Quartzsite 2008 Pictures

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bob Buchanan

Am starting separate topic for those taking pictures during the rally. It takes me some time to edit the pictures I do -- and with my working at the show as well as nursing my new bionic hip, please excuse my getting a bit behind in getting stuff posted.

This first group covers a few taken as I entered the RV Show on day one, then of Jerry & Ardra coming to our Happy Hour on Monday, the Happy Hour group getting started around the campfire, and a few shots of our newer members. Some new members may be with other members as well. I hope the titles of each will describe what you see until I can muster up the energy to be more thorough in my descriptions . . .

Hope what I have hastily shot so far depicts what a great group of RV Forum members and guests have arrived so far at our Quartzsite rally. I look forward to pics taken by other members here soon.

Attachments

• MoonInTheCactus.jpg
    MoonInTheCactus.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 142
  • ShowEntrance.jpg
    ShowEntrance.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 137
  • Vendor(1).jpg
    Vendor(1).jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 98
  • Vendor(2).jpg
    Vendor(2).jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 102
  • JerryAndArdra.jpg
    JerryAndArdra.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 129
  • HappyHour.jpg
    HappyHour.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 128
  • KentKathySwitzer.jpg
    KentKathySwitzer.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 106
  • DaleSandyReimer&RolfShirleySalhus.jpg
    DaleSandyReimer&RolfShirleySalhus.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 123
  • JeffCousins.jpg
    JeffCousins.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 118
  • TimJanLych&JohnMaryAnn.jpg
    TimJanLych&JohnMaryAnn.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 139
Great pictures Bob, really brings back some memories.

And I love the thumbnail bit, the pictures show up inline with one click!

Joel

Yes Tom I saw the blurb.

Agree with your logic not to allow inbedded pictures - I've seen them abused.

Bob's post is a perfect example of pictures done right - perfectly sized and I can choose to see them inline or not.

Joel

Bob sure takes outstanding photos, and I can only sit and look in awe at the results.

Today we went on an Off-Road trip north to Bouse, AZ and then on to the Four Peaks Trail.

We departed about 10:15am with 5 vehicles.  As usual, we had Bernie & Marlene Dobrin playing Tail Gunner for the group.  We headed north on 95 and turned NE at Plomosa Road.  A few miles down the road we made a stop at the monument to the WACS or Women's Air Corp..  Went a few miles further and stopped in the Plomosa Mountains at the site of the Intaglia or Bouse Fisherman.  It included a short walk in to the site.  We then departed and drove into Bouse and stopped at the Museum, which was open today.  The woman there was extremely knowledgeable about the areas mining, military past and local color.

By noonish, we departed and headed off-road into the Plomosa Mountains and the Four Peaks area.  Our first stop was at a mine site up a steep climb.  Everyone except Marlene took the trek.  At that point the group was wanting to eat.  We decided to move further down the road to have lunch.  Jerry and Ardra turned around and headed back to camp.  Jerry had enough 4-wheeling for the day.  We moved a little further and then stopped for lunch.  Took a pretty good break and really enjoyed the wonderful surroundings and great weather.

After lunch we headed on down the road and took a more direct route back to Plomosa Rd. and headed back to camp.  Good time had by all.

Photos below.

Attachments

• Bouse Fisherman (Small).jpg
    Bouse Fisherman (Small).jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 78
  • Bouse Fisherman Site (Small).jpg
    Bouse Fisherman Site (Small).jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 82
  • Dreaded Jumping Cholla Cactus (Small).jpg
    Dreaded Jumping Cholla Cactus (Small).jpg
    94 KB · Views: 72
  • Typical Desert View (Small).jpg
    Typical Desert View (Small).jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 74
  • Climb to the mine - Four Peaks Trail (Small).jpg
    Climb to the mine - Four Peaks Trail (Small).jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 74
  • Four Peaks from adjacent hill (Small).jpg
    Four Peaks from adjacent hill (Small).jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 71
  • Lunch along Four Peaks Trail (Small).jpg
    Lunch along Four Peaks Trail (Small).jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 91
Ron from Big D said:
Went a few miles further and stopped in the Plomosa Mountains at the site of the Intaglia or Bouse Fisherman.  It included a short walk in to the site.  We then departed and drove into Bouse and stopped at the Museum, which was open today. 

For those who have previously visited the Intaglio site, our visit was quite a disappointment. Nearly all of the colored stones that made the intaglio were gone, leaving just a scrapping in the ground of the outline. A real sad commentary on the respect of people to history and art.

By noonish, we departed and headed off-road into the Plomosa Mountains and the Four Peaks area.  ...We moved a little further and then stopped for lunch.  Took a pretty good break and really enjoyed the wonderful surroundings and great weather.

This lunch break had to be the longest that I have remembered on any trip out of QZ. We must have sat and talked and enjoyed the desert for a couple of hours, with no thought of hurrying back. A great group of travelers and my apologies for my cardinal misdirection.

Bernie,

I'm really sad and mad to hear what happened to the Intaglio!! :mad:  I'm sure they'll never find out who did it but my guess are young people who no longer are brought up to show respect to anyone or anything.

The group wanted to wave hello to everyone from here in Quartzsite -- and to let you know that we miss you . . .

Have also posted a few more shots from the show. Note how the overflow parking goes out into the Tyson Wash. Amazing how many 2 wheel drive vehicles will try that and get stuck in the sand. A fellow was there the other day making a fortune pulling them out. :)

A favorite vendor of many is the Ice Cream stand -- and the huge cones or dishes one can buy there.

Inside the tent there are vendors selling everything from resort memberships to sewer hoses.

The "ribs" stand just inside the entrance is also a big favorite.

Tom, Ron, Joel -- I sure appreciate your positive comments on my photography. Jim, it's not too late to catch a flight out here -- we'll pick you up in Phoenix . . .

Attachments

• GroupWavingHello.jpg
    GroupWavingHello.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 110
  • OverflowParkingInTheWash.jpg
    OverflowParkingInTheWash.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 96
  • ShowEntrance(2).jpg
    ShowEntrance(2).jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 84
  • Vendor(ribs).jpg
    Vendor(ribs).jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 84
  • Vendor(message).jpg
    Vendor(message).jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 81
  • Vendor(IceCream).jpg
    Vendor(IceCream).jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 78
Thanks, Bob.  We really enjoy seeing the pictures.  Brings back wonderful memories of years past.

I *really* like the way the thumbnails display now.  So fast!  And they stay open so that I can expand them all, then call Tom over to view them.

Margi

Bob,

Thanks for the offer. We appreciate it but I'm afraid it just won't happen. We will get out there sometime again!!! :)

This was our first visit to the Bouse Fisherman Intaglio and we really enjoyed seeing it. We had seen the Blythe Intaglios several years ago. I don't know what the Bouse one used to look like, but if there were colored rocks filling in the intaglio, I suspect it was archaeologists who removed them. The flyer I picked up about the intaglio says that intaglios are created when the Indians "removed the dark desert pavement stones and dug their design deeper into the light colored soil beneath." I think the intalgio now probably looks like the original. The Blythe ones look like this, too.

Thanks to Ron M and Bernie for leading and tail gunning and to the rest of the group for a great trip and a wonderful, relaxing lunch break.

Wendy

Wendy,

You may be correct but I doubt any Archeologists would have removed the stones. They have been there and, as you know, protected by a fence from wheeled vehicles. If they were intentionally moved they should have put up a sign indicating this. Just MHO.

Back
Top Bottom