Best Way To Tow A Mototrcycle Behind A MH?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ezrider said:
My Harley is too big and heavy (850 lbs) to walk up a ramp. The windshield comes off pretty easy. Very curious if I can ride it up into something like a Ford Econoline van? If I can make a van work it would keep the bike out of the weather and we could carry some additional gear and keep it dry too. Is a van a dumb idea to tow behind a MH?

ezrider,

My Harley Sportster is too tall to fit through the back doors of my Ford Econoline van, without the windshield. Since your bike is 850 lbs. it is obviously bigger than my Sportster. I would suggest some measuring before considering a van.

Mark

Mark, Would you post the height of your Sportie.  The Ducati is higher than most Sportsters I have seen.  I'll get some measurements on the Hypermotard so we can compare.
EZ, I have never loaded an 850lb motorcycle into the back of a van.  I did load my FL onto a flatbed using a narrow ramp but that is another story.  I think your bike will fit without the windshield.  I would suggest you go to the dealer and discuss it with them.  Your clearance at the top could be a problem so a long ramp would be necessary.  An electric winch could be mounted and you would merely have to balance the bike.  My research was towards a lighter bike with more clearance.  I think you could do this but research will have to be done.
I need to go over to the HD dealer, which is near me, and look at some FL's.  KZ, What model do you have?
Phil

Phil,
That Hypermotard Duck is one fine looking machine! I remember the first time I saw a single-sided swingarm (BMW, I think) on track with all the Suzukis and Yamahas and thought "Hmmm... there's something wrong with this picture. Something's missing" :)

Hi Karl,
That Hypermotard is quite the machine.  Light, quick, capable of two up and has folding mirrors stock.  It is a sweet package for the lifestyle we are embracing.  I know the dealer, he was a neighbor when I was a stick and brick man.  I took the van in and we loaded it with absolutely no problem.  The singlesided swingarm I first ran into was with BMW's.  I later got a Ducati 916 that had the system.  It is not the best for racing due to flex but is extremely handy for us street oriented folks.  My HP2 has it.  The HP2 comes with two wheels, street and dirt, so wheel changing is more frequent.  I have had to make so many compromises and changes in order to fulltime because of motorcycles.  Hours have been spent pondering the best way to do things.  The van really speaks to all things wrapped in one for us with the exception of mpg.
God Bless,
Phil 

Ezrider,

When traveling, I load either one of my bikes in the back of the Frontier and then place the ramp in the cab behind the seats.  If I was too concerned about keeping the bikes free of dust and dirt, I would never have time to get off the farm.  Riding year round, for the sake of riding not MPG, has been my objective since hopping on my first minibike in the early 70's.  If the bike gets too dirty, I wash.  If they break, I fix.  Enjoy the ride and don't sweat a little dirt.

Thomas

PS I have never been a fan of covers on motorcycles...chafing action caused by the wind can do a number on the paint job.

Hey Thomas, I hear you about always having to stay on the farm due to dirt roads.  I like to keep my bike dirt free as much as the next person and it rated high on my list.  The highest consideration on the list was security for my motorcycle and bicycles.  Pull into a Walmart I want to wake up and find my bike where I put it and not vandalized.  When we get where we are going the van will be the ideal toad allowing us to get down to the beach or haul the motorcycles somewhere and then be able to sleep in it!  The bonus is that we will have room for two bikes, possibly a dirt bike and a sport bike or even a scooter.  Brings happiness to this old man ;D.
Phil

I'm still seeking the best solution for keeping my 850lb Harley touring bike out of the weather and open. I like than van idea a lot. As I'm just starting my reasearch on the subject I sure would like to hear from someone who has determined what the smallest sized van is that you can get a Harley Ultra into?

Thank you.

EZ, lot depends on the MH as well.  Gassers typically only have a cap of 5000 lb towing, DP's typically 10,000.  Notice typically!  I see a lot of different solutions here.  One I saw I liked, flatbed with a side ramp for bike near hitch, had a frame and vinyl cover over bike area.  Then room for a small car on the trailer. 

I put my bike in an encosed trailer with door ramp.  Works great but no car along. 

Friend of mine just sold his trrailer which held his bike and car.  Made by Haulmark.  He had it made, had a longer tongue for easy towing behind MH. 

EZ, Measure the highest point on your bike without the windscreen and mirrors.  Also checK the width as well.  I'll get some numbers from my van.  Dodge also has those hightop vans.  I know nothing of them.  You might eyeball some of those.  What sort of weight can your bus haul?  KBB.com has the specs on vans as well.  I have not seen many folks who have gone this route and the 850lb FL makes it even rarer.
Phil

We set out in the spring of 05 full time towing an enclosed trailer with a motorcycle and had a good time but by the end of the first year we knew we needed a car too. Sold the trailer and bought a Tandem Tow Dolly, which hauls the bike and car. This work very well behind our gas class A. We now have diesel class A and am tiring to sell the dolly so I can get a motorcycle lift for the motorhome and tow the car flat.

FBL

Hey KZ, You might want to look at the Sprinters, (Dodge Van).  Diesel engine, good mpg, under 5000lbs, better equipped than Ford or Chevy and of course more expensive.  Low load height and you can get them with high roofs!
Phil

Ezrider,

You could also look at a custom cab for a pickup. Here are a couple possibilities I found on the internet:

http://www.campway.com/products/cshells.html

http://www.customcarandtruck.com/clearance.htm

I am sure someone is willing to build or currently building a hard or soft shell cover that could meet you needs.

Thomas

Do NOT put a cover on your bike while traveling !! It WILL rip your paint up from the wind flapping against the bike. I don't care how well you think you have it secured, it WILL rip the paint up. I'm not trying to scare you, but I've seen this several times as I often go to places like Daytona, Myrtle ect with my Harley and I've seen first hand what covers have done to some of the most beautiful paint jobs in the world. Sad ...

You are in a tuff spot, but one that I'm sure several of us wish we could be in. You have the ability, time, health, $$$$, and toys to be able to travel and see the good ole USA. Props to you !!

First of all, I'd scrap the whole van idea. Your bike MAY fit into it, but it'll be tight and I'm sure you'll scrape up the sides of the bike at least once loading it into the van. I suspect it'll be a REAL PITA, and thus I think you'll find yourself taking the van on trips with your harley still in the back of it.

Here's what I'd do ...

I'd get myself a small car like a Neon, and a Haulmark enclosed trailer that both the car and the Harley will fit into. That way both are protected, and both can easily be loaded and unloaded. Depending on the size of the car, you'll probably only need a trailer that's about 20' long. Figure on the bike being 8'.

mayfair,

Thanks for the good idea. Would a 20' trailer behind a 43-45' MH be a problem with length rstrictions anywhere?

I am trying to avoid the problem of being stuck in a spot where I have to back a trailer up behind the MH, with a vehicle it is easy enough to unhook and get it out of the way if need be in a backing up situation.

Some of the commercial vans I'm seeing on the road sure look big enough to get my Harley Ultra into?

I'll be at Bike Week in Daytona the first week in March, will sure be looking at options for this there.

Thank you.

tmar10,

Your links are a great find. I will definitley be checking those products out, looks very promising!

What an outstanding thread this has become on the subject of towing a motorcycle behind a motorhome!

let's keep it going...

Thanks to everyone

I hear ya about the trailer & length issues. I'm still not a fan of the van idea though UNLESS one of those automatic  bed loaders can be installed in a van and used in the van instead of a pick up. Then I'd be 100% all for it. You might want to ask about that while in Daytona.

I think trying to drive a bike into a van has too many issues. Besides having ramps to secure to the back of the van and also to store, you'll also have to duck while driving the bike up and into the van. That would be a real PITA even on a dry day. I'm sure it would be a nightmare on a rainy day. Those automatic bed loaders are VERY cool. Expensive, but cool.

Another option ( and I don't know if it even is one ) would be to have one of those automatic loaders in the back of a truck, as well as a cap on the truck that also raises and lowers. That way when loading the bike, you'd raise the cap up, load the bike, and then when all done you'd lowver the cap down over the bike. I honestly don't think this is as impossible as it sounds. All you'd need is 4 atuators mounted in the stake holes.

Yeah ..... NOW I've got you thinking !!  ;D

I have seen a new type of motorcycle trailer that has a fiberglass enclosure. it hinges from the front so all you do is drive onto the trailer, secure the bike and lower the top. I'm wondering if something like this could be adapted for a pickup bed? Of course, it would be semi-permanent so it wouldn't move when traveling. Not sure just how one could secure it and then remove it easily. I'll bet there is a way.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom