Quartzsite 2008 Pictures

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
After seeing wha the BLM did to the lead mining town at Castle Rock nothing would surprise me.  Besides just how does anybody know what was there originally. 

"...I'm sure they'll never find out who did it but my guess are young people who no longer are brought up to show respect to anyone or anything..."

There's a statement not based on any fact.  A possibly unfair assumption.

Keith,

Possibly unfair but 90% of the people in that area are retired. Sure, they could do it but I haven't met anyone yet in the many trips to QZ that I would suspect of doing something like that. My guess would be it happened during the summer when there's hardly anyone there. Again, an assumption on my part and not necessarily true. Just my thoughts.

wendycoke said:
The flyer I picked up about the intaglio says that intaglios are created when the Indians "removed the dark desert pavement stones and dug their design deeper into the light colored soil beneath." I think the intalgio now probably looks like the original. The Blythe ones look like this, too.

Wendy, every intaglio I have seen in really isolated spots in California have been created exactly that way.  The desert pavement stones protect the surrounding surface and the area picked clear gets preserved by the winds scouring it clean.  They evidently can last for centuries that way.  Things can really last in the desert.  I have seen US Cavalry bivouacs in the area that date from the 1870-80s at which the galvanized steel picket pins for the horses are still in one piece where the troopers stuck them in the ground.

Carl L said:
Wendy, every intaglio I have seen in really isolated spots in California have been created exactly that way.  The desert pavement stones protect the surrounding surface and the area picked clear gets preserved by the winds scouring it clean.   They evidently can last for centuries that way. 

Same for the ones I've seen. Which is why I said I think the Bouse intaglio probably looks now like it did originally and any colored rocks that used to be there were not part of the original. An archaeologist friend said that people used to cover the original desert soil with stones to protect the soil underneath and that maybe that's what the colored stones were....protected the soil underneath but still let you see the pattern. Or someone added the colored stones to make the intaglio more visible. But, as far as archaeologists know, that's not how they were originally.

Here are just a few pics of folks filling up their plates at Saturdays Potluck.
Mike

Attachments

• potluck-1.jpg
    potluck-1.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 57
  • potluck-2.jpg
    potluck-2.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 69
  • potluck-3.jpg
    potluck-3.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 64
Have attached a low res copy of our 2008 QZ rally group picture. Quite a few members came early and left early so were not included. Other members came late and were in the pic -- while others may have been here but absent during the time of the group shot. So the pic is probably short 10 to 15 that were here at the rally site at one time or another.

Last year we were blessed with bright sunshine on the day of our pot luck and group picture, whereas this year a pretty hefty storm was arriving -- so we had overcast skies that worsened at the time of the group shot. That gave us a rather drab background ski vs. the sunshine we had last  year.  However, we "did" have a great day for the potluck compared to today (Sunday). Last night and so far today we are having rain. The outdoor vendors at the big show are bailing out (both from a leaving and removing water standpoint). The good news is that a lot of bargains are to be had.

Click HERE for a higher res copy of the group pic. I have included a copy of the attached pic plus about a 9 or so meg TIFF file of the group pic. Both are in a ZIP file for download. No user name or password required, and no constraints of usage are involved.

Attachments

• QZ2008Rally.jpg
    QZ2008Rally.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 74
The Leftover Supper -

11 of the last 13 left here at the Forum site in Quartzsite had dinner at Grubstake tonight....great food, great company. Wally and Helaine, Ron and Shirley M, Rolf and Shirley, Bob B, Mike and Wendy, Bud and Dixie. (John and MaryAnn haven't left yet but were in Phoenix for the day and missed out). The campfire is now burning. It was another beautiful Quartzsite day and all of you who left should be sorry you missed it.

Unitl next year................

Attachments

• Grubstake1.jpg
    Grubstake1.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 51
  • Grubstake2.jpg
    Grubstake2.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 46
  • Grubstake3.jpg
    Grubstake3.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 46
  • Grubstake4.jpg