EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Tow Bar  (Read 3210 times)

FourEyes45

• ---
Tow Bar
« on: January 30, 2008, 07:49:44 AM »
We will be buying a slide in camper for our 05--4door, short bed 2500 DuraMax Chev. and will be towing a 08-4door Rubicon Jeep out west in June and July.  What type of hitch --towbar do you Guys recommend???
Thanks,
Walter

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
Re: Tow Bar
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 08:48:20 AM »
Your choice, Blue-OX or Roadmaster, both are first rate, so get what your dealer sells.

Make sure the jeep can be towed first

There are three primary styles

1: Straight "A" frame, hooks to a ball hitch (standard trailer hitch) this is the hardest to hook up unless it has telescoping arms (I've never seen one with telescoping arms)

2: Stow on Jeep,  These do have telescoping arms

3: Stow on RV,   LIkewise

Telescoping arms means that the arms telescope in and then lock fully extended when you tow So if you are not exactly positioned you can still hook up, and as soon as you move the RV forward the arms extend and lock, Very nice.

DO NOT FORGET to add a supplemental brake system to the jeep,  I like the US-Gear Unified Brake Decelerator for tow vehicles without air brakes.   
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 09:33:04 AM »
We will be buying a slide in camper for our 05--4door, short bed 2500 DuraMax Chev. and will be towing a 08-4door Rubicon Jeep out west in June and July.  What type of hitch --towbar do you Guys recommend???
Thanks,
Walter

Your Rubicon is towable 4down and instructions are found in the owners manual under Recreational towing.  Personally I prefer the Roadmaster tow bar and that is what we use to pull the Grand Cherokee.

Why not join us at the RV Forum Moab rally in the spring.
Ron & Sam-home is where we park it. Currently located   HERE

BernieD

• ---
    • PressurePro
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 10:43:05 AM »
Walter

I've had both Roadmaster and Blue Ox towbars and have been very satisfied with both. There are also a couple of Demco owners on this Forum who also like their bars. I think that you should go with the unit that will install best on your Jeep, minimal drilling, unobtrusive when not in use, price and servicing dealer if appropriate.
Bernie & Marlene Dobrin
Home is Goodyear, AZ
Missing our Travel Supreme

FourEyes45

• ---
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 07:00:28 PM »
Thanks for the info. We can pick the slidin  up Wed. Took the tool box and the 5th.wheel hitch out today. ::) Now to put the 5th up for sale do not need both.
Have a great and safe weekend.
Walter

Jim Godward

• ---
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2008, 11:09:41 PM »
I use the Demco Excalibar tow bar.  With the latest changes I think it is even better than the Roadmaster which has been my number one choice.
Jim
Jim & Pat Godward
AC7PO & KD7ZDM
Hillsboro, Oregon

Hosted by Over The Network