Where's my power converter??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hoorders

Hi everyone,

Excuse the rather silly question (im very new to RV'ing....haven't actually used our TT yet)

I had the our TT plugged into 110v in the driveway to check everything out.....and it seems like everything works, lights, bathroom fan, radio, A/C, etc.......it got me thinking that there must be a power converter somewhere but I have no idea where it could be.

Where are they 'normally' located in TT.....its a 25ft Salem Lite by Forest River.

Thanks very much.

The power converter could be located almost anywhere. :) I've found them under a sofa, behind a drawer in the galley and sometimes in a bedroom. You'll just have to start looking behind things and hopefully you'll find it quickly. You might try contacting the manufacturer and see if they can point you in the right direction. They may also put a partition around the converter to keep people from storing stuff and blocking air flow. It should be open enough to get air. You could also listen for a fan if the batteries are charging. It won't be loud but you might hear it when you get close.

When all is very quiet in the trailer, say late at night, you will probably hear a low hum from the converter. That should help you locate it. It has to be plugged in, of course, for it to hum.

On a 25 footer, another clue is where the shore power cord enters the trailer.  The converter is liable to be near that point.  You also can locate it by tracing the positive battery cable back if possible.

RV Roamer said:
When all is very quiet in the trailer, say late at night, you will probably hear a low hum from the converter. That should help you locate it. It has to be plugged in, of course, for it to hum.

This would have worked on every camper I have owned!  In my pop-ups, it was in the bottom of benches in the dining area.  In my first travel trailer, it was under the refrigerator.  In my class C, it is under the rear queen bed.  In my park trailer, it is under the bathroom sink.  In all of them, there was/is a hum!

On a 25 footer, another clue is where the shore power cord enters the trailer.  The converter is liable to be near that point.  You also can locate it by tracing the positive battery cable back if possible.

That would not have worked on my 25 foot fifth wheel (Fleetwood Wilderness). The converter was under the fridge on the curb side, the battery in the front left corner (roadside) and the power cord about mid way on the road side. Screwy set up, but that is about par for the course in RVs  The converter is often near the ac power cord if it is integrated with the load center (circuit breakers), but not if the converter is a separate box.

RV Roamer said:

Yep, the huuummm will get you every time. ;D My problem is I usually can't hear it!!! :)

Can't hear the hum on mine, because it's almost outside (kinda half-in, half-out).  Located under the middle entryway step, in a "cage" of sorts that's protected from the elements to some degree.  I found it because there was a wire running out & up to a small wall-mounted controller.

Careful running the A/C too long on 110v household current... most extension cords are not built for the amperage that an A/C demands and can overheat easily.

All great clues everyone......thanks.

My shore power comes out dead centre in the rear of the trailer.......the cable ends up near/under the kitchen sink when its all inside and the circuit breakers are located right below the fridge which is also on the back wall of the trailer.........so thats where im going to check............hopefully its back there somewhere and easily accessible.......not that I have to replace it but it would be nice to know that if I did, I wouldn't have to pull half the trailer apart to get to it.

Cheers!!

Ddub5:  Note that your reply was to a 2008 topic. They likely found the converter by now!! 8) But Welcome to the group anyway!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom