Yucatan/Mexico 08 with Brewers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jim Dick said:
Does that mean you missed the Shuttle when it passed just east of the Yucatan peninsula on it's way home to Kennedy??

Jim,

If it happened last night just before the eclipse, I saw it.  I told Terry, look, there is something moving in the sky.  He told me it was moving so fast it must be a plane.  I just took his word and made him dinner.  Came out later to see the lunar finale.  It was  superb.  I missed Russ' interpretation of placement of the planets however!
Betty

A note from Rodger & Kathy, friends of Mike & Eileen.First, we thank you for the daily updates on you'r wonderfull trip. You are doing a great job complete with pictures. Very informative and funny!! Please pass on a Large HELLO to M &E. Thanks in advance and as always SAFE and HAPPY TRAILS!!!!!

Feb 21, 2008
Palenque (Nututun Hotel)

Today was a long travel day.  Somehow Terry and I managed to travel ?alone? today missing the caravan CB communication.  It was our choice to not take the first break and move on.  Terry has a good bladder so stops are not his priority and I can get up in the rig to use the facilities when I need.  I navigated, followed the book and enjoyed the changes of scenery.  We had some new good roads (some with guard rails) and then bad roads and numerous topes all day. Later we learned Owen and Paula ?lost? their VW tow vehicle due to a tope and Sandy ended up driving it the rest of the day. The tope was a big one but the good news is that when they lost the vehicle it rolled into a field of tall grass and did not cause any damage nor harm to anyone else.  I think they have a guardian angel.  Now they look for a welder.

Our trip took us out of the jungle terrain up into pastures and finally into mountainous terrain.  At times the road looked like a green tunnel with branches growing up and over the top of us.  At one point a new highway was being constructed with heavy equipment, which is rare to see in Mexico.  A bulldozer was clearing the terrain and smashing trees along the road.  One of the trees he hit landed right across the highway blocking all lanes in front of us.  Fortunately, of the 10 Mexicans working to clear the road, one of them had a chain saw so the clearing only took 25 minutes with the assistance of some very sharp machetes too.  We passed into and out of the state of Campeche and were not stopped at any of the agricultural nor military checkpoints. We saw a butcher shop and did not stop to purchase any of the fine aging beef.  The photo is not clear, as there was smoke in the air.
We learned that Walter had wheel damage (most likely caused by the topes) and had to stop to put on his spare.  He is looking for a tire shop.  When we arrived at this hotel (it is not an RV Park) we parked in their parking lot.  It is tropical, pretty and overgrown with trees. Adventure Caravan purchased two hotel rooms so we can shower, change clothes and use the room for pool purposes, as we are dry camping for the next 3 days.  Our first parking place did not allow us Internet connections, so happily Pat moved us into the line of sight with the sky.  We are happy campers to be able to connect with all of you.

Statistics:
Motorhome Miles Driven:  309
  Temperatures: High 92  Low 78  Humidity 85% 
      GPS Coordinates: N 17 29.045  W 91 58.456

Attachments

• Palenque0017 (Small).JPG
    Palenque0017 (Small).JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_1624 (Small).JPG
    IMG_1624 (Small).JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 86
  • Tree2 (Small).JPG
    Tree2 (Small).JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 74
  • Tree1 (Small).JPG
    Tree1 (Small).JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 72
  • Tree3 (Small).JPG
    Tree3 (Small).JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 74
  • Palenque0002 (Small).JPG
    Palenque0002 (Small).JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_1659 (Small).JPG
    IMG_1659 (Small).JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 80
polarbear1 said:
A note from Rodger & Kathy, friends of Mike & Eileen.First, we thank you for the daily updates on you'r wonderfull trip. You are doing a great job complete with pictures. Very informative and funny!! Please pass on a Large HELLO to M &E. Thanks in advance and as always SAFE and HAPPY TRAILS!!!!!

Roger and Kathy,
Thank you for the kind words on our travel journal.  We are having a blast thanks in good part to your friends who are crazy!!  We are having a wonderful time and enjoying all of our former and new friends! Glad you are following the forum.

Betty

Your two friends keep us in stiches

Betty Brewer said:
Today was a long travel day.  Somehow Terry and I managed to travel ?alone? today missing the caravan CB communication.  It was our choice to not take the first break and move on.  Terry has a good bladder so stops are not his priority and I can get up in the rig to use the facilities when I need. 

One of the joys of being the navigator. Mike needs to stop, he can stop and use the facilities. He doesn't want to stop, I can still get up and use the facilities. Also one of the benefits of traveling in a motorhome versus a trailer.

Wendy
Bolsa Chica State Beach

More pix for the Moreau`s, Carri?re`s & friends... Enjoy!
Mostly pix of Cooch this time... of course I`m posting so that makes a difference.. keep reading & hopefully enjoying the pix..
Take care, everyone!

Attachments

• P2040674.JPG
    P2040674.JPG
    18 KB · Views: 67
  • P2040691.JPG
    P2040691.JPG
    19.7 KB · Views: 58
  • P2040693.JPG
    P2040693.JPG
    19.2 KB · Views: 57
  • P2060703.JPG
    P2060703.JPG
    20.6 KB · Views: 54
  • P2080886.JPG
    P2080886.JPG
    16.5 KB · Views: 51
  • P2090931.JPG
    P2090931.JPG
    19.2 KB · Views: 63
  • P2090987.JPG
    P2090987.JPG
    18.8 KB · Views: 57
Feb 22, 2008
Palenque Ruins

We have seen many Mayan Ruins on this trip and in my opinion, today we saw the BEST.  The others have included ceremonial places but the ruins at Palenque include the entire Kingdom.  We had Francisco as our guide who was fluent English speaking, having learned English from his mother who grew up in Los Angeles. I had my little tablet and took notes on the interesting facts I learned today.  I?ll try to transcribe them as college notes.  I may not get the details correct so I welcome any archeologists, historians or fellow caravaners to challenge the facts as presented.  It may be a long post as I was completely enthralled with these ruins. Palenque is the first place I can say I would love to return (except for the beaches)

When we boarded the bus the guide asked us if we spoke Spanish, Most of us said NO.  He asked if we could say cervesa and when we replied cervesa, he informed us that we could indeed speak Spanish.

The ruins of Palenque are nestled in the mountains and were discovered in 1773.  Only 2% of them have been uncovered from the dense jungle growth.  This area gets 180 inches of rainfall a year and has very high humidity so growth of the jungle is rapid. It is estimated that it would take 50 years to uncover one temple and LOTS of money. It is also estimated that without constant ?gardening? the jungle would completely consume this area in 10 years.  Every 10 to 15 days moss is cleared from the structures by hand to avoid damaging them.  The University of California at San Francisco sent aerial topographers with sonar and estimated there are an additional 1453 structures yet to be uncovered in this region.  The Mayan civilization we observed today is estimated to have flourished from 100 BC to 900 AD, which is the Classical Period.  For 1,000 years the Mayans slashed and burned the jungle to raise corn.  They cleared the forests of wood to burn in combination with limestone to use for plaster and stucco. (I?m no chemist so I just accept what I am told on this building material thing.) It is speculated that droughts caused by deforestation resulted in their downfall.   The Mayans created a very accurate calendar, which seemed to be accurate to the day for 6,000 years. The calendar year begins in August and I bought a souvenir, a clay  necklace  representing  the month and day of my birth. 8/23.  They are the civilization that first utilized the concept of zero in the numbering and accounting systems.  They used only 3 symbols for their numbering system.   The Mayan cities were independent of one another and seemed to have fought against each other and some alliances were formed from city to city. This is evidenced in that Jade is not found naturally here but the tombs were filled with Jade artifacts.  Guatemala was thought to have been a trade partner.  (Will any of this make sense in the essay I will need to write for my final exam?)  The hieroglyphics were phonetic and translation reveals that 30 % of them give dates of the event it describes.   The Temple of Inscriptions is the tallest and is also called the Temple of Laws. (We were not allowed to climb up there.)  In 1994 a tomb was discovered of a woman. She is thought to have been the wife or mother of Pakal, the ruler of the regime for 68 years.  He became king at the age of 12 and ruled until he died at age 80.  Not many lived that long so he must have had the easy life. The tombs were painted with a red toxic paint to deter looters and when the paint of the tomb fell, it painted the bones red.   The Mayans believed they were made from corn and the colors they used to ?decorate? were from the 4 species of corn.   Red represented East, Black represented West, White was North and South was yellow. 

The Temple of Inscriptions has 9 levels representing life now, underground or evil life and the heavens or life after here.   (ok now my college notes are getting a bit fuzzy)  The Mayans were into blood letting for the hallucinogenic effect it might have.  They also fermented corn and fruits to make alcohol.  The Noble women pierced their tongues and let the spilled blood be used to make grounds fertile, Nobel men pierced their penis to use their blood for the same fertilizer.  Now who wants to be noble?

The Mayans were not a race of people but a Religion practiced.  Today was the first we heard this  and we still have a question in our minds about this information. There are more than 15,000 Mayan sites in Central America. I promise not take notepaper to my next tour. The humidity was HIGH.  Within the Museum, we visited the tomb of Pakal.  It was very air conditioned inside.  We wanted to stay longer.  Enough already.  (Ardra I know you are still reading, thank you.)  Oh heck, just Google Mayan Race for details.  I love being a tourist.

Jack and Shirley drove us downtown for an ATM run and lunch in the city.  We are so full we cancelled dinner plans and I am doing my homework?.this log. 

Statistics:
Motorhome Miles Driven: 0
  Temperatures: High 95   Low 70   Humidity 93%   
       GPS Coordinates: N 17 29.045   W 91 58.456

Attachments

• Palenque08 (Small).JPG
    Palenque08 (Small).JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 82
  • Palenque09 (Small).JPG
    Palenque09 (Small).JPG
    92 KB · Views: 75
  • Palenque11 (Small).JPG
    Palenque11 (Small).JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 79
  • Palenque14 (Small).JPG
    Palenque14 (Small).JPG
    68 KB · Views: 75
  • Palenque16 (Small).JPG
    Palenque16 (Small).JPG
    78 KB · Views: 81
  • Palenque29 (Small).JPG
    Palenque29 (Small).JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 72
  • Palenque31 (Small).JPG
    Palenque31 (Small).JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 73
  • Palenque32 (Small).JPG
    Palenque32 (Small).JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 75
  • Palenque33 (Small).JPG
    Palenque33 (Small).JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 75
  • Palenque35 (Small).JPG
    Palenque35 (Small).JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 76
Oh, Betty ... you are such a treasure!  Thanks so much for taking us along on your journey and reporting it so beautifully.  We so appreciate your efforts!

Tom and Margi

moreaual said:
More pix for the Moreau`s, Carri?re`s & friends... Enjoy!
Mostly pix of Cooch this time... of course I`m posting so that makes a difference.. keep reading & hopefully enjoying the pix..
Take care, everyone!
[Hi Mom,

How are you I don't know if you've notice but we can not see your pictures as well as we do with the ones Betty post can you check with her because they are so small we can hardly see Dad.  Bye bye love ya ! ;)]

Hi Betty,

Lovely photos. I especially like the first two of this set. Great composition!!! The first if really something.

Feb 20, 2008
Belize, Part 2 the details

It is now a couple of days later and I have time to collect my thoughts on our wonderful visit to yet another country in Central America, Belize.  In the 1970?s British Honduras changed their name to Belize due to confusion with the mail having Honduras, as another country in the region. On September 21, 1981, Belize was given their independence from England. So Belize is the only English speaking country in Central America.  When we crossed into the border I felt literate again. I could read the signs, the money is 2 to 1, so all I had to do was divide the price of what I wanted in ? and I knew what it cost.  Fortunately they let us use US Dollars in the places we visited in our day.  The entire trip was an experience.  We had to clear immigration and import customs to get into Belize.  We are fortunate to have had guides handle the details for us but we did have to stand in the lines and present our passports for stamping. When we boarded the van again Terry commented on the Toyota, Hilec, which had a stick shift with a diesel engine and was very comfortable for 10 of us. This vehicle is only available in third world countries. No emissions standards etc?  Our driver gave us information as we drove down the road. Disclaimer: No reliability on my memory of details. 
In the early 70?s Guatemala tried to invade Belize and Margaret Thatcher had Harrier jets fly over fly over and the invading troops split. However it is notable that Belize was the only country in Central America to gain their independence without any blood shed. The Belize dollar still has the Queen on it.  Belize is a small country with a population of only 275,000 representing over a dozen cultures.  The Chinese have established numerous businesses.  There are many Mennonites in Belize who raise 50% of the beans and rice, which are staples of the Belize diet.  Mennonites are not allowed to export any of their products due to their tax advantages.  Sugar Cane is the second largest economic benefit to the country because  5 years ago Tourism passed it as the biggest.  So we cheered that we are Number 1.  We are the Tourist.  Belize has much to offer and I would return here in a minute! 
We boarded boats to traverse the New River to our destination of the Lamanai Ruins.  I felt like we were in a James Bond movie as our boat drivers drove very fast around the twists and bends of the river and the breeze blew our hair doos out the window.  We were hanging onto our hats.  This river is in a thick jungle and we could see the vines Tarzan might have swung from. We observed many, many kinds of birds, noted several species of flowers and plants.  My favorite plant was a snake cactus, which wraps itself around a tree and gets it?s nutrients from the air.  It is a twisty kind of cactus. (On the way home we saw a fresh water crocodile.)    When we docked, we had lunch of a typical Belizean diet; beans, rice, chicken, potato salad and fried banana. Then we set out to tour the Lamanai Ruins.  On the way, we saw Howler monkeys in the trees right over our heads. Whoo hoo what a treat!  Upon arrival to the Temple, many climbed to the top of the big temple that is the highest spot in Northern Belize.  I sat at the bottom and cheered on the climbers.  I was impressed with the number who could manage such big deep steps. In fact I presented the Chicken Award to John and Marilyn Long because they did the entire climb, hand in hand. I also noted Connie who was fulfilling life long goals of climbing pyramids, despite her fear of heights.  Fern froze on his way up but did manage the climb.  The humidity is over 90% and I am HOT just sitting.  We made a gift shop run and Terry got a T-shirt with a Toucan, the State bird of Belize. I purchased a necklace that matched a dress I bought in Veracruz.  We stopped at a Chinese owned grocery store on the way home and I bought rum, which was only $13 US. I also purchase salad cr?me, which was the base for our potato salad lunch and Mary Sharp hot sauce for Terry.    Never mind that I do not drink rum, it was a bargain. We had to unload from the vans and go through the reverse process to get back into Mexico.  I am so grateful to live in the USA where travel between states is so easy. 

When new arrived back in the Chetamul RV Park, those caravaners who had stayed behind welcomed us with a party of hors d?ourves and the men were in costume????  The margaritas were a thank you provided by Ted and Anne for assisting with their alternator problems and putting up with their generator for days. 
We are international travelers.

Statistics:
Motorhome Miles Driven:  0
  Temperatures: High 83  Low 78  Humidity 84% 
      GPS Coordinates: N 18 33.676  W 88  14.913

Attachments

• Belize01 (Small).JPG
    Belize01 (Small).JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 63
  • Belize05 (Small).JPG
    Belize05 (Small).JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 65
  • Belize07 (Small).JPG
    Belize07 (Small).JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 63
  • Belize11 (Small).JPG
    Belize11 (Small).JPG
    68 KB · Views: 75
  • Belize13 (Small).JPG
    Belize13 (Small).JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 66
  • Belize30 (Small).jpg
    Belize30 (Small).jpg
    94 KB · Views: 75
  • Belize33 (Small).JPG
    Belize33 (Small).JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 65
  • Belize35 (Small).JPG
    Belize35 (Small).JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 72
  • Belize36 (Small).JPG
    Belize36 (Small).JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 64
  • Belize38 (Small).JPG
    Belize38 (Small).JPG
    72 KB · Views: 73
  • Belize39 (Small).JPG
    Belize39 (Small).JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 77
  • Belize48 (Small).JPG
    Belize48 (Small).JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 84
Jim Dick said:
Lovely photos. I especially like the first two of this set. Great composition!!! The first if really something.

Jim,

The credit goes to Terry on most of the photos.  I do the  text, he takes photos.  Yes those 2 with the big leaves are great!
Betty

johanna said:
   How are you I don't know if you've notice but we can not see your pictures as well as we do with the ones Betty post can you check with her because they are so small we can hardly see Dad.  

Johanna,
I will see what Annette is doing  and help her with photos if I can.

Betty

Hi Jo..
You can double click on the photos and they will enlarge.. try it let me know.  We should try to chat tonight at 7pm, your time.
Take care, love ya!
Mom

Betty,  This is fantastic.  Thank you so much for taking the time to give such a great recap and photos.  I feel like I'm traveling along with you.

I have a feeling no one is traveling with pets.  Are they?

Marsha~

Marsha/CA said:
  I feel like I'm traveling along with you. I have a feeling no one is traveling with pets.  Are they?

Marsha,

Actually almost 50 % of the rigs here on this trip have a pet.  Some have 2.  Lady travels with Jack and Shirley, Buddy travels with Connie and Jerry, Two little old dogs travel with Marilyn and John.  Walter and Terri have a cat, Paula and Owen have 2 french poodles, Ede and Bob have a standard Poodle and a cat. Trish and Bob have a dog.  Annettee and Fern have Sammy, a little Shitshu.  I forget the others but pets are no problemo.  The caravan does take  quite a few breaks on travel days that allows pet owners a short time to walk their pets. The heat has been a problem for some animals and humans too.

Betty

Betty

Betty, as usual you did a magnificent job on your reports. We are so sad that we are not there with all of you on this trip!!! After looking at those beautiful pictures I had a hard time, controling my emotions. Keep up the good work and believe me, I look forward to reading your daily reports. Love to all our friends.

Mariekie

Betty,

I was wondering with all the heat, and sometimes no electrical hookups, how pets were doing on the trip.  It would be hard to go off and leave them in the coach for a day's sight seeing if there is no A/C running.  Our cats can handle more heat than the new standard poodle puppy can.  Oh, did I tell you we got a new dog.... ;D   We just couldn't stand it, went through all the why and why nots....can't go on cruises....can't leave it for an overnight trip......can't this....can't that....did it anyway.  Wendy and I were comparing notes in Quartzsite about why we each got new dogs after loosing Sam and Remy.

Marsha~

Feb 23, 2008
Palenque (Nututun Hotel) FUN DAY

Today we caught a big tour bus and were driven up through winding mountain roads and were able to enjoy the jungle scenery in the mountains with our very competent bus driver.  Pat and Alice reserved the front seats for those of us who have any tendency to get carsick and I was glad to take the front seat. The scenery of these mountains is so surreal to me.  It is unusual for me to see date palms and banana trees right in mountainous terrain.  We also saw corn growing on the side of mountains, obviously planted by hand and will be harvested by hand on those steep hillsides.   Our first destination was Misol-Ha,  a waterfall spot where we were able to enjoy a hike through the humidity to behind the falls.  Several hiked on up the mountain and reported seeing bat caves.  I did not.  The humidity of this place has me exhausted and I was not feeling well enough to be adventuresome today. 

We moved on to Aqua Azul many more miles up twisty winding and narrow mountain roads, quite unsuitable for RV?s but our bus did just fine with someone else driving! WE had planned a picnic lunch and I made tuna salad sandwiches but Terry was disappointed when he saw the slew of Taco restaurants where he could have had lunch. The minute we got off the bus, local children of the area swarmed us like locusts and tried to sell us bananas, limons, popcorn and lots of other things.   The falls at the new destination emptied into beautiful lagoons after falling off limestone rocks.  I got brave enough to swim in a few of them.  The cool waters were a welcome relief from the humidity.  We frolicked in the pools all afternoon and then the shopping group joined us.  Shirley bought a beautiful pink shoulder bag but within minutes the humidity has her nice white shirt sort of tie dyed with the faded color of her new purse.  Annette?s new headband, gave her a blue tattoo on her forehead from the fading.  Thank goodness I did not feel like shopping today. We went home in wet bathing suits down the same twisty winding road but many slept. 
At the afternoon trip briefing Shirley was awarded Goofy for her pink shirt but when Mr. Green gave it to her, he knocked over her wine glass shattering it, so he kept Goofy, as he should.  Annette earned the bottomless glass as someone counted 15 limes in her margarita glass, one for each margarita she consumed yesterday.  Fern got Care bear because he told people where to go?or something like that.

Terry and I adjourned to the Hotel restaurant where we were joined by Paula and Owen for a lovely dinner.  Terry ordered Banana flamb? and it was a ?show? but he thinks he may not be able to drive tomorrow for the amount of alcohol in it!

Statistics:
Motorhome Miles Driven:  0
  Temperatures: High 93   Low 73   Humidity 91%   
       GPS Coordinates: N 17 29.045   W 91 58.456

Attachments

• Misol-Ha05 (Small).JPG
    Misol-Ha05 (Small).JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 81
  • Misol-Ha09 (Small).JPG
    Misol-Ha09 (Small).JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 70
  • Aqua Azul03 (Small).JPG