New Dodge 2500 Diesel - Finally

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
E

egdeaile

Hi all,

I don't post often, but I wanted someplace to boast a little, so please bear with me....

Back in August, I bought a 1999 Dodge 2500 with the 5.9 Diesel. It was decked out with everything... leather, premium audio, everything! It was wonderfully clean and ran like a dream. Well, three weeks later I got on some loose dirt (without the trailer) and wound up flipping it twice- completely totaled.

So, I bought an old Chevy to get me home, but it was old and did not run well. And, with 6mpg towing, it was terribly expensive just to operate. So...

I found myself in a position with some money burning a hole in my pocket, and decided it was time to replace that clunker. So yesterday I took delivery of my 2008 Dodge 2500HD Cummins Turbo Diesel. It's a black quad cab. It's a beautiful truck, and I can't wait to get her ready to tow. I have an appointment to get my hitch installed later this week! I can't wait to put that baby on the back and pull away for the first time...

Anyways, if anyone has any experience/ tricks or difficulties that can easily be worked out with the new dodges, please let me know. Also, if anyone tows around 8000 lbs, please let me know what kind of mileage you get on your 6.7L Cummins.

If you keep you speed down (revs between 19k and 21k) then you will get 12-14 MPG pulling -- at least thats what I get pulling close to 8 Tons.  Empty once its broke in you'll get upwards of 22MPG empty.  Crank the speed up to 70 and your mileage will suffer drasticly. 

Things you may also want to add - 
                rear inner fender guards ($100 from Dodge)
                Weston protective guard for the AC cooler in front of the intercooler (available thru Genos Garage for around $70)

Congratulations on your new TD Ram!  As owner of a 1999 TD since new with 140000+ miles on it (and still right side up) I feel your pleasure.

For all of your TD questions -- truck and towing -- the following site, http://www.turbodieselregister.com, is to the Dodge Ram Diesel what this site is to the RV world -- a great group of fellow owners more than willing to help!

Wishing you the best for at least the next 200,000 miles.

Thanks to all...

Buckle823- it is equipped with a Class IV receiver hitch, however, I tow a fifth wheel, so I need that installed. I did it myself on the Chevy, but I'm not drilling holes in my new baby- I'll let the experts do that!

I needed to drive it 500 miles before I can tow any load, so today I took it up to Boston and back. First time spending more than 30 minutes behind the wheel. It's very comfortable and I was up to 19 mpg on the flat part. Whole trip I averaged 16. Not to bad for all that awesome power it can put out!

Congrats on the new truck.  Look into one of these.

I've got one on my Dodge 3500 4x4 (Empty weight 8400#) and it gives me double the number of forward speeds. Splitting the gears really helps when pulling a trailer. More importantly, I get 22.5 mpg on the highway when driving at a steady 65 mph.

Chet18013

Chet18013 said:
Congrats on the new truck.  Look into one of these.

I've got one on my Dodge 3500 4x4 (Empty weight 8400#) and it gives me double the number of forward speeds. Splitting the gears really helps when pulling a trailer. More importantly, I get 22.5 mpg on the highway when driving at a steady 65 mph.

Chet18013

How did your truck get so heavy?  My '06 3500 4wd QC LWB CTD 6 speed, with running boards, bed tool box/fuel tank (empty), tonneau cover, Reese hitch etc weighs 7800# at the truck scales.  Must be a dually.  US Gear also makes a nice overdrive.  Cheers.

dhamblet said:
How did your truck get so heavy?  My '06 3500 4wd QC LWB CTD 6 speed, with running boards, bed tool box/fuel tank (empty), tonneau cover, Reese hitch etc weighs 7800# at the truck scales.  Must be a dually.  US Gear also makes a nice overdrive.  Cheers.

It was factory ordered as a chassis cab with duals. I then installed a custom toolbox body with a built in 6.5 KW generator. I looked into the USGear unit and like the GV one much better. It has planetary gears and can be shifted much easier. Also it's more rugged.  Towed a 3 axle 40'Teton that weighted 15,800+ empty. Never had an trouble on hills. I like the truck so much, that I kept it when we sold the Teton and got a Beaver Marquis.

Chet

Back
Top Bottom