Wagon Ruts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ron,
You are correct, there are a number of ruts in this area of the Oregon trail.  And IIRC, there is a cliff along the Platte River close by where the Pioneers carved their name into the side of the cliff and camped along the river.

Lowell said:
Ron,
You are correct, there are a number of ruts in this area of the Oregon trail.  And IIRC, there is a cliff along the Platte River close by where the Pioneers carved their name into the side of the cliff and camped along the river.

Yep.  Brings back memories.  Having been born and raised in Wyo I have been blessed with seeing much of the historical interests across Wyo.  It is always interesting to stop and see these things when you are in the area and know what is there.

I'm late to this thread, but you can still see wagon ruts where the Chisholm Trail crosses the river in Round Rock, Texas...

Hi Ardra,

I can remember when I was a small boy, my grandmother would tell me stories about how her family left IN and came west. They were in a covered wagon and came west on the Oregon Trail. She described all the abandoned goods along the trail, the grave sites they encountered and how she and her sister climbed and carved their names in Signature Rock. At the time, the Indians had been pretty well pacified and they ended up homesteading near Torrington, WY.

These photos are the Oregon Trail near Scotts Bluff, NE.

Chet18013

Attachments

• P0000393-1.jpg
    P0000393-1.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 30
  • P0000390-1.jpg
    P0000390-1.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 33
You take those photos Chet?  Good shots.  I have one very similar of chimney rock that looks like it was taken from near the same spot.  Have to get those slides out and look again.

Chet, what great photos and a wonderful story!  Have you ever tried to find those signatures?  Years ago I worked with a lady whose aunt drove "out west" to California in a very early car when there were really only trails instead of roads - probably some of those old wagon trails.  She kept a diary of her adventure and it was so neat and fun to read.  It's so nice to have family memories like that.

ArdraF

Ron said:
You take those photos Chet?  Good shots.  I have one very similar of chimney rock that looks like it was taken from near the same spot.  Have to get those slides out and look again.

Ron, yes I did take them with my old Kodak DC290 back in 2000.

ArdraF said:
Chet, what great photos and a wonderful story!  Have you ever tried to find those signatures?  Years ago I worked with a lady whose aunt drove "out west" to California in a very early car when there were really only trails instead of roads - probably some of those old wagon trails.  She kept a diary of her adventure and it was so neat and fun to read.  It's so nice to have family memories like that.

Ardra, no I haven't tried and I understand now that the whole place is fenced off to prevent defacing of the old carvings. Seems folks think they need to keep adding to it or scratch out the old stuff.

Chet18013

Chet, that's a shame and it now happens so often.  :(

ArdraF

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom