Extending non-immigrant visa stays

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
Trouble is we enjoy America so much that could be quite a date away.

Be sure not to exceed your visa limit Mick. At the very least, go to Canada or Mexico for a day or so and come back in to restart the clock.

An i-539 form says you're changing or extending your non-immigrant status. I hope you have someone to guide you through that process. Good luck and please come back and let us know the process and the outcome.

Here's a matrix of i-539 filing requirements. Good luck navigating the treacherous path. Get it wrong and these folks can be mean.

Be VERY careful with the 539 Mick - the form is easy to complete, as long as you have some PROOF that you intend to leave at the end of your applied-for period.

If you do the 539, DO NOT send it off until a day or two before your B2 6-months expires (the rules state it has to be in the postal system before your B2 expires).

They were working nearly 6 months behind processing the forms when we did ours, so even if they turn down your application you will get nearly 6 months extra anyway.

I would seriously consider that cheap cruise out of the US and see if they give you a new 6 month stamp on your return (speak to Lindsay as he did this). In fact, Im sure they would jump at the chance to go with you.  ;D

I dont think you can apply for another extension after you have been given an I539 extension, so if you go that route you will have to leave after only spending a year in the US.

Good Luck
Paul

Paul,

We were going to cross into Canada as our visa expired and stay there for about 5 months before returning to the US and hopefully a second visa...........it is Lindsay who has advised us on doing it the 'proper way' by completing the i-539 ........... ge wiz I bet the illegals don't get a head ache like I've got  ??? ??? ??? ??? 

Hey Mick did you hear what happened to Chris on his way back from Mexico

Gonna let us into the secret Ian  ???

Tom
Chris is a brit that was touring the states on a visa waiver ie 3 months ,  his trip to Mexico was to get his third entry (extension) into the States.Aparently the imigration officer gave him 5 days to get out of the States.This may be the reason he is now refused a 6 month visa ?

Ian,

That's an example of why we're trying to limit access of illegal immigrants to the USA  ;D

We've been trying for centuries to do the same thing with entrance to Wales. Offa's Dyke was a good start, but then the English built the Aust/Beachley ferry. The ferry got shut down, but they built a bridge across the Severn.

Tom said:
Ian,

That's an example of why we're trying to limit access of illegal immigrants to the USA  ;D

We've been trying for centuries to do the same thing with entrance to Wales. Offa's Dyke was a good start, but then the English built the Aust/Beachley ferry. The ferry got shut down, but they built a bridge across the Severn.

Beggin' your pardon, Gov.  Wasn't Offa an English king?  What makes you think he was trying to keep Englishers out of Wales -- as opposed to the opposite?  ;D

Works either way. It's still a wall whichever direction you try to cross it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nativoacai
Back
Top Bottom