Travel Supreme Still Going

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BernieD

To all of our framily who expressed concern about TS's closing last Wednesday, it reopened today as promised. the following appeared in today's RV Business:

"BREAKING NEWS
Travel Supreme Production Up and Running
RV Business
Monday, January 28, 2008

Travel Supreme Inc. said today (Jan. 28) that it is back in production but may not remain at full employment due to
continued softness in the recreational vehicle market.

The Wakarusa, Ind.-based builder of luxury fifth-wheels and motorhomes closed down last Wednesday and told its
around 230 employees not to report back to work until today. Management, including President Glenn Troyer, met
privately this morning before talking to personnel.

The Travel Supreme news was a double whammy for the small, rural town in Elkhart County. On Friday, Coburg,
Ore.-based Monaco Coach Corp. informed workers at its Wakarusa facility that it would be laying off around 200 people.
Other RV companies in the manufacturing-heavy area are reportedly also scaling back on production.

The industry as a whole is feeling the combined effects of volatile gas prices, a meltdown in the finance sector and
plummeting consumer confidence. In a report released today by the Recreation Vehicle Industry Association (RVIA),
wholesale shipments were down 9.5% last year compared to 2006.

Travel Supreme is a family-owned company founded in 1989. The company recently expanded its motorized line with
the introduction of the more affordable Avalon diesel pusher motorhome during last November?s National RV Trade
Show in Louisville, Ky."

Bernie,

Thanks for the report.  Glad they reopened and are still TS!  Didn't know about Monaco either, but not surprised.  Remember the shakeout during the '70s gas crisis?  Let's hope no more close.

ArdraF

Bernie,

Good news about Travel Supreme but things haven't looked good for a couple of years. Sales have been down at work the past two summers. Luckily they sell mostly small travel trailers so there is some movement as many are going to permanent summer sites. I don't expect I'll have to return to work until at least May, if that soon! Won't know for sure until next month when the second winter RV show takes place. I'm betting they didn't do much of anything at the January show.

Good news about TS Bernie.  I am afraid there are going to be a lot of cutbacks and possible closings in the RV industry during the next year or so. 

This was posted on another site this afternoon

A friend called Travel Supreme today and they told him as of now you cannot order a new coach and they are restructuring and will know more in 8-10 weeks. They are not fully staffed.

I heard a whisper that they'd been acquired.

IF TS is aquired hope it is by a company that will honor warranties and provide support on existing coaches like Monaco had done.  Hope it isn't aquired by Thor.  Best of all would be that they are able to continue without being taken over.

National is still go'n too.  We talked to friends that were at the Dolphin rally at Q.  And a announce was made that 40 employees were hired back to work.  And they were being bought out.  And were going to keep the higher end motorhomes going.  No info on the name of the company that's buying them. 

More to come
Barb

Barb said:
National is still go'n too.  We talked to friends that were at the Dolphin rally at Q.  And a announce was made that 40 employees were hired back to work.  And they were being bought out.  And were going to keep the higher end motorhomes going.  No info on the name of the company that's buying them. 

More to come
Barb

That is good news Barb.  Just hope it isn't Thor but a company with the same integrity as Monaco.

Barb said:

More to come
Barb

I don't know what you mean by go'n but seem to be implying they are in business. What I've seen is that Chapter 11 seems to be moving along. The 341a hearing was scheduled for yesterday. The last document filed and posted on web was on 1/14 and consisted of 714 pages of owner warranty obligations. The top sales people Scott Degnan and Niles Whitehouse have moved over to Alfa Leisure as President and Vice -President of Sales respectively. 

Information being posted on the Travel Supreme Owners Forum doesn't look good. Parts are not being shipped, even with a prior credit card authorization. Haven't heard anything from anybody going to the factory for service. Lots of owners offering to subscribe to a stock offering and provide management help. But I don't think any of that will fly. Too bad.

BernieD said:
Information being posted on the Travel Supreme Owners Forum doesn't look good. Parts are not being shipped, even with a prior credit card authorization. Haven't heard anything from anybody going to the factory for service. Lots of owners offering to subscribe to a stock offering and provide management help. But I don't think any of that will fly. Too bad.

Unfortunate they can't keep T/S going.  I am afraid this may not be the last one to have problems.

It figures.  After extensive shopping around I finally find TS River Canyon 36SATSO the one I liked the best.  I was very close to moving ahead when this happened.  I guess it could have been worse.  I could have had one on order.

Rich

Rich

If it isn't a new coach, I wouldn't be too worried, most of the normal new coach issues are probably taken care of and all of the major suppliers still have parts. Get the seller to throw in an extended warranty and you should be OK.

BernieD said:
Rich

If it isn't a new coach, I wouldn't be too worried, most of the normal new coach issues are probably taken care of and all of the major suppliers still have parts. Get the seller to throw in an extended warranty and you should be OK.

As I posted in another thread, the dealer I got info from has three is stock and is preparing a special deal for selling them without warranty. So, I would look like one could get a good deal with minimum risk because all the major components sans coach will be covered i.e.engine ,transmission, chassis, air conditioners, refrigerator, etc.

Back
Top Bottom