Best Way To Tow A Mototrcycle Behind A MH?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No decision yet, but thanks for asking. Going to Daytona Bike Week in two weeks and will look around while I'm there too. I still like the van idea the best.

Ezrider,

You need to ride the bike to Daytona. Then you can get the bumper sticker that says "I rode my bike to trailer week"! ;D I should get one since I rode mine to Daytona last year. Of course, we're only an hour south. :)

This is the first year in I couldn't tell you how many years that I won't be making it down to Daytona in March. My friends that I usually travel with are complaining abou the high cost of fuel to get there and back and they're absolutely right to do so. We trailer our bikes down there simply because we can get there faster doing it this way. I'm still shooting for October though. I love riding from Daytona into Key West. That 7 mile bridge is heaven on earth.

If you are interrested, here is one of my scoots. This is the one I usually take on my trip into the Keys

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y15/godonnygo/Picture035.jpg

Have a safe trip EZ !!

Sweet ride mayfair, I never get tired of seeing that anniversary paint job.

I live on the west coast of Florida so it's an easy trip for us to Daytona. Sometimes we actually trailer over if we're going to be there for the whole week if the weather predictions are for nasty. Have to say I like the Sturgis event better though.

I've got a 1993 FXWDG that that I bought new and tricked out with a long chopper front end and American flag in flames paint job. My traveling bike is a 2000 Ultra Classic that I also bought new, this is the one I'll be taking with the MH.

Hi Mayfair & EZRider,

As you know there are more trailered bikes at Daytona that those that are ridden. Sure makes sense especially those coming from the frozen north. We are lucky in FL since it's an easy trip. I certainly would not want to ride from our previous home in CT to Daytona. 1200 miles of which much would be miserable weather.

If anyone gets over to Daytona, let me know. We may be able to get together.

I have lived aboard my 92 Safari Continental for a year. I tow a 12' tandem trailer in which reside my Harley Sportster and a Honda Reflex scooter.  I also built in a work bench and cabinets so essentially, I'm towing my garage/workshop with me everywhere and it's worked out great.

I knew I shoulda called, but I was over and back in a day and didn't ride in the dark.  Only had the day and had a list to do. 

Went to Deland for the vintage stuff.  wanted parts for my Norton which could not be found.  Oh well.

I was there in Weds.

EZ, where in west coast of FL?

PancakeBill said:
I knew I shoulda called, but I was over and back in a day and didn't ride in the dark.  Only had the day and had a list to do. 

Went to Deland for the vintage stuff.  wanted parts for my Norton which could not be found.  Oh well.

I was there in Weds.

EZ, where in west coast of FL?

Bill,

One of these days we will get together!!! I can't explain where the winter months go. We will be headed north again around 1 April. Someday that has got to end.

Jiim
I'll be heading north on 4/1 also, but I will leap frog up to Norfolk via AirTrans to pick up Jolene.  She is with my daughters family, helping tend Amelia Rose, born on 3/14.  I'll go up spend a day and 1/2 and drive her back to FL. 

Next year! 

Hey EZ, Any news on getting the motorcycle down the road?  How was Daytona?  I am selling my HP2 as it is too high for the E150.  Will be getting a lower bike, perhaps a standard.  Any great ideas at Daytona? 
Phil

PancakeBill said:
Jiim
I'll be heading north on 4/1 also, but I will leap frog up to Norfolk via AirTrans to pick up Jolene.  She is with my daughters family, helping tend Amelia Rose, born on 3/14.  I'll go up spend a day and 1/2 and drive her back to FL. 

Next year! 

Congratulations, Grandpa!!! :) Hope to see you in the fall. I seem to be saying that to quite a few folks. Life after retardment is awfully busy.

ezrider..........just joined the forum and read your post. I scanned the posts and don't think I saw Hydralift mentioned. If it was excuse me. We have a Hydralift for a quad and love it. They make a bike lift with an optional "garage" to protect the bike. It's a soft cover on a pole system so it doesn't touch the bike and it can be used portable to protect the bike on the ground also. You can tow your toad beneath the lift. It's a top quality product with outstanding support form the company. A little pricey, but you get what you pay for and it'll take care of your bike investment.

Hydralift

Attachments

• DSC08204.jpg
    DSC08204.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 34
Hi Bruce,

Those lifts are great and I see you have the rig for it, a motor home with a tag axle. Many times a motor home without the tag is grossly overloaded when using one of those lifts. If anyone is contemplating such a lift they should use the formula, which I think is on the Blue Ox website, for figuring out the total weight placed on the rear axle when hanging a heavy load on the hitch. I checked mine for a small 350 lb bike on a manual ramp. It was placing 600lbs of weight on the axle!! :) It also would remove an equivalent amount from the front axle.

You're right Jim. Some coaches might have a hard time with the extra weight. I called Beaver and Hydralift and suggest anyone installing any kind of lift or platform on the back of a coach to check their own situation. Most DPs don't have a problem and some gas are OK. I noticed ezrider was interested in a 43' - 45' coach so he'll have a tag which can handle it. A motorcycle isn't as much a weight problem as a quad or golf cart, because it rides closer to the back end of the coach.

As I recall EZ was looking for a way to haul his bike without exposing it to the elements.  He went to Daytona and was hoping to get some ideas.  Have not heard a decision from him.
Phil

Anyone riding thier bike on the second Friday at Daytona was certainly exposed to the elements,glad i took the truck that day

Ian H said:
Anyone riding thier bike on the second Friday at Daytona was certainly exposed to the elements,glad i took the truck that day

Ian,

That was a bad day!!! We went up on Sunday but most vendors were closed. I expected that but it was a nice ride with the group from here. I went with our group on the first Saturday and then my wife and I went Wednesday and Thursday to have the bike pin striped. Second day was just to add a little more to the front fender since it looked out of place. ;D

Jim
You mean we were both there on Weds?  Who did your pinstriping and whre was the booth.  There is a really good guy at Cabbagge Patch.

PancakeBill said:
Jim
You mean we were both there on Weds?  Who did your pinstriping and whre was the booth.  There is a really good guy at Cabbagge Patch.

I think so but that was a few weeks ago. I might have one of the days wrong but I don't think so. :) The booth was behind the Harley dealership on Beach St. Wish I had known you were there!!

Jim    We camped at Orange City RV Resort but the ride in for Doreen on the small pad on the choppers fender wasn't that comfy so we alternated the days with the truck.If we do daytona next year we should arrange a meet
Ian

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom