Cooling Fan damage.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ron

Moderator Emeritus
While at the Spartan Service Center the tech noticed the radiator fan was beginning to show signs of splitting on the fan blades.  This may have been caused by rocks hitting the fan blade.  Anyhow we had the fan blade replaced.  I examined the removed fan and found the splitting condition appeared to be spreading and it would have just been a matter of time before the fan would have come apart possibly causing other damage.

Interesting that when ever I lube the coach or am in the area I look at the fan for rock damage.  Since I had just looked the fan over prior to leaving Sam's Camp in may the may have been damage on the way to Mich or possibly it ha some small chips in it that I had not detected.  In any case it is a good thing to look at once in awhile.

As usual the Spartan Service center has done an excellent job and we will be departing tomorrow as satisfied customers again.

Ron,

Thanks for that info. I haven't looked at mine lately but did have a shield put on to prevent stones from hitting the radiator. Hopefully it will help prevent them from bouncing into the fan as well. I'll have to check mine before we head out again.

The damaged fan could have happend any time but may have been small enough that it was not readily visable.  Maybe I was luckier than some and just the fan was damaged verses the radiator being damaged.  I am thankful the Techs at Spartan are alert and look for possible anomalies while they are working in the area.

Ron,

I had Skippy put on the screen so hopefully he looked around for additional problems. This was about two years ago.

I do appear to have a slight exhaust leak somewhere near the rear. I have soot all over the ladder extension. Need to crawl into the engine compartment and take a look. I don't hear anything unusual or see anything. Just the residue on the ladder.

I also have been reading about the new Pac Brake. Sounds like an improvement over my existing brake. I don't feel much retarding at all, only the downshifting. Occasionally I can feel a little retarding. I checked to be sure the actuator was still moving. I do need to get some lube for it.

For possible exhaust leak check for broken or missing bolts on the Exhaust manifold.  Have talked to a few folks that have had broken manifold bolts.  This is not limited to any one coach manufacturer.

You can order the lube from Paq Brake or Spartan.  Should be lubed every few months.

Ron,

Yep, have to unload everything under the bed and crawl in there. :)

I have the 800# to call for the lube. Just happened to spot it on the AC Yahoo site.

ACE hardware carries super lube too at some stores.  There is also a super lube by the same company packaged in aerosol cans that can be used from what I was told.

Ron said:
ACE hardware carries super lube too at some stores.  There is also a super lube by the same company packaged in aerosol cans that can be used from what I was told.

I still have a can of the spray can super lube from when we had the UltraSport with PacBrake.

I got a bottle of the Pac Brake version from Freightliner.

Tom:

Off the thread but the reply I just made above shows a time of 12:22AM while my computer clock shows 10:22PM (Correct time) .  ??? ??? ???

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom