creating a bootable backup drive with second internal physical drive

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pat

Tried to get the whole question in the topic. 

I have a second internal drive that I will install in my new computer.  The first drive is 400gb, and the second is 500gb. 

How do I make it a bootable, mirror image of the main hard drive, if something should cause the main drive to fail to function?

I usually use Computer Manager to assign specific drive letters to each device that gets a drive letter.  I have two 250gb  USB drives and an 8gb flash drive, for example.  I've assigned letters to each, so they don't continually swap with each other.  Question is, for this second internal drive, should I not assign specific letters to it, so, in the evenit it becomes the primary drive, it'll automatically revert to C and D? 

My main hard drive has C for all my operating software and D is the "factory image." 

And by the way, I'd hope to be able to copy the factory image drive to the new internal backup drive as well.

Right now the computer has assigned C,D to the main internal drive, and E to the CD drive and F,G,H,I,  to the camera card drives.  I specifically assigned M, P, and S for my backup USB devices.  I'll be interested to see what happens to the gang when I pop in the new drive.  Everything is from HP, and they recommended it for my machine, so I give it a good chance of working.  The drive won't be here for a few days.  I can't think of anything I have that relies on specific drive letters, with the possible exception of some of the CD software, such as InterVideo.  I haven't started playing with some of the audio-visual stuff.

--pat

Don't partition the second drive.  Use an imaging program like Acronis True Image to create an image backup of the first drive.  Then, to boot from the backup drive, change the boot drive in the BIOS if it supports that, or just switch the second drive with the first drive on the cable.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom