What's an 'American RV'?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
We've long known that a travel trailer is known in the UK as a 'caravan'. What I've been learning recently is that what we call a 'class A motorhome' in the U.S. is known in the UK as an 'American RV'. What we would term a 'class C motorhome' is known there simply as a 'motorhome'. I've failed miserably in my attempts to understand the logic behind why a class A motorhome isn't a motorhome, which probably means I've been away from the island nation too long.

There's no logic to it, Tom. It's pure emotion/perception. "American" is synonymous with the grandiose, in size, features, amenities, etc.  Some folks in the UK had "normal" motorhomes and were quite happy. Then some bloke imported this humongous thing and his mates said "Crikey! What's that?"  He said "an American RV" and the name stuck forever more.

LOL Gary, that must have been pre-Paul.

Don't you wish those Brits would learn to speak proper English? :)  (Two nations divided by a common language, I think Churchill said.)

The only problem is in England. Folks in Wales have their own language  ;D

We have our own language in England too................it's called Polish. :eek:

Paul

ROTFL Paul. I've heard all about immigrants taking jobs in the UK and working for low wages. Sounds familiar.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chewys79
Back
Top Bottom