Julian to Borrego Springs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BernieD

Once we leave Happy Trails this week, we would like to route thru Yuma, El Centro, Julian, Borrego Springs and to North Palm Springs. Truckers Atlas and Garmin both show many squiglies on the El Centro/Julian/Borrego Springs segments. Not interested in any nail biting experience. Any suggestions or warnings ??? ???

As I recall when we drove the toad to Julian from Borrego Springs Sam anounced that is one road we will not be taking the MH on.

Bernie

From Yuma I would go I-8 West to exit 112(Forrestor RD) to SR 78 to SR 86 to CR S22  & park your rig in Borrego Springs & then drive your toad up to Julian.....Parking is a bear in Julian for motorhomes.

Bernie,

Terry's suggestion is a good one.  The Anza Borrego/Borrego Springs and Julian area are my stomping grounds.  I've trailered horses all over that part of the country.  And I've driven up and down the grades with both horse trailers and the coach, both into Julian and into Anza Borrego/Borrego Springs.  Julian would be a mess for a motorhome.  Parking is bad and the road is narrow.  However, you need to try the Julian pie!!! Yummmm!

You've probably already made your plans as to where to stay, but Stagecoach Trails is a passport america park.  Stagecoach trails is the closest campground into Julian.  It does not have cell phone service.  However, if you drive, one to two miles, outside of the campground on the road outside of the park at the intersection of S2 and S22, also called "Scissor's crossing", you will have cell coverage.  There is nothing to do at Stage Coach Trails; but the night sky is fabulous.  Just up from the campground is a canyon called "Blair Canyon".  Lots of telescope people stay there for night sky viewing.  We have a 10inch Schmidt Cassogram automated telescope and take it when ever we go out that way because the night viewing is so good.

Wish we lived closer, we'd meet you out there.

Marsha~

Thanks for the responses. We just found a free 2 nite coupon for the KQ Ranch in Julian. The coupon has to be a couple of years old so KQ may no longer exist. It kind of looks like we'll go straight to Borrego Springs and drive the car to Julian.

BernieD said:
Thanks for the responses. We just found a free 2 nite coupon for the KQ Ranch in Julian. The coupon has to be a couple of years old so KQ may no longer exist. It kind of looks like we'll go straight to Borrego Springs and drive the car to Julian.

Good plan.  KQ has a website at http://www.kqranchresort.com/.  Looks ok but it is going to be a bit cool I fear.  Nights at Julian in the 30s.  Borrego Springs is going to be more than a tad warmer.  RV sites at Borrego include my favoirte Palm Canyon RV Resort and the Borrege Palms CG of the Anza Borrego State Desert Park.  Borrego is a week end spot for San Diego so week day sites should be readily available.

Carl

But what about the route from El Centro to Julian to Borrego Springs? Everyone seems to warn against it ??? ???

BernieD said:
Carl

But what about the route from El Centro to Julian to Borrego Springs? Everyone seems to warn against it ??? ???
Obviously some folks have traveled it but I think it would be an adventure that I just as soon miss.

BernieD said:
Carl

You climb 6000 feet going into Julian and then lose 4500 feet quickly.  CA-79 and 78 to Julian is two lane mountain road.  CA78 toward Borrego Springs via Yaqui Pass is twisty mountain road.  I would camp at Borrego Springs and do Julian as a day trip in the car.  Better weather, less fuel used.  Besides Julian will be cold and off season.  Borrego will be pleasant and in season.  Lots of good back country exploring -- jeep tours available.

Julian had snow today and subject to snow showers and/or frost for the next day or so. There were also one or twol fatal road accidents in the Pine Valley / Descanso area (I- 8 ) due to black ice and excessive speed.  However, Coming from El Centro, I think the safer bet would be I-8 west to R-79 East at Descanso.  R-79 is two lane but very driveable and, of course, I-8 is a 2 - 3 lane freeway.  Travelling north on R-79 there are no nail-biting drops or severe bends heading into Julian.  You also go right past KQ Ranch and another campsite - Pinezanita, 3 - 4 miles before Julian itself.  There are also camping facilities (for sure) and hook-ups (I think) at Lake Cuyamaca about halfway between Descanso and Julian on R-79. I've travelled those highways in both directions while towing without any issues whatsoever. 

The weather in the north San Diego area for the next few days or so is sunny with highs at Julian in the mid 50s, though there is a slight possibility of a rain shower or two next week-end. That could translate to sow flurries for Julian at the 4500' level.  For more info: www.JulianCA.com

BT

BernieD said:
Once we leave Happy Trails this week, we would like to route thru Yuma, El Centro, Julian, Borrego Springs and to North Palm Springs. Truckers Atlas and Garmin both show many squiglies on the El Centro/Julian/Borrego Springs segments. Not interested in any nail biting experience. Any suggestions or warnings ??? ???

Bernie,

You do not want to bring the rig down S22 into Borrego Springs!! It's a constant job for the driver to keep their eyes on the road and make all the hairpin turns. You most likely would be in 1st gear most of the way. It's a beautiful drive but not one for a big rig. I think Russ is the only one I've ever heard to try it and that was going up to Julian, not coming down!! ;D ;D

K Q Ranch is a Colorado River Adventure Park. (membership) Located on hwy 79.  You will be pressured to buy a membership.  We have travel that road with a 35' 5'er without a problem.  Speeds are around 35.  There are other private campgrounds, and a state campground there, so there is a lot of rv traffic.  You'll be in the San Diego mountains, so just take it slow and easy.

Barb

It looks like the leg between Julian and Borrego Springs is the killer and we won't be attempting it with the coach. We'll have to bypass the sales pitch at KQ Ranch and just go straight to Borrego Springs. Thanks all for the suggestions and replies.

Jim Dick said:
Bernie,

You do not want to bring the rig down S22 into Borrego Springs!! It's a constant job for the driver to keep their eyes on the road and make all the hairpin turns. You most likely would be in 1st gear most of the way. It's a beautiful drive but not one for a big rig. I think Russ is the only one I've ever heard to try it and that was going up to Julian, not coming down!! ;D ;D

Agreed!   I did it once, down, in first, engraving finger prints on the steering wheel.  That punched my ticket for the rest of my life.   Up is not too bad if you have good headroom on your tow rating and you do not mind 3-4 miles in first gear.   I have scaled the grade on a map at 11%.

BernieD said:
It looks like the leg between Julian and Borrego Springs is the killer and we won't be attempting it with the coach. We'll have to bypass the sales pitch at KQ Ranch and just go straight to Borrego Springs. Thanks all for the suggestions and replies.

Good choice Bernie and I am sure Marlene will appreciate your decision when you take the care up. ;D ;D

Carl L said:
Agreed!  I did it once, down, in first, engraving finger prints on the steering wheel.  That punched my ticket for the rest of my life.  Up is not too bad if you have good headroom on your tow rating and you do not mind 3-4 miles in first gear.  I have scaled the grade on a map at 11%.

Carl,

We had one trip down the mountain in the toad along with the Brewers. Stopped close to the bottom as there were many cars pulled over. There were several mountain goats grazing on the hillside. A car pulled in front of where I was parked. All I could smell was brakes!! He got out and was wondering what might cause it!!!! Told him to try shifting into a lower gear and not ride the brakes constantly. I made sure we got out of there well before him!

Jim

>>I think Russ is the only one I've ever heard to try it and that was going up to Julian, not coming down!!<<

I've gone up/down that road a couple of times & that's the reason I don't recommend it in a motorhome.<G>

Terry A. Brewer said:
Jim

>>I think Russ is the only one I've ever heard to try it and that was going up to Julian, not coming down!!<<

I've gone up/down that road a couple of times & that's the reason I don't recommend it in a motorhome.<G>

Terry,

I'm surprised!!! I thought Russ was the only one. ;D Since we both have done it in cars I would not have guessed you did it in the coach. I wonder what Betty was thinking??? ;D ;D ;D

Jim

I was coming & going from Outdoor resorts in Temecula & didn't want to go way out of my way.....Going up is much more pleasant than coming down.<G>

Terry,

I would certainly agree with you, up is better in a coach. However, I really enjoy the down in a car. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom