12v light fixture

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scottydl

Site Team
I need a new 12v light fixture for our kitchen/entryway area.  The original one was the generic RV "rectangle" light, two sides with the switch in the middle.  The previous owner had left a more ornate brass (or faux brass anyway) fixture in a storage cabinet, which I mounted... but all the parts aren't there to attach the cover.  Looks weird.  Any suggestions on where to find these kinds of things?  An RV salvage yard/shop would be ideal if there were one anywhere near me.  I looked on eBay and got real excited about the simple desgin and low price of this one, that is until I read a little further down and realized it is a 1/12 model light for a dollhouse.  ::)

I converted some Home Depot 110 volt halogen brass finish light fixtures (two 20w 12v bulbs) to run on 12 volts.  Just removed the 110 volt to 12 volt transforms from the inside and re-connected the wires.  You can put 20w or 10w or 5w 12 volt halogin bulbs in them for the light level you need.  In general the RV store 12 volt fixtures look to plasticeee to me.

The attached picture shows two such lights installed above out day beds

Attachments

• Bathroom Jump Seat - small.JPG
    Bathroom Jump Seat - small.JPG
    124.9 KB · Views: 50
rbell said:
Camping World has a pretty good assortment of lights.

I couldn't find much other than fluorescents in their online system.  As far as their actual store, I only wish that was a realistic option.  The closest CW store to me is 120 miles or so.  :(

Len and Jo said:
I converted some Home Depot 110 volt halogen brass finish light fixtures (two 20w 12v bulbs) to run on 12 volts.  Just removed the 110 volt to 12 volt transforms from the inside and re-connected the wires.

Well now that's an interesting idea.  But I'm not sure I've ever seen a 110v "household" light fixture that comes with 12v bulbs.  Are those mixed in with all the other lighting, or in a different area?

Did that myself, also for regular "Edison base" (Screw in) bulbs you can get 12 volt in a couple of different wattages, More if you go to a full service electrical store.

As usual, my objective is to get a decent replacement fixture as low-cost as possible.  So that will require some prolonged shopping around it seems.  The websites provided so far either feature mostly (1) recessed lighting (I guess that's used a lot in boats) that would require me cutting into my ceiling, or (2) fixtures made of *real* brass, etc. that's way out of my price range.  I'll have to see what I can find in the way of 110v setups that can be converted to 12v.

I'm on the same quest - for reading lights.

It looks like you're close to a half a tank of diesel each.

I've pretty much focused in on these lights. (The fisherman style)

Comments?

Joel

Scotty,
Many of the halogen reading and table lamps, and some hanging lamps are 12V already, but powered by a 120VAC transformer. No conversion is necessary; just hook up the wires from the fixture to the battery circuit instead of the transformer.

Karl said:
Many of the halogen reading and table lamps, and some hanging lamps are 12V already, but powered by a 120VAC transformer. No conversion is necessary; just hook up the wires from the fixture to the battery circuit instead of the transformer.

Will a casual look at the fixture show that setup?  All the fixtures currently in my motorhome use the small 12v automotive bulbs, so that's what I figured I needed.  It's nice to know I have more options, since as joel mentioned the decent-looking 12v fixtures are anything but affordable.

Scotty,
The bulbs look quite different from 120V bulbs (or automotive bulbs) and the boxes should say something like 'low voltage lighting' or 'transformer operated'. Look at the plug end. If there's a wall wart (small transformer) there, you can be reasonably sure it's what your looking for. Check the label on the transformer and it should list the output voltage at 11-13 volts. That's a dead giveaway. Avoid any that are not in that voltage range, as you can't run them on 12V.

You might find something at an off-the-grid solar lighting store.

Backwoods Solar Electric Systems has several compact fluorescent and LED lights, including a globe like the one you pictured.  Unfortunately, their website does not support direct links to specific products.  Click on the "Select a Product" box, then scroll down to Lighting and/or LED lighting.  The globe is about halfway down the Lighting page.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom