Advice needed for satellite service

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fulltiming

Base is in Louisiana... but most time we could be
I have wanted a satellite dish for the last few years but my hubby has not.  We camp many times for long periods where cable TV is not available.  At those times we make do with the antenna, getting 3 snowy channels.  Of course he has, during these times, grumbled about missing his football games, while I kept telling him a satellite would solve his problem.  Well, now the government is forcing a decision on my hubby since the "antenna only places" will mean no TV at all next year. 

Now the question is, which provider will give us the most coverage when we travel all over the USA?  We are undecided about a roof mount, or a free standing one but do know we want one that finds the signal automatically.  I would like some input from all you knowledgeable people as to DishTV or DirectTV, which would give the best coverage when we travel, which is the better deal for the monthly cost, or any other advice for questions I may not have thought to ask.  One concern is, with a roof mount we may be hampered by trees, and also leaks by adding a roof mount dish.  I have looked at the Camping World products, but we have not had a good experience with Camping World installing a new awning, so we are hesitant to trust them installing a roof mount dish.

Thanks in advance for any advice given.

I don't think coverage area would be a concern. You should be able to get either one from almost anywhere providing you have a clear view of the southern sky. I have Dish Network with a manual dish and it works good for me. I think Direct TV might be a little easier to set up because they use only one satellite whereas Dish Network uses two so that might be an advantage for Direct TV. The other thing that is a little easier with Direct TV is their national network system but I don't have that so someone else might be better at explaining it than me. Cost wise I don't think there is much difference. Good luck with whichever one you choose.

First, you won't lose over the air TV next year, just the analog TV.  All TV will be digital, and your old TV will work just fine with a converter.  The government will even give you a coupon worth $40 toward the converter price.

Second, if you want an automatic satellite TV antenna, your only option is a roof mount.  Any tripod mount will need to be pointed manually.  We have only twice in 11 years had to camp where we couldn't use our roof mount, and in one case we used a portable antenna and the other the park cable system.

As for DirecTV or Dish, it's your choice after comparing programming (they are very similar) and the available receivers.  Either will work throughout the continental US.

As Bill mentioned, coverage for either will basically be the same. There might be a slight difference if you go too far north or south in North America but either will work well within the 48 contiguous states. I haven't paid much attention to pricing but the programming is pretty standard and I expect the pricing is as well. You should be able to get whatever channels you want with either system. We started with DISH but switched to Direct because DISH was changing things around which I didn't like. That was several years ago so I'm guessing they have settled down pretty well.

If you want a motorized dish then it will have to be a roof mount. Yes, there will be times when you can't get a signal due to trees. I, and many others, carry a portable dish for those occasions. Setting up a portable is fairly easy if you have the "marriage saver". It's a small meter that is attached to the RF line between the dish and the receiver. It makes finding the satellite much easier and you don't have to yell back and forth at each other. :)

I would strongly suggest getting TIVO or whatever the newer version is called today. That allows you to record programs when you may not be around to watch them live. In fact, once you start using it you probably will never watch live TV again! Also get the dual LNB. With that you can record two programs at once while still watching a previously recorded program. Today the satellite companies have lots of offers which sometimes end up with you getting the equipment for free!

Now don't show this part to your husband but there will be a conversion box available for all TV's that will allow them to work after the networks go digital. It'll be less expensive since the government is paying for part of it but it won't provide a much better signal. I definitely would go with satellite.

First this post is divided into parts. The first parts are talking about "Standard Deffinaton" or NTSC or old fashion televison. Later I'll do the new ATSC or Hi-Def stuff

Which provider will give better coverage: I'm not sure, Theory Gives the advantage to Direc but Theory has a nasty habit of failing to survive an encounter with Facts..

The reason is Direc SD is broadcast on a bird that is located at 101 Degrees West, roughly south of Kansas,  Dish on a pair of birds at 110 and 119, South of Arizona and California coast    Also this affects your antenna choices, I'm going to assume a ground mount. Many folks find the Solo LNB of a DIRECtv antenna to be easier to point.. I'm not sure.  Here in Michigan I can't point a TV antenna. do well with the internet dish though.  When I'm out west I can find most any of the birds (Trees are the problem here by the way)

Now, HDTV.  Dish uses 3 birds, all in what is called the Ku band (Note, Direc's 101 is a Ku bird too) I think 127 is the additional bird, till farther west.

Direc uses, currently FIVE birds, 101, 110 and 119 in the Ku band and  pair either side of 101 in the Ka band. This makes the dish pointing a bit more critical as the Ka band is different.

However, when all is done they I suspect they will drop the two 110/119 birds since they Lease those transponders from. of all folks, Dish (or it's parent Echostar)

Antenna considerations: Ground mount (Tripod) don't worry about them, Period
Roof mount, Automatic dishes: Get the antenna that matches your service and level and don't worry
Roof Mount, Automatic or in-motion domes.  Direc TV, Standard defination One or two receivers, or a DVR,  Dish Standard or HD but only with a SINGLE receiver only, no 2nd receiver, no DVR

Note that when tv goes all digital, those snowy screens will likely go away and be replaced with crystal clear digital signals. With digital, you get either a nice picture or nothing - essentially nothing in between. Most tv stations are no broadcasting both analog and digital - you might get a digital converter box and try it (or buy a new tv with an ATSC tuner built in). You  will be amazed at the improvement in picture quality with digital. We have almost zero analog reception at our home base in Florida's Ocala National Forest, but can get several digital channels on the motorhome's batwing antenna

Eastern campgrounds tend to have a lot of trees and satellite can be iffy on many of the campsites. It doesn't take much to block a satellite signal. So check out your favorite campground before deciding to go with satellite.

The others have given sufficient advice on choice of satellite providers, so I won't repeat it.

Hi Fulltiming,

Welcome to the RV Forum.  It sounds like you'll be traveling all around the U.S. and probably Canada.  That being the case, DirecTV will have an edge.  As an RVer you will be able to subscribe to east (NY) and west (LA) coast feeds (you'll have to provide relevant RV information to get it).  You'll want this if you're on one coast or the other because of the three time zone changes and to get weather reports closer to your actual location.  This is not available on Dish.  Additionally, if you have both feeds you have the added advantage of seeing shows on either channel at a specific time.  This is good when you have two shows you want to see that are on at the same time (watch one at 6 and one at 9).  Now someone has mentioned TIVO which will negate this problem.  If that's what you want, fine.  We prefer to watch shows when they're on and not have them stack up to watch later (kind of like having several VCR tapes stacked up) so we've never gotten TIVO and don't want it.  Each to their own...  ;)

The other primary difference between DirecTV and Dish is that Dish "may" be more sports oriented (it used to be but I don't know if it still is).  In either case, you'll have to look at their list of available channels and see what option packages will provide the channels you want and what you'll have to pay for the various options.  A member of my family recently got basic Dish and we think we have more basic channels with DirecTV.  Although Dish has given her good service (I've also heard horror stories), she actually meant to call DirecTV and dialed wrong.  Dish was unwilling to break her 18-month contract, so buyer beware.  We also really like the onscreen TV guide.  Once you have satellite TV you won't want to go back to the cable guide which only shows current programs.  With DirecTV you can go days out into the future to see what will be on.

As to trees, yes we occasionally have to "make do" with either cable or through-the-air TV but usually we can move a foot or two and correct the problem (we've even changed sites).  We often look in the Trailer Life campground directory and see what it says about the sites at a particular campground.  If it says "most sites shaded" then you're more likely to have tree blocking issues than if it says "some sites shaded."  Some campgrounds have a lot of trees but they're small and the roof-mounted satellite dish doesn't have a problem seeing over them.  OTOH, if they're huge old oak trees then you might not be able to get a signal.  We've been surprised more than once, either because we couldn't get a signal when we thought we should or because we got one when we didn't think we'd have a chance.  When you check into a campground ask for a site that doesn't have trees.

By all means, if you're going to be a fulltimer and can afford it, get the roof-mounted automatic dish.  We've had each kind and LOVE the current (roof automatic) one.  We have a MotoSat box where we push a button to "Find" or push another button to "Stow."  It's SO much easier than the manual thing.  Even when we had the manual dishes we sometimes couldn't find a good line-of-sight for a signal, so it's almost a non-issue.  The farther north you go (e.g., Canada, Alaska) and the farther east or west you go (e.g., Newfoundland, Alaska) the more likely you are to lose your signal because of the placement of the satellites around the Equator.  The curvature of the earth means you simply leave the beam from the satellite when you go too far in one direction or the other.  Also, don't forget that you'll probably have more than one TV in the motorhome, one up front, one in the bedroom, and perhaps even one in an underbay.  You'll want enough coax cables down from the roof-mounted dish to accomodate each TV that is to have satellite reception.

Finally, because of the upcoming changes in analog vs digital TV signals, I highly recommend getting HDTV-ready television sets.  We didn't think we'd see much difference between "regular" vs digital TV, but needed to buy a new set and we really like the HDTV much better.  So much so that we now also have one in the motorhome.  The pictures are significantly improved.  In our local area we can get the major networks in either analog, digital, or high def and when we jump between the same networks we really can see the improvement.  So HDTV far exceeded our expectations.

It sounds like you're off to a wonderful adventure.  Do check in when you have other questions and let us know how you're doing.

ArdraF

Jim Dick said:
If you want a motorized dish then it will have to be a roof mount.

Maybe not, Jim . . .

The Vu Qube was originally designed for truckers, but they are now going after the RV market -- tailgaters and mobile of any kind. The V10 get its energy down the coax so a power cable is not needed. The remote is wireless for either Dish or Direct. The V20 is fully automatic -- just push a button. You can buy them at the RVShow in QZ, Camping World, and many other Sat outlets. HERE is their website.

Bob Buchanan said:
Maybe not, Jim . . .

The Vu Qube was originally designed for truckers, but they are now going after the RV market -- tailgaters and mobile of any kind. The V10 get its energy down the coax so a power cable is not needed. The remote is wireless for either Dish or Direct. The V20 is fully automatic -- just push a button. You can buy them at the RVShow in QZ, Camping World, and many other Sat outlets. HERE is their website.

Hi Bob

Learn something new everyday! I do see a problem. It says it must be used with a single tuner receiver. I take that to mean a single LNB which leaves many of us out since we use dual LNBs. Looks like they have the beginnings of a nice system but still need some refinements.

Single LNB: One lense (Hockey puck) one output
Dual LNB: one lense, TWO outputs
TWIN Lnb, Two Hockey Pucks, Two Outputs, (Special case Dish-Pro, 2 outputs and an input)

And it goes up from there Tripple, Quad, Pent, ... Up to OCTal. (8) have not seen a nine head advertised yet.

The Vu-Cube is indeed a single solo LNB, however with proper controls it is possible that it might be able to act like a twin or triple (Dish 500 or 1,000) but only with a SINGLE receiver  It is just like a roof top DOME antenna in this regard (Though some domes are duals, one LNB, 2 outputs)

Jim Dick said:
Hi Bob

Learn something new everyday! I do see a problem. It says it must be used with a single tuner receiver. I take that to mean a single LNB which leaves many of us out since we use dual LNBs. Looks like they have the beginnings of a nice system but still need some refinements.

I agree Jim.  Looks like it wpi;d be awhile before we would consider it for the reasons you mentioned.

Jim Dick said:

The manufacturer found a niche market that seems to be working -- for now. I chatted w/a number of vendors at the QZ show, plus a number of RVers that were checking it out. This thing weighs about 10 pounds, and comes w/a carrying handle. I have a single LNB dish and small tripod in the back of my Jeep as a quickie backup on those times when my rig is under a tree and I just want to get by until in the AM. If my neighbor and I are in the same boat and he has a Vu Qube -- I will be out in the rain screwing around with a meter and all that junk, while he is sitting in his recliner with the wireless remote in one hand and a glass of wine in the other. Or, if he has the fully auto system, he'll have wine in both hands. He "does" have to pick it up by the handle, set it on the ground, and push on a quick release connector. As long as he is within 10 degrees or so of level he is Good to Go.

The biggest topic questioning the unit was thief. The handle makes it as easy to steal as it does for the owner to set it up. But again, they are not going after the Dome market. If a camper or tailgater is concerned, they just go out and put it away after the game or late news. A niche market that does not include the serious RVer.

I saw a number of folk walking out of the big tent with a Vu Qube under their arm -- and would imagine at least 25% will be disappointed when they discover they can either watch a program or record a program -- but not both at the same time.  I also witnessed many more that just walked away after finding out the details. :)

Bob, what were these things selling for?

I went to the site, and I suppose I could dig that out, but it wasn't obvious how to, for me. Also, I suspect they were going cheaper, at your show.

thanks,

Ray D  ;D

Bob,

Theft certainly could be a problem but the manufacturer could alleviate that by not selling the control panel to anyone that wasn't an original buyer. As I said they seem to have a good idea but need to refine it somewhat. With a dual LNB I bet their sales would double!

Thanks everyone for all the responses. 

I knew I could count on answers/suggestions here.  You all have given us a lot to think about.

We are not new to fulltiming, and have been on the go for 6-8 months a year for the last 10 years .  We have visited much of Canada and toured Alaska.  To go back to Alaska some day is on my wish list.  We have seen much of our beautiful country but there is still much of the good ole USA for us to see before we can't travel anymore.

Again, thanks everyone for the responses.

Ray D said:
Bob, what were these things selling for?

I went to the site, and I suppose I could dig that out, but it wasn't obvious how to, for me. Also, I suspect they were going cheaper, at your show.

thanks,

Ray D  ;D

Ray, they sell for around $800, according to where purchased -- such as CW. There wasn't any discount that I could tell at the show. Probably because they are so new vendors felt no one would know the difference.  If installed on a truck, installation fees would be added.

Jim, most feel they would be stolen anyway -- even tho the person stealing hasn't a clue as to what it is. Vendors are working to come up with ways to tie them down, such as umbilical cables.

Back
Top Bottom