EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Yucatan/Mexico 08 with Brewers  (Read 130350 times)

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
Re: Yucatan/Mexico 08 with Brewers
« Reply #60 on: February 01, 2008, 10:25:20 PM »
Hope that's not your motorhome missing the rear view mirror.....ouch.

Wendy,
Thankfully it is not our missing mirror but several times today during the tollbooths or along the street with street light posts I had to remind the driver we were but 2 inches away from the obstacle.  My reminders are in the form of a shreak!!

Betty
Betty Brewer

see where we are

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • Ned and Lorna are former full time RVers
    • Have you seen Rolling Stock?
« Reply #61 on: February 02, 2008, 08:14:02 AM »
Sorry about the mirror.  Hope it's fixable.

We used to fix coconuts like this:  Knock a hole in the end with a Phillips screwdriver.  Drain the milk, someone can drink it.  Fill the coconut with rum, let soak overnight.  Drain the rum, someone can drink it too.  Open the coconut and enjoy the rum soaked meat.
-- Ned -- Fulltimer 1997-2013
1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE
2007 GMC Canyon

Jeff

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #62 on: February 02, 2008, 11:49:52 AM »
Betty:

Last year on the Baja Pat had us pull our mirrors in until we could barely see behind our coaches to avoid crunching them. Did he forget this year?

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #63 on: February 02, 2008, 03:38:29 PM »
Last year on the Baja Pat had us pull our mirrors in until we could barely see behind our coaches to avoid crunching them. Did he forget this year?

Nope,
Hex, the tail gunner visited each rig to do the mirror adjustment so all of our mirrors have been tucked  in.  Bill was driving very slowly along the "curb" and hit a tree.  The Mexicans in campground today took his mirror, were gone for an hour and came back with the repair job done.  Cost 200 pesos, about $20 bucks.

No problemo

Betty
Betty Brewer

see where we are

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #64 on: February 02, 2008, 07:47:03 PM »
February 2, 2008

Isla Aguada, 1100 miles into our trip.

Today was a free but very busy day.  Many in our group decided to take the taxi tour of town.  Motorcycles pulled our “chariots” through this little village.  We saw the Pharmacia, (Terry bought bug anti itch cream) a grocery store, a butcher shop and many, many homes of differing amenities.  We toured along the bay and stopped at a shell shop where I bought a necklace made of local shells. This is a fishing village where fishermen go out early in the morning and the catch of the day seems to be conch shells.

Those in our group did a variety of activities today.  We had folks  cleaning  rigs, doing laundry, swimming in the ocean, and reading.  It is good to have a free day.
I personally soaked in the ocean to see if my fire ant/ mosquito bites would subside with the salt water.  I was ok until a 4 year old Australian tourist told me there were eels in the water and then I was outta there. We enjoyed a cook out of Texas beef brisket dinner tonight complete with chocolate cake and red beans. Owen and Paula provided the Texas  music. Following the dinner some adventuresome souls ventured down to the local street for a Mardi gras parade.  My bug bites kept me inside composing this log.  We leave at 6:30am ohhhhhhhhhhhh.  But it is a short day.

Statistics:

Motorhome Miles Driven:  0
Temperatures:  High 87  low 74  Humidity 89
Betty Brewer

see where we are

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #65 on: February 02, 2008, 07:59:28 PM »
I am so jealous of your shorts and sandals. But not your 6:30 am departure time (that means getting up at what??). I need to find a caravan with folks that leave at 10 am and stop by 2 pm.

Wendy
snowy Colorado
Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
~We can't be lost because we don't care where we're going~
Here's where we are http://map.datastormusers.com/user2.cfm?user=2276
2015 Allegro Ooen Road
1973 Sunshine Yellow VW Bug

Jeff

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #66 on: February 02, 2008, 08:42:37 PM »
I am so jealous of your shorts and sandals. But not your 6:30 am departure time (that means getting up at what??). I need to find a caravan with folks that leave at 10 am and stop by 2 pm.

Wendy
snowy Colorado

Wendy:

You would have enjoyed traveling with us last year. We (3 coaches) would give the caravan 1-2 hours head start and then travel at highway speeds to catch up by mid-late afternoon. Only were late one day on rough roads.

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #67 on: February 02, 2008, 08:50:45 PM »

Wendy,
Terry says I exaggerate things.  The first guy to dump in morning  will leave at 6:30 then we fall into order.  Since we will be the last ones out we may leave at 7:30 so we won't get up until 6:30 or so.

Betty
Betty Brewer

see where we are

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #68 on: February 02, 2008, 08:56:36 PM »
Wendy,
Terry says I exaggerate things.  The first guy to dump in morning  will leave at 6:30 then we fall into order.  Since we will be the last ones out we may leave at 7:30 so we won't get up until 6:30 or so.

Betty

Obviously too early for many of us.  I like Wendy's schedule better since it is darn clpse to what we normally do. :)
Ron & Sam-home is where we park it. Currently located   HERE

Terry A. Brewer

• ---
« Reply #69 on: February 03, 2008, 12:37:33 AM »
Jeff

>We (3 coaches) would give the caravan 1-2 hours head start and then travel at highway speeds to catch up<<

That wouldn't happen on this trip....With the exception of one day where we actually hit 60 mph, the roads are 2 lane pot-holed & run through numerous small villages with lots of topes. We have already had 2 coaches lost on this trip.

Our daily average speeds are barely over 26 mph.  The reason for the early departure tomorrow is too reach the hotel in plenty of time for The Super-bowl.

Jeff

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #70 on: February 03, 2008, 01:20:44 AM »
Terry:

It sounds like you have left the tourist routes of Mexico behind!

Marsha/CA

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #71 on: February 03, 2008, 10:17:38 AM »
Betty,  I just had a thought.   I'm wondering if a 1/2 dose of benedryll (spelling) would help with the ant bites.  One of our sons had trouble with insect bites and benedryll helped him quite a bit.  The 1/2 dose won't make you as sleepy.  Also an old wives trick is to make a paste of corn starch and water then smear it on the bites.  If you decide to use this remedy....take pictures... ;D

Wendy....I'll travel with you anytime.  I LOVE your choice of schedule!!

Marsha~
2017 Heartland Mallard IDM231 Travel Trailer....Small but mighty.

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #72 on: February 03, 2008, 10:23:54 AM »
The corn starch thing does work.  The very best thing we have found for bites and stings is Tea Tree Oil.  Probably can't find it down there though.

Marsha/CA

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #73 on: February 03, 2008, 10:47:36 AM »
Ron,  she might be able to find Tea Tree down there.  That works pretty well too.

Betty, I forgot another product that is really really good.  It's "Sting Eze".  It's in a little yellow squeeze bottle container.  We carried that with us on horse back packing trips.  It really WORKS!  Like Ron, I'm not sure you will be able to find it down there.

Marsha~

2017 Heartland Mallard IDM231 Travel Trailer....Small but mighty.

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #74 on: February 03, 2008, 11:55:03 AM »
Betty - Benedryl is one of the things we always keep on hand for bites...recommended in our EMT training especially for spider bites.

Sounds like we need to put together a slow moving caravan to Mexico. Of course, at our slow speeds, we'd need the entire winter to do Terry & Betty's 42-day trip.

As for you guys not having to start out until 7:30 am, that's still way before Mike's out-of-bed hour, mine too. Although for a special occasion/trip I guess we could haul ourselves out of the sack.

Keep the reports and pics coming. We love traveling vicariously when we can't travel in actual fact.

Wendy
STILL snowing in Cortez

Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
~We can't be lost because we don't care where we're going~
Here's where we are http://map.datastormusers.com/user2.cfm?user=2276
2015 Allegro Ooen Road
1973 Sunshine Yellow VW Bug

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #75 on: February 03, 2008, 09:09:13 PM »
February 3, 2008
Campeche (Club Nautico)

Today was the most beautiful of all our drives after an eventful start.  Hex , our tail gunner, thumps tires early in morning to make sure all are safe and discovered a bulge on Allen’s fifth wheel tire.  Terry assisted by crawling under the fifth wheel and supplying a socket to retrieve the spare tire.  So the question is, how many new clean shirts does it take to change a tire?  Answer= 2.  By the way this tire was 5 years old.

Once under way the first 100 yards of travel resulted in a motorcycle taxi blocking the road and requiring some tricky maneuvers by rigs to round the glorietas on the wrong side of the road, or go up over the curb, or turn right onto a street designed for pedestrians only.  Each of these options was taken by some of the rigs. From then it was an easy drive with but one main turn of the day.  (Two in our group managed to miss that only turn of the day) Now we all laugh about our course corrections!

If you picture the Gulf of Mexico as a giant letter C , we were at the bottom of the C today and traveled North.  We passed through two military checkpoints and then traveled on a very good road for miles with the turquoise waters of the gulf to our left.  White sandy beaches, palm trees and miles of uninhabited shores were those of National Geographic beauty.  We watched big pelicans dive for their meals in the seas. We traveled through a few little picturesque towns that advertised shrimp cocktails but we had no good place to pull over and stop in a 40-foot motor home.  We passed through only one toll booth today.  Can you figure out the amount we were to pay for a 40 foot single axle motorhome with NO toad?

When we arrived at our destination, Club Nautico,  we found a very manicured park with the best of  both worlds, a beautiful pool and the beach.  I ordered my first Pina colada of the trip as they did not serve any margaritas.  Go figure… it is Mexico.  Terry ordered a huge shrimp cocktail poolside.  We swam, we bathed in the sun and later we had a Superbowl Party in the recreation room.  The game was on a very small TV and only in Spanish so after dinner was served Terry and I adjourned to the comfort of our motorhome, 37 inch TV and it was in English.   We are able to get a few Direct TV stations.

Statistics:
Motorhome Miles Driven:  107
Temperatures:    High 90    Low  73   Humidity  71%
GPS Coordinates: N 19  46.41 W 90 38.51
Betty Brewer

see where we are

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #76 on: February 03, 2008, 09:17:29 PM »
Thanks again Betty.  Quite a view over the pool and Gulf.  Hope they same rig doesn't have another tire go bad.  But that bubble wasn't popped yet.

Jim Godward

• ---
« Reply #77 on: February 03, 2008, 09:59:03 PM »
Betty,

Great travelog and pictures. 

BTW, a little ammonia on a Qtip put on the bites will relieve them.
Jim
Jim & Pat Godward
AC7PO & KD7ZDM
Hillsboro, Oregon

moreaual

• ---
« Reply #78 on: February 04, 2008, 03:55:31 PM »
Hello, Moreau & Carriere`s & friends.. hope this post - few extra pix for you to enjoy.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #79 on: February 04, 2008, 04:41:05 PM »
Hi Moreau and thanks for the pictures. Looks like everyone is having way too much fun.
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #80 on: February 04, 2008, 05:17:07 PM »
Hi Moreeau,

Welcome and Thanks for the photos. 

Daisy

• ---
« Reply #81 on: February 04, 2008, 05:45:36 PM »
Betty:

Today is the first day I  could sit down to read your postings, and what a joy they are to read!!  It sounds like you are having a wonderful trip and everyone is having such a good time.  Since we will never get there, like others have said we are living the dream in your posts and pictures.  You do such a terrific job of them.   Can't wait for the next installment...... ;D

Cheers,  Daisy
Daisy.  Location:  Sometimes here, Sometimes there.  All depends on the mood of the moment!

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #82 on: February 04, 2008, 09:01:33 PM »
February 4, 2008
Campeche

Today  we toured Campeche on our own.  It is the Capitol city of the  State. It is known for having one of the most impressive Carnivals in Mexico.  In our drive into the city today we saw massive floats parked along streets, remnants of confetti, streamers and it sure looked like we missed the party.  All public museums and Cathedrals and the 7 fortresses in the city were closed today (as they usually are on Mondays) and tomorrow they will be closed due to Constitution day.  We rode into town with Jack and Shirley so that we could make a grocery store run and to see a few sights of the city. We took pictures along the shores of this quaint fishing city, which is very clean.
The MEGA Grocery store was a tourist treat in itself.  It is a massive grocery store on the second floor of a building and we were amazed that the escalator that goes up to the second floor accommodates shopping cats that have special wheels.  It is very strange to see every product labeled in Spanish.  Gosh how I wish I had taken Spanish in high school instead of French.  I knew the familiar color and label of Clorox but I could not determine if it was scented or plain.  We had a hard time figuring out how much Deet was in the insect spray we wanted. 

We found a lunch spot along the Gulf and used our limited knowledge of Spanish to order shrimp tacos. Shirley and I acted out the ingredients of a dish.  You should see our rendition of fish or chicken!  Jack ordered   a shrimp chili relleno and we were all very happy with our meal.  We spent the after noon back in the pool at the campground enjoying the rafts we bought at the Mega store.  My insect bites are healing and I thank you for all of your suggested remedies. 

Statistics:
Temperatures:    High 92    Low  68   Humidity  89%
GPS Coordinates: N 19 46.41 W 90 38.51
Betty Brewer

see where we are

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #83 on: February 04, 2008, 09:16:37 PM »

Today is the first day I  could sit down to read your postings, and what a joy they are to read!!  It sounds like you are having a wonderful trip and everyone is having such a good time.  Since we will never get there, like others have said we are living the dream in your posts and pictures.  You do such a terrific job of them.   Can't wait for the next installment

Daisy (and others)

Thank you for your kind words on my journal.  All during the day I feel as if my "readers" are with me.  I take little notes on things I think might be of interest to those of you following. AND I do this so that when I return home I can recall what I did day by day.  I do realize that many will never be able to experience this kind of a trip and I feel blessed to have the experience.  I'm happy to share!   Travel outside of "home", makes  me much more appreciative of my own roots!

Betty
Betty Brewer

see where we are

Alaskansnowbirds

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #84 on: February 04, 2008, 09:22:47 PM »
Can you figure out the amount we were to pay for a 40 foot single axle motorhome with NO toad?

Betty,

How does Terry keep the motorhome balanced on that one axle?  ;D   ;D   ;D
Don & Peg
Alaska/Arizona
Currently located here.
Weather at Camp Verde, AZ.

Barb

• ---
« Reply #85 on: February 05, 2008, 09:18:14 AM »
Frank and I will probably not take this trip either.  We are enjoying reading your journal, and look forward to everyday.  We appreciate you sharing very much.  Thank You. 

Have you seen any other caravans along the way?  I was wondering if the campgrounds are filled with Mexican family campers?  Hows the internet and tv satelite down there? 

Safe and happy travels
Barb
Barb
2003 NRV Tradewinds LTC
2011 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #86 on: February 05, 2008, 09:23:30 AM »

How does Terry keep the motorhome balanced on that one axle? 

OK now , Don, I see you've managed to avoid the question.  How much toll do you think we paid?  :)  :)

Betty
Betty Brewer

see where we are

johanna

• ---
« Reply #87 on: February 05, 2008, 05:13:34 PM »
Hello, Moreau & Carriere`s & friends.. hope this post - few extra pix for you to enjoy.
Thanks for the pictures i was waiting for those.  I'm glad to see that you're having fun.  We miss you lots.  Bye love Jo xx :-* :-*

rhmahoney

• ---
« Reply #88 on: February 06, 2008, 12:19:58 AM »
&& pesos?
Green Flash seeker
Country Coach Magna
Datastorm internet satellite dish.D3.Direcway 7000 modem

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #89 on: February 06, 2008, 03:28:57 PM »
February 5, 2008
Campeche Day 3

Today was another free day in Campeche.  Terry took the optional tour to the Edzna Ruins and left at 7 am with 7 hearty souls in our group.   I opted to sleep in, drink coffee, do my email, defrost the refrigerator and swim in the pool.  I got shots of the brave divers going off the high dive as we rated their skills. Thses will be in a seperate post to follow)

Terry returned around noon and reported that the ruins were fantastic.  Tonight after our potluck, Ede told about them and I took her notes to make my comments here.

The Edzna Ruins (300 BC) are Mayan ruins discovered in 1956 and are only 25% uncovered. The remainder is still buried in the jungle. The pyramids are 5 stories high. If you could see from the top of one pyramid to the next you could see to the next community.  The very educated and articulate guide revealed that he is Mayan and that there is much intermix of races.  In fact Mayan’s here have 2 names, one Mayan and one Spanish. A path to the sea was available to all structures here as salt was an essential element of the life. The manatee and deer were used for their fat for pigment to paint on rocks.   The roads were wide so that the rocks could be rolled on logs.  The structures here are made of rock and covered with stucco and white washed.  The original red paint was made of pigment from fruit and deer fat.   Needless to say it was a happy day in archeology when this structure was discovered. Terry noted how steep the climb down from them was!
I am a little sorry that I did not go today but my tan is coming along nicely. 

Fern offered to make his beans for the group and it turned into a caravan potluck, which we all enjoyed at 4 pm.  At 7 pm we were invited to a “Sing along” with Fern and we sang our lungs out to the songs we knew the words to and hummed along if we didn’t know the words. 

Statistics:
Temperatures:    High 92    Low 73   Humidity 86%
GPS Coordinates: N 19 46.41 W 90 38.51
« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 08:40:41 PM by Betty Brewer »
Betty Brewer

see where we are

Hosted by Over The Network