rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Quartzsite 2008 Pictures  (Read 13332 times)

Bob Buchanan

• ---
    • RV Space Manager reservation SW <c>
Quartzsite 2008 Pictures
« on: January 21, 2008, 10:15:52 PM »
Am starting separate topic for those taking pictures during the rally. It takes me some time to edit the pictures I do -- and with my working at the show as well as nursing my new bionic hip, please excuse my getting a bit behind in getting stuff posted.

This first group covers a few taken as I entered the RV Show on day one, then of Jerry & Ardra coming to our Happy Hour on Monday, the Happy Hour group getting started around the campfire, and a few shots of our newer members. Some new members may be with other members as well. I hope the titles of each will describe what you see until I can muster up the energy to be more thorough in my descriptions . . .

Hope what I have hastily shot so far depicts what a great group of RV Forum members and guests have arrived so far at our Quartzsite rally. I look forward to pics taken by other members here soon.

Bob (fulltimer - Rocklin, CA residency)
Current Location
My Photo Album
Business Website

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
Re: Quartzsite 2008 Pictures
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 10:24:01 PM »
Thanks for posting the photos Bob.  Looks like things are getting under way.
Ron & Sam-home is where we park it. Currently located   HERE

Jim Dick

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 08:17:47 AM »
Bob,

Love looking at the photos but it sure makes me sad not to be there.
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2000 American Dream 40' DP
2012 GMC Terrain
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50T Motorcycle
http://photo.net/photos/jimdick

joelmyer

• ---
  • Joel (W4JNM) and Camille, GA
    • The Retirement Saga
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 04:34:14 PM »
Great pictures Bob, really brings back some memories.

And I love the thumbnail bit, the pictures show up inline with one click!

Joel
Joel (W4JNM) and Camille, GA

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
  • Celebrating 25 years of The RV Forum online.
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 05:42:39 PM »
And I love the thumbnail bit, the pictures show up inline with one click!

Joel, here's the story on the thumbnails.
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

joelmyer

• ---
  • Joel (W4JNM) and Camille, GA
    • The Retirement Saga
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 06:44:59 PM »
Yes Tom I saw the blurb.

Agree with your logic not to allow inbedded pictures - I've seen them abused.

Bob's post is a perfect example of pictures done right - perfectly sized and I can choose to see them inline or not.

Joel
Joel (W4JNM) and Camille, GA

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
  • Celebrating 25 years of The RV Forum online.
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 06:50:03 PM »
Bob sure takes outstanding photos, and I can only sit and look in awe at the results.
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

Ron from Big D

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2008, 08:55:09 PM »
Today we went on an Off-Road trip north to Bouse, AZ and then on to the Four Peaks Trail.

We departed about 10:15am with 5 vehicles.  As usual, we had Bernie & Marlene Dobrin playing Tail Gunner for the group.  We headed north on 95 and turned NE at Plomosa Road.  A few miles down the road we made a stop at the monument to the WACS or Women's Air Corp..  Went a few miles further and stopped in the Plomosa Mountains at the site of the Intaglia or Bouse Fisherman.  It included a short walk in to the site.  We then departed and drove into Bouse and stopped at the Museum, which was open today.  The woman there was extremely knowledgeable about the areas mining, military past and local color.

By noonish, we departed and headed off-road into the Plomosa Mountains and the Four Peaks area.  Our first stop was at a mine site up a steep climb.  Everyone except Marlene took the trek.  At that point the group was wanting to eat.  We decided to move further down the road to have lunch.  Jerry and Ardra turned around and headed back to camp.  Jerry had enough 4-wheeling for the day.  We moved a little further and then stopped for lunch.  Took a pretty good break and really enjoyed the wonderful surroundings and great weather.

After lunch we headed on down the road and took a more direct route back to Plomosa Rd. and headed back to camp.  Good time had by all.

Photos below.

Ron from Big D
Staff
Artist/Photographer
http://picasaweb.google.com/remarabito

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2008, 09:01:57 PM »
Thanks for the report and photos Ron.  Sounds like an enjoyable trip.

BernieD

• ---
    • PressurePro
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2008, 09:55:23 PM »
Went a few miles further and stopped in the Plomosa Mountains at the site of the Intaglia or Bouse Fisherman.  It included a short walk in to the site.  We then departed and drove into Bouse and stopped at the Museum, which was open today. 

For those who have previously visited the Intaglio site, our visit was quite a disappointment. Nearly all of the colored stones that made the intaglio were gone, leaving just a scrapping in the ground of the outline. A real sad commentary on the respect of people to history and art.

By noonish, we departed and headed off-road into the Plomosa Mountains and the Four Peaks area.  ...We moved a little further and then stopped for lunch.  Took a pretty good break and really enjoyed the wonderful surroundings and great weather.

This lunch break had to be the longest that I have remembered on any trip out of QZ. We must have sat and talked and enjoyed the desert for a couple of hours, with no thought of hurrying back. A great group of travelers and my apologies for my cardinal misdirection.
Bernie & Marlene Dobrin
Home is Goodyear, AZ
Missing our Travel Supreme

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2008, 09:59:51 PM »
It really is too bad that there are distructive people out there that have no respect for anything.

Jim Dick

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2008, 09:31:27 AM »
Bernie,

I'm really sad and mad to hear what happened to the Intaglio!! >:(  I'm sure they'll never find out who did it but my guess are young people who no longer are brought up to show respect to anyone or anything.
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2012 GMC Terrain

Bob Buchanan

• ---
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2008, 11:13:10 AM »
The group wanted to wave hello to everyone from here in Quartzsite -- and to let you know that we miss you . . .

Have also posted a few more shots from the show. Note how the overflow parking goes out into the Tyson Wash. Amazing how many 2 wheel drive vehicles will try that and get stuck in the sand. A fellow was there the other day making a fortune pulling them out. :)

A favorite vendor of many is the Ice Cream stand -- and the huge cones or dishes one can buy there.

Inside the tent there are vendors selling everything from resort memberships to sewer hoses.

The "ribs" stand just inside the entrance is also a big favorite.

Tom, Ron, Joel -- I sure appreciate your positive comments on my photography. Jim, it's not too late to catch a flight out here -- we'll pick you up in Phoenix . . .
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 12:09:10 PM by Bob Buchanan »
Current Location
My Photo Album
Business Website

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2008, 11:29:43 AM »
Thanks for posting the update and great photos of the QZ rally.  Looks like quite a gathering as usual.

Tom and Margi

• ---
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2008, 11:44:58 AM »
Thanks, Bob.  We really enjoy seeing the pictures.  Brings back wonderful memories of years past.

I *really* like the way the thumbnails display now.  So fast!  And they stay open so that I can expand them all, then call Tom over to view them.

Margi

Jim Johnson

• ---
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2008, 02:18:07 PM »
I *really* like the way the thumbnails display now

Me too, Margi.  A lot more friendly.
Jim

Jim & Tarry Johnson

Jim Dick

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2008, 03:31:20 PM »
Bob,

Thanks for the offer. We appreciate it but I'm afraid it just won't happen. We will get out there sometime again!!! :)
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2012 GMC Terrain

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2008, 09:38:49 PM »
This was our first visit to the Bouse Fisherman Intaglio and we really enjoyed seeing it. We had seen the Blythe Intaglios several years ago. I don't know what the Bouse one used to look like, but if there were colored rocks filling in the intaglio, I suspect it was archaeologists who removed them. The flyer I picked up about the intaglio says that intaglios are created when the Indians "removed the dark desert pavement stones and dug their design deeper into the light colored soil beneath." I think the intalgio now probably looks like the original. The Blythe ones look like this, too.

Thanks to Ron M and Bernie for leading and tail gunning and to the rest of the group for a great trip and a wonderful, relaxing lunch break.

Wendy
Wendy and Mike
~We can't be lost because we don't care where we're going~
2015 Allegro Ooen Road
1973 Sunshine Yellow VW Bug

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2008, 09:43:51 PM »
Sounded like a great trip.  Lot to see out there in the desert.  Any plans to visit the old mercury mine.

Jim Dick

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2008, 10:03:52 AM »
Wendy,

You may be correct but I doubt any Archeologists would have removed the stones. They have been there and, as you know, protected by a fence from wheeled vehicles. If they were intentionally moved they should have put up a sign indicating this. Just MHO.
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2012 GMC Terrain

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2008, 10:34:37 AM »
After seeing wha the BLM did to the lead mining town at Castle Rock nothing would surprise me.  Besides just how does anybody know what was there originally. 

Gottasmilealot

• ---
  • 1995 Sunline T-2053
    • 1995 Sunline T-2053; 1998 Dodge Dakota 4WD
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2008, 06:58:37 PM »
"...I'm sure they'll never find out who did it but my guess are young people who no longer are brought up to show respect to anyone or anything..."

There's a statement not based on any fact.  A possibly unfair assumption.
Keith

Jim Dick

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2008, 09:01:10 PM »
Keith,

Possibly unfair but 90% of the people in that area are retired. Sure, they could do it but I haven't met anyone yet in the many trips to QZ that I would suspect of doing something like that. My guess would be it happened during the summer when there's hardly anyone there. Again, an assumption on my part and not necessarily true. Just my thoughts.
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2012 GMC Terrain

Carl L

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2008, 11:12:11 PM »
The flyer I picked up about the intaglio says that intaglios are created when the Indians "removed the dark desert pavement stones and dug their design deeper into the light colored soil beneath." I think the intalgio now probably looks like the original. The Blythe ones look like this, too.

Wendy, every intaglio I have seen in really isolated spots in California have been created exactly that way.  The desert pavement stones protect the surrounding surface and the area picked clear gets preserved by the winds scouring it clean.   They evidently can last for centuries that way.   Things can really last in the desert.   I have seen US Cavalry bivouacs in the area that date from the 1870-80s at which the galvanized steel picket pins for the horses are still in one piece where the troopers stuck them in the ground.
Carl L/LA   [Forum Staff]  KI6SEZ

Prowler 23LV TT pulled by a '95 Ford Bronco

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2008, 08:12:39 PM »
Wendy, every intaglio I have seen in really isolated spots in California have been created exactly that way.  The desert pavement stones protect the surrounding surface and the area picked clear gets preserved by the winds scouring it clean.   They evidently can last for centuries that way. 

Same for the ones I've seen. Which is why I said I think the Bouse intaglio probably looks now like it did originally and any colored rocks that used to be there were not part of the original. An archaeologist friend said that people used to cover the original desert soil with stones to protect the soil underneath and that maybe that's what the colored stones were....protected the soil underneath but still let you see the pattern. Or someone added the colored stones to make the intaglio more visible. But, as far as archaeologists know, that's not how they were originally.
Wendy and Mike
2015 Allegro Ooen Road

MikeCoke

• ---
Re: Quartzsite 2008 Pictures Potluck
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2008, 01:20:31 PM »
Here are just a few pics of folks filling up their plates at Saturdays Potluck.
Mike
Mike, Wendy & Ralph Wendy's Guide Dog a Yellow Lab
2015 Tiffin Allegro 31SA with Inverter, Generator & Solar Panels
Toad 1973 Yellow VW Beetle
Retired NPS Ranger

Bob Buchanan

• ---
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2008, 03:15:12 PM »
Have attached a low res copy of our 2008 QZ rally group picture. Quite a few members came early and left early so were not included. Other members came late and were in the pic -- while others may have been here but absent during the time of the group shot. So the pic is probably short 10 to 15 that were here at the rally site at one time or another.

Last year we were blessed with bright sunshine on the day of our pot luck and group picture, whereas this year a pretty hefty storm was arriving -- so we had overcast skies that worsened at the time of the group shot. That gave us a rather drab background ski vs. the sunshine we had last  year.  However, we "did" have a great day for the potluck compared to today (Sunday). Last night and so far today we are having rain. The outdoor vendors at the big show are bailing out (both from a leaving and removing water standpoint). The good news is that a lot of bargains are to be had.

Click HERE for a higher res copy of the group pic. I have included a copy of the attached pic plus about a 9 or so meg TIFF file of the group pic. Both are in a ZIP file for download. No user name or password required, and no constraints of usage are involved.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 03:29:18 PM by Bob Buchanan »
Current Location
My Photo Album
Business Website

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2008, 03:28:20 PM »
Thanks for posting the group phota and making it available.  Looks like a great group.

Barb

• ---
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2008, 10:04:10 AM »
Is there any forum members still gonna be in Q for the Classic Car show?

Barb

Barb
2003 NRV Tradewinds LTC
2011 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2008, 08:52:14 PM »
The Leftover Supper -

11 of the last 13 left here at the Forum site in Quartzsite had dinner at Grubstake tonight....great food, great company. Wally and Helaine, Ron and Shirley M, Rolf and Shirley, Bob B, Mike and Wendy, Bud and Dixie. (John and MaryAnn haven't left yet but were in Phoenix for the day and missed out). The campfire is now burning. It was another beautiful Quartzsite day and all of you who left should be sorry you missed it.

Unitl next year................
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 10:31:41 PM by wendycoke »
Wendy and Mike
2015 Allegro Ooen Road