Dometic refrigerator recall

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gmsboss1

FWIW, we received a recall notice from Dometic today that applies to refrigerators manufactured between Apri 1997 and May 2003 for installation in recreational vehicles.

The Problem: A fatigue crack can develop in the boiler tube of the identified refrigerators, which can permit the release of pressurized coolant solution.  If this solution is exposed to an ignition source under certain specific circumstances, it can result in a vehicle fire.

Affected Units: ... the following model numbers: NDR1062, RM2652, RM2662, RM2663, RM2852, RM2862, RM3662, RM3663, RM3862, RM3863.

The possibly affected units have serial numbers beginning with the following combinations:

713xxxxx through 752xxxxx
801xxxxx through 852xxxxx
901xxxxx through 952xxxxx
001xxxxx through 052xxxxx
101xxxxx through 152xxxxx
201xxxxx through 252xxxxx
301xxxxx through 319xxxxx

"If you own one of the above units, it requires immediate service and continuing use could pose a potential safety hazard."

The letter advises that if your refrigerator model and serial number are among the above that you call 1-888-446-5157 or go to www.DometicUSA.com to confirm if your refrigerator is affected by the recall.

The following is copied from the Dometic website and pasted here:

Turn the refrigerator off immediately if you notice any of the following indicators:

Leakage or staining at the back of the refrigerator.

Yellow residue at the back or sides of the refrigerator.

The smell of ammonia.

Refrigerator does not properly cool.

Any unit found to have one or more of the characteristics mentioned above MUST be shut down and not operated until the unit is fixed and the recall rework administered.

For any unit that does fall within the recall population, but does not exhibit any of the four indicators mentioned in #1, consider the following:
Do not operate your refrigerator on LP gas. Switching to electric power lowers the incident rate associated with LP gas. If you own a 3-way refrigerator, running the unit on 12-volt power carries the least risk of all. 3-way refrigerators have model numbers that end in "3".

Dometic recommends that the unit not be operated on electric unless absolutely necessary until your unit has been serviced. If you choose to operate your unit on electric prior to the recall rework, you must inspect the burner area weekly for any of the indicators referenced in number 1 above.
Dometic recommends that you turn off the gas valve at the back of your refrigerator. DO NOT, however, attempt to disconnect the gas supply. For instructions on how to turn off the gas valve, click here.

If you must operate your refrigerator on electric, DO NOT operate your refrigerator while in transit or while asleep.
I
f the repair facility fails or is unable to remedy this noncompliance without charge and within a reasonable time, please contact us at the number provided above so we can attempt to resolve the problem. You may also submit a written complaint to the Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 400 Seventh Street, SW, Washington, DC 20590; or call the toll-free Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153); or go to http://www.safercar.gov.

If you previously paid to repair or replace a Dometic refrigerator that failed due to this defect, you can be reimbursed for your costs pursuant to Dometic�s Pre-Notification Reimbursement Program. To be eligible for reimbursement under that Program, you must complete and submit the required form and provide the necessary documentation. The Program and form can be obtained by calling 1-888-446-5157.

The url for this info is:  http://www2.dometicusa.com/recall.php.

The recall number is 06E-076.

Hope your problem is something easier than this.

Good Luck.

Don and Mary Ann (The Navigator) Nesbitt
Cary, NC

Admin edit: Updated link to new recall page.

After seeing the new board on this subject, it sure looks like I duplicated a recall notice that Ron first posted in January, 2007.

My only excuse is that we got our notice from Fleetwood/Dometic in yesterday's mail.........

Don

Don't worry about the duplication Don. Some folks here repeat themselves several times a day.

I don't know if this was posted somewhere else or not, but even if it was I think it justifies being repeated

I just this week recieved a recall notice from Fleetwood that some of the refrigerators in their trailers are being recalled. They are made by a company called Dometic Corp. and could be found in trailers from April 1997 - May 2003. ( I'm sure that covers a LOT of us !! )  Apparently a seal breaks down and leaks propane and is a potential fire hazzard once the ignitor is turned on. NOT a pretty thing at all !!

Here's what I've got for ya ...

The warranty affects the following MODEL numbers
NDR1062

RM2653

RM2662

RM2663

RM2852

RM2862

RM3662

RM3663

RM3862

RM3863

The affected SERIAL numbers begin with the following numbers

713xxxxx - 752xxxxx

801xxxxx - 852xxxxx

901xxxxx - 952xxxxx

001xxxxx - 052xxxxx

101xxxxx - 152xxxxx

201xxxxx - 252xxxxx

301xxxxx - 319xxxxx

If you need to, you can call Domitic to confirm ( or check ) if your refrigerator is affected at 1-888-446-5157, or go to DometicUSA.com and look it up. Keep in mind that you'll need your model number, your serial number, as well as your VIN number

After typing all of that out, I HOPE that I've helped someone out .... LOL !!

Now then, I have a question that I hope someone can help me with. I was given this notice by my trailers former owner ( luckily as my refrigerator is on the list ). How or WHO do I contact so that any new recalls will be sent to ME instead of my trailers previous owner?

Thanks !!

I originally posted this message over in the travel trailer forums thinking that it would be best seen there. Why did you move it over here? I thought it was pretty important and was hopeing that as many people would see it and be as informed as possible. Unless you cruise over here, you'd never see it.  ???

This is our message board for industry news and recalls. We recently opened it so this stuff would be all in one place. This recall isn't limited to Fleetwood products or to trailers; It affects owners of other brands and types of RV.

No need to "cruise over here" if you use the Show unread posts since last visit link near the upper left of the page. That will give you a list of all the new messages with the option to open them individually.

Could be Bruce, although that recall page has a 2008 copyright date. It may be that they've been getting continued failures and either formalized or re-issued the recall notice.

EDIT: Updated link to new recall page.

Back
Top Bottom