggs.   The restaurant is the original built in 1908 and is still going strong. The coffee making equipment is pretty impressive.  We wandered around the streets looking at shops and were then taken by bus to the original Fort built in the late 1500’s ( and took 300 years to construct) It is built right into the gulf of Mexico on a base produced out of coral and most of the labor was done by Indians  under the  direction of the Spaniards.  It’s late tonight and all the facts are running through my head so history buffs might want to question any thing I recall from today.  I was suffering all day from the big sunburn I got while beaching it yesterday.  Oh the price of not using any sun block!
 From the Fort we traveled to a very old and quaint town of  La Antigua for a yummy garlic shrimp lunch.  We toured the oldest church in Veracruz and the home thought to be that of Cortez. We saw a  big Ceiba  tree and posed under it.  It was pretty hot and very humid today and many were wilting.  We came back to the RV park for an hour break and then returned by bus to Boca Del Rio for a surprise treat.  The mayor and Secretary of Tourism  greeted us and  provided front row seats for a dancing light/water  show to welcome us to Mexico.  Mini tacos were provided for dinner. As we walked the town on this balmy evening, local dancers and musicians treated us to their talents and we tasted peanut butter liquor made locally with a 95% alcohol.  Many purchased bottles of it but I saved myself from the extra calories and did not make a purchase. By now it is well after dark and we have a 300-mile drive in front of us tomorrow to Villahermosa but they’ve promised better roads than before. 

Statistics:
Temperatures:    High 85    Low  68   Humidity  95%
GPS Coordinates: N 22 N 30.966 W 98 07.199
Betty Brewer

see where we are

Tom and Margi

• ---
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2008, 10:28:55 PM »
We're enjoying your travels.  Thanks for your excellent job of reporting, Betty.  :D

I especially liked the picture of you in the doorway.  When we viewed it, I said to Tom, "Terry just loves to take pictures of Betty, as he should."  (Note to Terry:  if someone else took that picture .... WORRY! ... she just looks so danged cute!)  :D 

More pictures!  :D

Margi

JerArdra

• ---
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2008, 08:44:59 AM »
Betty,

As usual you're doing a GREAT job of presenting and describing your trip...thanks.  I laughed when you said the Fort took 300 years to build.  As I remember the Copper Canyon train tracks took over 100 years to complete.  It seems that things in Mexico happen slowly.

JerryF
JerryF  ;D  ;D

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2008, 03:37:15 PM »
We're enjoying your travels.  Thanks for your excellent job of reporting, Betty.  :D

I especially liked the picture of you in the doorway.  When we viewed it, I said to Tom, "Terry just loves to take pictures of Betty, as he should."  (Note to Terry:  if someone else took that picture .... WORRY! ... she just looks so danged cute!)  :D 

More pictures!  :D

Margi

Margi,

I was telling Pat that we've know Betty for 10 years and she still makes a great photo!!!
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2000 American Dream 40' DP
2012 GMC Terrain
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50T Motorcycle
http://photo.net/photos/jimdick

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2008, 03:38:04 PM »
Betty,

You must remember you are a lot closer to the sun down there!!!! :)
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2012 GMC Terrain

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2008, 05:13:44 PM »
Betty,

I'll bet some of the "locals" wondered what on earth those crazy gringos were doing out there on the beach!  Glad the gringos set a good example.  Great photos and a very interesting narrative.  Thanks!

ArdraF

ArdraF
:D :D

KodiakRV

• ---
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2008, 08:21:07 PM »
...we tasted peanut butter liquor made locally with a 95% alcohol. ...

Not much room left for the peanuts there, but then you may not care too much after a few sips.    ;)
Frank
Florida

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2008, 09:03:54 PM »
January 30, 2008

Villahermosa, Tabasco, Mexico

We had a 7 am departure time and we scrambled for the one dump at this park in Veracruz.  At 7:15, under the light of a beautiful sunrise,  all of us had pulled out and as we had a pretty much straight shot  down the toll roads today. We were to travel “on our own.”   Pressure was indeed on the navigator to follow “the book” and get us to our destination.  It was a long mileage day and the first hurdle we encountered was a huge CRANE on a bridge under construction a few miles out of our RV park.  No problemo, just creep along at a snail pace but it did separate the group.  Much later in the day, we saw a bridge of astonishing engineering feat.  The book said to get off and look at the statue but we did not.  We followed the directions into Villahermosa.

Last October when we knew we were going on this trip, we heard in the news, how Villa Hermosa was  90 %  flooded.  Today we found, the park, mostly grassy, wet in the middle and the good new is , it has not rained for 4 days.  We arrived way ahead of schedule as the roads today were better than before but still had their  “moments of bumpy.”   We traversed a long narrow driveway and were directed onto a grassy field..  They have completely redone their pool and most of the group enjoyed it all afternoon.

It was a significant day in that Bruce had a 70th birthday today.  The group had happy hour and made a baked potato feast. The only problem was that before cake could be served, Terry and I were swarmed with a biting insect so we hurried back inside to the comfort of our rig.  Thanks to a Russell Mahoney’s cure of Benadrly spray, our bites subsided and I decided we don’t have to go home after all.   Hopefully they saved cake and we can spread Bruce’ birthday over a few days.  Our Villahemosa   tour begins  at 8:30 am.

Statistics:
Motorhome Miles Driven:  295
Temperatures:    High 89    Low  66   Humidity  84%
GPS Coordinates: N 17 58.927 W 093 2.782

Tolls $64.10 US  in tolls with no tow car.
Fuel    57.7 23 gallons for $130 Us dollars
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 09:58:05 PM by Betty Brewer »
Betty Brewer

see where we are

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2008, 09:06:02 PM »
Thanks for the reports Betty. I'm not sure about this group though; They give new meaning to partying.
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2008, 09:08:06 PM »

More pictures! 
Hi Margi,'
Yesterday when I tired to send up 10 photos,  the  connection timed out and I had to start all over.  So I only sent a few so they could get "up."  ok.  "Technology is my friend. " ommmmmnnnnnn.

Betty

This  is a project each eveing better than watching TV.

Betty
Betty Brewer

see where we are

Tom and Margi

• ---
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2008, 09:44:19 PM »
Betty:

Keep on keepin' on!  :D  We are really enjoying your journal and the pictures. 

Margi

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2008, 09:25:04 AM »
Thanks again for the great travel log and photos.  Looking forward to the next.
Ron & Sam-home is where we park it. Currently located   HERE

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2008, 07:07:41 PM »
January 31, 2008

Villahermosa, Tabasco, Mexico

We had an 8:30 rendezvous time with our tour busses. Two little mini VW vans pulled up to our RV “park” to take us on today’s tours. The tour company calculated 3 vans for our 42 people.  Yes we have seen pick-ups with upwards of 15 people loaded onto them, but it was not the comfort level we would enjoy.  One of the vans was late so several people drove their cars but Terry and I were lucky enough to get a ride in this “Tijuana Taxi.”  It was only about 5 miles to the Park/Museum and what a ride.  Speakers blared out the back with very exciting Mexican music and we hung onto the grab bars for dear life as this little town has quite a fast moving traffic pattern. 

We arrived at the Parque Museo La Venta and began a leisurely-guided tour through this lovely garden site, which was a combination zoo and archeological display.  It was actually a Poet who envisioned this park and established the surroundings in this tropical paradise.
 The stone head artifacts are from the Olmec Culture, thought to be the original people of Mexico.  Terry thought the jungle environment reminded him of Viet Nam and he watched for trip wires all through out the display.  They had a huge flood here in October but with the efforts of sand bags were able to protect the stone figures from the floodwaters.  We learned the stone figures are dated from between 400 and 1200 BC.  The figures either depict humans, animals or a combination.  While our guide was limited in English, he had knowledge and pride in his heritage and history. The main God was that of the Sun and a jaguar was thought to be holy.

We saw two spotted   leopards, a crocodile, spider monkeys, a relative of the anteater, and numerous birds on our tour. 

We had the afternoon free to enjoy the biggest pools I have ever seen and partake of happy hour snacks yet again!

Tonight we were cautioned that a border stop in the route tomorrow would include an agriculture inspection.  Chicken, pork and eggs are subject to being taken from us.  So we had scrambled eggs for lunch and it is chicken for dinner.  Many others had pork chops.  Each Mexican State determines it’s own rules for imports.

Statistics:
Temperatures:    High 91    Low  71   Humidity  96%
GPS Coordinates: N 17 58.927  W 093 2.782
Betty Brewer

see where we are

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2008, 08:11:35 PM »
Nice to have the government help decide what's for lunch and dinner, huh? Just curious, but when are you guys sleeping????

Enjoying the pics and travelogue. Keep it up.

Wendy
Quartzsite
Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
~We can't be lost because we don't care where we're going~
Here's where we are http://map.datastormusers.com/user2.cfm?user=2276
2015 Allegro Ooen Road
1973 Sunshine Yellow VW Bug

yvonne

« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2008, 08:31:28 PM »
Enjoying your tour - it sounds fantastic - explanations and pictures are excellent and we are enjoying it
Please pass our hello's on to Mike & Eileen Campbell - and tell them it has warmed up
from -37  with wind chill of -47 in good ole calgary alberta canada to now a warmer -17 -
We are very envious of you all -

Thanks for the great postings - Love it
Yvonne & Jack Krieger - Calgary Canada

ruthandken CDN

• ---
    • Five - Just Rolling Down the Road
« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2008, 09:54:04 PM »
I am so enjoying reading your daily journals, and I love the pictures.  You've convinced me, we are going to be planning a trip like this in the very near future.  Have fun...and keep up the great reports.

Ruth and Ken
Ken & Ruth,
fur kid, Jackson(golden retriever)
2013 Jayco Pinnacle 36 REQS
2011 F350 Ford Super Duty Dually with crew cub
Dogs are not my whole life but they made my life whole.
http://fivejustrolling.blogspot.com/

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2008, 04:11:14 PM »
Please pass our hello's on to Mike & Eileen Campbell - and tell them it has warmed up
from -37  with wind chill of -47 in good ole calgary alberta canada to now a warmer -17 -

Yvonne and Jack,

Thank you for reminding me that I should be greatful for our 88 degree temperatures with 96% humidity weather, even with my bug, fire ant and mosquito bites. It all beats the cold!!  Have passed on the hello to Mike and Eileen.
Betty
Betty Brewer

see where we are

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #56 on: February 01, 2008, 06:54:26 PM »
Betty,

Great travelogue! If you get bit by fire ants again try some stick underarm deodorant. It helps take the sting away. Won't all be gone but it will feel much better.
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2012 GMC Terrain

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #57 on: February 01, 2008, 09:53:11 PM »
If you get bit by fire ants again try some stick underarm deodorant. It helps take the sting away. Won't all be gone but it will feel much better.
Jim,

Thanks for the "cure."  I have tried nail polish, chigger bite repellant, benadryl and some pills someone gave me.  I don't itch too much tonight but I can't move either.  I should have put on bug spray before getting these bite, much like Ishould have put on sun block BEFORE sun exposure.
Betty
Betty Brewer

see where we are

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #58 on: February 01, 2008, 09:59:48 PM »
February 1, 2008

It’s a new month and Day 11 of our Adventure.  We had a travel day today and are in Isla Aguada (Freedom Shores).

We left at 8 am and navigated the very busy city streets of Villhahermosa, complete with returnos (U TURNS), glorietas (traffic circles) and construction typical of all roads we’ve ever traveled anywhere.  Our destination was out on a  sand spit along the Gulf of Mexico and GPS coordinates have us in the water but we are in a lovely RV park.  The scenery today became more and more lush.  By lush I mean tropical, water standing, marshes and lots of green.  Trees are covered in bright flowers and the houses are bright too, even if only on the front side.  We saw many push, pedal carts out among us in traffic today.  As we neared our beachfront, the narrow strand of road showed definite signs of the recent past hurricane damage.  Parts of the road would be crumbly or missing so the driver had to pay attention to the erosion patterns.  At one point today our speed got up to 34 mph and it felt like we were doing 100 mph.  Our moving average today was 29.1 MPH.

Travel days are eventful.  With 22 rigs traveling together connected by CB radio we feel the pain of other who “mess up.”  A few senior moments today resulted in missed turns, going under tunnels not expected, knocking off mirrors on trees and Terry and I found ourselves in the lead as the Wagon masters were held up at a Military Check point. We lost our eggs at the checkpoint as others lost their oranges. The last leg of the trip revealed the Mexico we came to visit.  The turquoise blue seas came up beside us and this RV Park is right on the ocean.  We do not have the ocean view tonight but we are very close to the restaurant and the bathrooms if we need.

At Happy Hour tonight Hex got Bull’s ladder and climbed a coconut tree to extract a coconut.  After several hacks with a machete by Pat, we enjoyed coconut milk and rum.  Ekkkkkkk.  Then we enjoyed sweet fresh coconut.  Yum. Animal awards were given tonight for those present.  Following that we put out our laundry in a big sack  for a morning pick up and headed to dinner.  I ate yet another shrimp dinner that was a 5 on a scale of 10. (By now I am getting picky). 

I caught up on email (thankful to have a signal between the many shade trees on our sight.) Tomorrow we rent a cart to tour the city. 

Statistics:
Motorhome Miles Driven: 143
Temperatures:    High 87    Low 63   Humidity 84%
GPS Coordinates: N 18 46.59 W 91 29.40
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 10:06:09 PM by Betty Brewer »
Betty Brewer

see where we are

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #59 on: February 01, 2008, 10:19:21 PM »
Hope that's not your motorhome missing the rear view mirror.....ouch. Shrimp dinner that's a 5? That's sad especially since the shrimp is probably so fresh. It all sounds lovely, especially the 80 degree temps as I look out at the snow in the yard. Keep sharing the adventure.

Wendy
cold and snowy in Colorado
Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
~We can't be lost because we don't care where we're going~
Here's where we are http://map.datastormusers.com/user2.cfm?user=2276
2015 Allegro Ooen Road
1973 Sunshine Yellow VW Bug

Hosted by Over The Network