Buying my first RV tomorrow...1996 Bounder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tonyb2377

Ok I am new here and posted a thread about 2 89 RV's that I was thinking of buying. After careful consideration, I decided to take advantage of the market right now and get something newer. I am buying a 1996 28' Bounder with 460 Ford and 44000 miles. Everything looks good but I will be doing a thorough inspection tomorrow. I am geting this for  $16000, NADA has avg retail at almost $22000. What do you experts think? Here are a couple pics. My wife works for a flooring place so we are getting rid of the carpet and putting down some high end linoleum, hardwood or possibly laminate.

Attachments

• 28T 001.jpg
    28T 001.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 97
  • 28T 002.jpg
    28T 002.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 94
  • 28T 003.jpg
    28T 003.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 93
  • 96 bounder 003.jpg
    96 bounder 003.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 89
tonyb2377 said:
Ok I am new here and posted a thread about 2 89 RV's that I was thinking of buying. After careful consideration, I decided to take advantage of the market right now and get something newer. I am buying a 1996 28' Bounder with 460 Ford and 44000 miles. Everything looks good but I will be doing a thorough inspection tomorrow. I am geting this for  $16000, NADA has avg retail at almost $22000. What do you experts think? Here are a couple pics. My wife works for a flooring place so we are getting rid of the carpet and putting down some high end linoleum, hardwood or possibly laminate.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The closer value to actual sale when using the on-line version of NADA is the low retail without adders which seems to be $13,260.

blueblood said:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The closer value to actual sale when using the on-line version of NADA is the low retail without adders which seems to be $13,260.

So should I be holding out for a lower price? The price with add ons is a little lower than low retail. I want a good fair deal.

My comment was based upon a dealers article I found that said the way to determine trade-in value using the online edition of NADA was to start with low retail without add-ons and then subtract a certain percentage. His comment was helpful in two respects. He pointed out that add ons are just like most add-ons to homes. Most home adders do little to improve the selling price of the home. Likewise, he said that add ons play all most no role in selling price of a motor home. Second, he was saying that his anticipated selling price was low retail without add-ons which is why he had to further subtract a percentage to get trade-in value he could allow in orfer to amke a profit. The fair price to pay is what both you and seller agree meets that standard. Based on what I see in book if I was trying to do deal I'd be thinking its worth about $13k to me and I'd walk if I couldn't get it. You may not feel that way. That's what makes it both fair and interesting. 

I am by no means an expert on rv pricing, but I have owned my own retail auto sales business for more than 20 years.  I don't see how someone could put a value on the Bounder that you are looking at with the little information that you have provided.  We just do not know enough about it (miles, paint condition, mechanical condition, new tires, clean and well kept, visual appearance, etc..................).  If you are not comfortable evaluating the systems involved with a rv, have someone who is take a look at it for you.  I think if you are happy with the price and the rv,  that is all that matters.  It doesn't matter what someone else who never personally laid eyes on the unit thinks its worth.    Good luck and hope you have years of enjoyment with your first rv.      chris

chriscr250 said:
I am by no means an expert on rv pricing, but I have owned my own retail auto sales business for more than 20 years.  I don't see how someone could put a value on the Bounder that you are looking at with the little information that you have provided.  We just do not know enough about it (miles, paint condition, mechanical condition, new tires, clean and well kept, visual appearance, etc..................).  If you are not comfortable evaluating the systems involved with a rv, have someone who is take a look at it for you.  I think if you are happy with the price and the rv,  that is all that matters.  It doesn't matter what someone else who never personally laid eyes on the unit thinks its worth.     Good luck and hope you have years of enjoyment with your first rv.      chris
This is some of the BEST advise you will ever get! Good Luck!!

Thanks. I welcome all advice because I do not buy anything without knowing as much info as possible. I understand there are always people who will criticize any decision you make. I have the deal done for $15000, contingent on a RV tech I know inspecting everything on Sat. for me. I can do the mechanical but alot of the coach systems, I am not familiar with. I have the guy putting in brand new coach deep cycles and filiing with propane and resealing the roof just for my peace of mind. It drives way better than I imagined. It did not wander or shake at all. The carpet is hideous (color), but we are putting down luxury vinyl that looks like wood and is very durable and easy to maintain. It also has a brand new Onan 4000 genset with 8.5 hrs.

Enjoy it!  Heck, you can't buy a decent used car for much less than $15k.  If you're happy with it, than it should tickle us to death. :)

Don't forget to look at the date code on the tires.  Tires need to be replaced atr seven years from date of manufacture no matter how good they look.  A tire over seven years old is a blowout just waiting for the most inconveinent place to occur.  How to read tire date codes can be found HERE.

I checked out the tires. That is the only really stupid thing, someone replaced the drive tires on one side but not the other. I am going to replace all drive tires. The steer tires are about 2 years old.

tonyb2377 said:
I checked out the tires. That is the only really stupid thing, someone replaced the drive tires on one side but not the other. I am going to replace all drive tires. The steer tires are about 2 years old.

Good plan.

If you are getting what you want, then I wouldn't worry about getting a killer price. Killer prices are there for a reason, a poor coach.
Your coach looks great. If you can screw some new tires out of the dealer, and get everything in working condition, then you are getting a great coach. There will be undoubtedly some repairs along the way, but repairs come with nearly new vehicles so don't feel picked out for bad luck. RV-ing and repairs go hand in hand.
Sounds good to me, get your friend to take a good look at it, and good luck.
Rankjo

Go for it!  It looks really clean and well cared for.

Margi and Tom

2005 Bounder PD - Original owners -- have never "upgraded".  We love our Bounder.  :D

Margi

Pretty sure it has the in tank fuel pump. Check it out. If it hasn't been replaced get ready to.

Tony:

Good luck with the Bounder.

Here are several articles in our library that might help on a final inspection

Thanks to everyone for the support. I should be taking delivery today. The first thing we are doing is remove the hideous blue carpet. My good friend owns a flooring store so I am getting Konecto luxury vinyl at cost to put down through out the coach. If you have never seen this stuff, it is awesome. It looks like wood (or tile) and is sold in planks or tiles just like laminate. It is extremely durable, resistant to chemicals, waterproof and is guaranteed not to chip or crack. I am going to do a walnut color in the prestige.

Check the tires date, check for any delamination on the fiberglass, check the roof, if its rubber and has chalking, it may need to be resealed, and check for any leaks. check all appliances too. Heck check everything.  ;D

Back
Top Bottom